Nice day for a show.

The heat wave finally broke here, after some nasty storms yesterday. Today is the Appleton Old Car Show and Kris Bolstad and I met up and parked together at the show. It’s a beautiful day today. Nice and sunny, but not too hot. 

I’ll get pics posted later...

I was struggling to upload photos from my phone while at the show. Now that I’m home, I’ll try again. 

Here they are, side by side. Got several comments about having them together. 

0A2EBF9D-578F-4723-8963-3F37E7A4F83F_zps

We talked to one guy that say’s he’s had a Pilot House truck for many years. It was a daily driver for several years back in the 70’s or 80’s. I don’t recall all the details. He still uses it from time to time, but didn’t feel it was worthy to bring to a show like this. I talked with another fellow that had come across a ‘50 that he was considering buying. He asked a few questions about parts availability. He also noticed my dash plaque from pilot-house.com. I encouraged him to check us out for more information. At the end I think he was ready to pull the trigger on the purchase. 

The only other Pilot House trucks there today was the ‘51 “Little Red Express” truck that I saw last year. We also spoke with the owner for a bit. 

B05CF054-B426-4F80-934B-EBC0ADDD9857_zps

And the Cool Bus... (too bad it has a Chevy engine/trans in it)

F9D144A1-D7F1-453B-B533-1C125546E06E_zps

07C18C2E-F1F5-4A85-9184-6DC471ACDF47_zps

I also liked this Power Wagon bus... Snow days? We don’t need no stinkin’ snow days... We have Power Wagons. We’ll still pick up the kids... LOL!!

9FBFD723-CBB0-479E-A4A1-581435159752_zps

Edited by Merle Coggins
  • Like 8

Sorry I couldn’t make it today, left the shop at 7:00 and didn’t finish work until 6:45 tonight. I had to cut downed trees to get my tool trailer out for work tomorrow. Then I went and looked  at a shed I built last year that a big ash tree fell into.  We had some pretty serious storms around here. 

I wish I was there.  

7 hours ago, Dodgeed said:

... I'm also luving the passenger side rear view mirrors. Where did you and he get them? ?

Mine (the short one) is from DCM. It's next to useless, except to balance the look of the truck. Unless I have those larger mirrors on it I can't see anything in the right side mirror. Even with the larger mirror I can't see much in it.

As for Kris' long arm mirrors, he'll have to fill you in on them. I think they have been with the truck for some time, but I also remember something about a replacement arm.

16 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

Mine (the short one) is from DCM. It's next to useless, except to balance the look of the truck. Unless I have those larger mirrors on it I can't see anything in the right side mirror. Even with the larger mirror I can't see much in it.

As for Kris' long arm mirrors, he'll have to fill you in on them. I think they have been with the truck for some time, but I also remember something about a replacement arm.

Thanks for that reference. I've looked there before, and I get confused because what shows in the on-line catalog doesn't seem to apply to my model year, 1951, but, I'll check on the phone w/them to see if it does. ?

34 minutes ago, Mike 1948 1Ton said:

Tom B2B, I have a brush guard like the that, that I don't plan on using.......but CA is a long way from MN...........

Mike

The cost of shipping would be ridiculous. Thanks for the offer ?

1 hour ago, Dodgeed said:

Thanks for that reference. I've looked there before, and I get confused because what shows in the on-line catalog doesn't seem to apply to my model year, 1951, but, I'll check on the phone w/them to see if it does. ?

the B3 series changed the stock mirror to a formed sheetmetal tube one.  It would fit, but be wrong for the year.

• Like 1

Driver side arm and hinge is original to truck - new mirror from DCM.  picked up passenger arm from a forum guest that noted my post looking for matching arm.  Truck is a '48. Driver arm matches parts book page from 7-48.  Different hinge bracket on "newer" version - but same part number.

Mopar_Outside Mirror Extension Arm_Part 1199008.jpg

Mopar Mirror Extension Arm 1199008.JPG

• Like 2

On 7/23/2019 at 8:47 PM, Kris Bolstad said:

Driver side arm and hinge is original to truck - new mirror from DCM.  picked up passenger arm from a forum guest that noted my post looking for matching arm.  Truck is a '48. Driver arm matches parts book page from 7-48.  Different hinge bracket on "newer" version - but same part number.

Mopar_Outside Mirror Extension Arm_Part 1199008.jpg

Mopar Mirror Extension Arm 1199008.JPG

that is the style of arms i have on my ‘48 1.5-ton.  original as far as i know.

PB020010.jpg

IMG-0875.jpg

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 6:29 AM, tom'sB2B said:

The cost of shipping would be ridiculous. Thanks for the offer ?

what a bummer!!! I know a guy who was just in MN that drove. the same guy drives to CA in April. probably would have charged you just a little extra duck sausage for shipping....

guess there was no way to know..... probably worked out anyway ( Mike ditched us at the photo (for Mike :P))   

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Brent B3B said:

what a bummer!!! I know a guy who was just in MN that drove. the same guy drives to CA in April. probably would have charged you just a little extra duck sausage for shipping....

guess there was no way to know..... probably worked out anyway ( Mike ditched us at the photo (for Mike :P))   

what are you trying to ship?  Sorry not finding the original ask....Friday mornings...

Just finished our big SuperRun week here in Manitoba, was a great turn out and beautiful but hot weather.  I put the truck in with a couple of my old sleds on a deck I built for the show...funny how much interest there was in snowmobiles in 90 deg weather  ?

7C7A5B34-AA39-4A1E-8724-11FE31D0B384.jpeg

• Like 2