Recommended Seat Belts (2 Point) and Installation - 1950 Plymouth 2 Door

edrendek7777

Hey all, so I will be getting my new 50 Plymouth 2 Door next week, and after the brakes are finished up and new tires installed I need to get seat belts in so I can safely take the kids for a ride.  Any suggestions on where to get the belts from?  I had someone tell me All Star Performance...  Any other ideas?  Do I need mounting hardware?  Is this something that I can do myself, or should I take it somewhere?  Also is there somewhere that I can find out how to install them and where the correct points are to bolt?  I am not having much luck finding a lot on google searches, and I am sure every car is different, so just wanted to see what all of your experiences have been with any 50 Plymouth or similar owners.  Thanks.

Ed

go with shoulder harness in the front....two point in the rear although they are not that hard to adapt back there.....not all belts are equal..make sure they meet safety standards...the mounts should sandwich your floor board metal on both sides and the plates need to be large enough to sufficiently to displace the force.  Your floor metal needs be solid state of repair.  Never mount the anchors to the car frame....you wish to remain one with the cab should it decide to separate from the frame....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

http://www.oldwillysforum.com/Plymouth/08-uai/uai.html

Check out how Pete installed his in his 50 Ply. 4 dr. some years back.

Look in the heading "Interior" on his web page.

Enjoy your new car. !!

I finally got my 50 4 dr, running good again after 5 years on sitting.

DJ

• Like 1

I got mine here. Nice matching colors. High quality. Chrome is tops. Hard to find a fault.

https://www.seatbeltsplus.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwyerpBRD9ARIsAH-ITn8fZychrlqd44Eo0XA0p6zM1SQeEc22Okn1qdEWmLsLnSclShdafDoaAvzAEALw_wcB

• Like 1

Recently installed the 3 point belts from Julianos in my 39 Ply. Business Coupe.  Happy with the installation and final results.  Look over the procedure they use to mount the anchor above the shoulder, the concept makes it easier and saves time.   If you have the time and equipment could probably make the shoulder mounting parts cheaper than the kit. 

I went through some trial-and-error with my seat belts.  My DeSoto Suburban has coach lights on the B posts, and I didn't want the shoulder belts to obscure them.

At first, I mounted the anchor at the belt line, but the belt was too far back for comfort.  Then I mounted the anchor over the coach light, but that was not too happy.

So I added a bar as an extender, to move the belt forward. 

I could move the retractor forward, so that the belt is parallel to the B post, but nah, too much work.   Maybe at the bottom of my to-do list.  

1370690368_seatbeltrtfrontlater.JPG.d8fec65585728532b75ade73a58ce1af.JPG    

I saved the shoulder belt adjusters out of a 93 Chrysler Town & Country I scrapped out about 9 years ago.  I can mount them on the B pillar no problem (I think), but a place for the retractors is the issue.  (I have a 4-door.  I reckon it would be easy on a 2 door.)  All I would mess up on the B pillar would be the switch on the left side to turn on the cabin light, and I may want to move it anyway.  Thinking of adding a light in the front some place, and possible will put another light in the rear seat ashtray that mounts into the back of the front seat.  (This is on a P15.)

in some cases one must make an enclosure to contain the retractor to not only make the install look clean but also to protect the retractors and keep them clean...last thing you need is to damage the retractor or allow foreign object to interfere ..these have since been painted to match the interior....these are in a business coupe that in design also has limited access to b-post and rearward quarter

belt cover with emblem.jpg

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

in some cases one must make an enclosure to contain the retractor to not only make the install look clean but also to protect the retractors and keep them clean...last thing you need is to damage the retractor or allow foreign object to interfere ..these have since been painted to match the interior....these are in a business coupe that in design also has limited access to b-post and rearward quarter

belt cover with emblem.jpg

Is that mounted to the floor?  I hadn't thought of doing it that way, but the P15 also has the rear seat foot rest that is a part of the front seat, and it sticks out a bit in the rear.  But this does give me an idea.  I am already planning to rebuild and re-enforce the front seat slide mechanism and also beef up the seat to floor mount (so that I can mount the seat end of the lap belt directly to the seat frame instead of to the floor), so maybe the retractors could be mounted to, or into, the seat back.  Will have to look at this more closely.  Maybe this whole idea is too complicated.

in this case it is, there was no good access to the quarter or b-post in a Dodge business coupe....in a Plymouth business coupe it is lot easier to mount and cover the retractors and mount the top stationary mount.  The second floor mount stationary point is just forward of this box you see...and as you can see...the box also does not impede the operation of the compartment door behind the passenger side of the seat.  Dodge and Plymouth are very different in bz cp arrangement as the Dodge has no quarter glass or removable rear quarter trim panels to mount the retractors nor hide speakers....

• 3 months later...
On 7/26/2019 at 2:49 PM, DJ194950 said:

http://www.oldwillysforum.com/Plymouth/08-uai/uai.html

Check out how Pete installed his in his 50 Ply. 4 dr. some years back.

Look in the heading "Interior" on his web page.

Enjoy your new car. !!

I finally got my 50 4 dr, running good again after 5 years on sitting.

DJ

wow excellent just like my dodge,,  good winter projet..

I just got done unbolting my body mount bolts from the frame of my 1947.  There are probably 20+ heavy bolts of which I had to cut, grind or chisel 50% of them while cursing all the way!  It seems to me if you ever get hit hard enough to separate the body from the frame in one of these cars you got much bigger problems!  You're not walking away from that wreck...

7 minutes ago, ebruns1 said:

I just got done unbolting my body mount bolts from the frame of my 1947.  There are probably 20+ heavy bolts of which I had to cut, grind or chisel 50% of them while cursing all the way!  It seems to me if you ever get hit hard enough to separate the body from the frame in one of these cars you got much bigger problems!  You're not walking away from that wreck...

place  your bets folks, roll the dice....the house always wins in the end....

not to bead a dead horse but I got to give that sucker one more good whack......this is the latest upgrade of belts I installed into a 1968 model.  The belts that were factory were two point and cumbersome at best.  PLUS the original set up had one end on the body and the other direct to the frame....and before you say much more...look at the enclosed pictures...this particular vehicle DID NOT have the factory belts...it had no belts at all...these cabs were basically unchanged from 1953 onward except in this case mine has factory belts.

This is what I installed and is a simple easy application and the center belts are attached to the body in one of the strongest portions of the cab and is yet sandwiched between a very heavy and large displacement backers front and rear.  I decided NOT to use the factory frame points.   NIce belts for 10.00 the set......

IMG_3020.JPG

This is a vehicle that was slammed into by a distracted driver turn left.....notice the front crumpled frame and sheet metal, also note the movememt of the cab rearward and into the bed......wow...cab did damage eh, just think you were attached to the frame as the cab slid back...ouchy pinchy to say the least, crushed chest...who knows.....the cab is basically intact and un altered...and or if just the frame buckle up here......I'll take door number two for 200.00

image.jpeg

Edited by Plymouthy Adams