1947 Chrysler - Do I have to remove lock cylinder?

ebruns1

Hello 46-48 Owners,

A few of you fellas suggested I should remove my door lock mechanisms to clean, lube and check/change/adjust springs for the "star" catch.  While this sounds like a wonderful idea, from what I can gather in researching this forum removing the old lock cylinders is a monumental task.  I have no idea what the PO may have installed or modified but when I popped off the spring guards on the retainer spring all I can see is what looks like a hollow tube, no phillips head screw (see photo).  Any thoughts on what to do next?  Does this hold the shaft of the lock cylinder in place?  Do I assume correctly that I must remove the lock cylinder and shaft in order to pull out the latch mechanism to service it?  It looks like someone may have already drilled a hole in mine.  Does it pull out, or should I try using a punch to push it in?  Any suggestions would be helpful.  The exploded parts diagram someone posted on the lock cylinder threads does not ever show the locking screw or how it works.

20190722_185009_resized.jpg

Lube the fitting and pick at the rust in that hole, with a needle. It could be a socket head set screw. If it is, you want the Allen wrench in as deep as possible. The screw has to loosen more than 1/8" to clear the groove on the tumbler body of the lock. You can heat the screw in the center, with a blunt tip solder iron and apply candle wax, I heard, lately.