POWER RACK

Dropped off the Omni rack at the shop to make the tie rod ends today. We are thinking of using a set screw  at the end where the tie rod end is in stead of 

the jam nut this allows more adjustment if needed what do you think? This is the last step i hope. The rack worked out to 52- 521/2 long

is that about right? slant six looks good in there. A very easy fit.

Sounds right, been forever since I measured things.  Not sure if a set screw would do much to hold when it can’t bite into anything, but better then nothing, and the way mine is it’s not going anywhere anyway with it holding the adapter on the inside tie rod end

Set screw sounds like trouble......have a picture? Have a vehicle using a set-screw to access the results?

48D

10 hours ago, garyanna2 said:

Dropped off the Omni rack at the shop to make the tie rod ends today. We are thinking of using a set screw  at the end where the tie rod end is in stead of 

the jam nut this allows more adjustment if needed what do you think? This is the last step i hope. The rack worked out to 52- 521/2 long

is that about right? slant six looks good in there. A very easy fit.

IMHO - contact area not as much with a set screw as with the engineered jam nut, the horizontal thrust is also crucial, IMHO... Charlie Stephenson

I think I would also discard the notion of the setscrew even GIVEN it is a ny-lock style and will not damage threads and pursue the use of a jamb nut as designed originally and look real close at threading the tie rod a bit more if needed to compensate for the thickness of the nut and making allowance for additional adjustment in this manner.  m Even on some very light cars of European design I have never seen one that did not incorporate a jamb nut or dogging star...