First Plymouth 1949 Special Deluxe

Tim Larson

Had a nice hour long drive around central MN this evening. Haven’t been able to take Myrtle out since Sunday with all the rain! Ran great and got a couple of waves. I also upgraded the door hardware.

137EFA5B-E7A7-4B3C-AF2F-4A981E80393A.jpeg

4FAFB4EC-C876-4D26-BBFD-2FE16A72F2E5.jpeg

11964A20-85EF-4A1E-B9EB-D55475A48F99.jpeg

8ECC170C-8152-400F-ADA9-DBFBCDEEAD66.jpeg

1F97F012-9C84-4EF9-AF1E-7C665F8799E8.jpeg

3308E761-EA5C-4F1A-96BA-76C78EC838EA.jpeg

0A81F3CD-7969-4961-BC48-2BB721E3B953.jpeg

Edited by tjlarson88
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's a frosty morning here in MN today and I didn't feel like scraping windows on my Buick Century so I drove Myrtle to work! A few pumps of the accelerator and she fired right up. It's a very short 4 mile drive to work, but still nice to be driving the car this late in October. As long as snow holds off I'll be taking her out. Got in a good 95 mile drive last Sunday.

Sorry, no new photos this morning...

Edited by tjlarson88

1 minute ago, Ernie Baily said:

Hi,  Does your heater work? My heater in my 48 Ply 2dr sedan warmups great "So Cozy" when the heater is on!  Great looking car Have Fun with it!

Yes, it does! I drove it this past Sunday for a couple of hours and with temps in the 30s it was nice to have the heater running. Thanks for the compliment it is the nicest car I own and very fun to drive. 

Glad to see you enjoying your old Mopar. Life’s grand while looking through the split windshield of an old Mopar. Ducking under the visor to try and see a streetlight color. What a great ride. Enjoy it. I feel a sick day commin’ on tomorrow. I will take my old Chrysler out for a cruise.  You’ve stirred emotions over here. It’s time to crank the heat, turn up the AM radio and go for a Hallowe’en drive. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Glad to see you enjoying your old Mopar. Life’s grand while looking through the split windshield of an old Mopar. Ducking under the visor to try and see a streetlight color. What a great ride. Enjoy it. I feel a sick day commin’ on tomorrow. I will take my old Chrysler out for a cruise.  You’ve stirred emotions over here. It’s time to crank the heat, turn up the AM radio and go for a Hallowe’en drive. 

Keith, I really have enjoyed having this car the last few months. I've added about 1000 miles to the odometer since June. Yes, it must burn some oil as I've probably added 2-3 quarts since changing oil right after I bought it, but if that's what I need to do them I will, for now. The 48000 miles is believed to be original and if the sticker on the door is accurate it hadn't had 2000 miles put on it since 1986! She's a great little car and I have to agree with everything you noted - the split windshield, peaking under the visor, etc. Remember? "Plymouth Builds Great Cars"!

Enjoy your ride today! I'll have to take the long way home after work. 

• 2 weeks later...

TJ what a beauty. I'm just starting the paint on my p18 and recently bought a Fulton visor. I'm really nervous about the install. Can you post picts of how the brackets go on?

Man thanks 

Lanny

MY Plymouth.jpg

I made this bracket for the Fulton Visor to replace the flimsy center brackets, as I'm in Oz and the Fulton visors were never sold here and are very expensive if ever in Oz I decided that a nice stronger bracket would be needed......its in two pieces, made of stainless steel sheet , about 20gauge.....used a couple of short pieces of 1/4" allthread so that I could have 1/4" acorn nuts in symmetry on each side.......my Fulton was a 1000 series from what I understand which has different side bracketry, which were made of aluminium so being a hotrodder I polished them......shiney is good.....lol........ to what TJ's car uses and what is more common but I prefer the 1000 series, but the rest of the visor is more or less the same.........I've since sold the car like a dope so these are the only pics I have that give a decent view of the visor and bracket...........I also left the underside of the visor in the grey/off white primer as it blended in rather well with the view from inside the car as the roof lining whilst off white tended to match the underside .regards, andyd

IMG_1527.JPG

IMG_1530.JPG

IMG_1358.JPG

IMG_1549.JPG

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lwebb said:

TJ what a beauty. I'm just starting the paint on my p18 and recently bought a Fulton visor. I'm really nervous about the install. Can you post picts of how the brackets go on?

Man thanks 

Lanny

MY Plymouth.jpg

I am posting what my car has below. At highway speed (55) I notice it moves very slightly.

A5B77B48-7E8D-42FC-84CF-AAE7AD15CB65.jpeg

0520DE4B-49EC-49C5-BCA0-CAA8808B0696.jpeg

F6E1F13F-01E6-4BDA-8C7E-760343FAD920.jpeg

tjlarson88-

How well can you see stop lights went stopped at one?

Yours looks great in the pictures and it appears that mounted that far down that seeing the lights could be a issue?

DJ

9 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

tjlarson88-

How well can you see stop lights went stopped at one?

Yours looks great in the pictures and it appears that mounted that far down that seeing the lights could be a issue?

DJ

Seeing stop lights isn’t too much of an issue, but it does hinder the field of view if I pull too far forward. I need to try using a stop light viewing prism. 

• Like 1