230 flatehead

Not that hard. I did my first overhaul never having done such before. It’s not hard to do and not that expensive. Don’t let someone mess with your mind, do it! 

The last machine shop I used was the same. 6+ months to do a head. Before that almost a year to check and sleeve a block. I think the problem is that a job like that is absolutely the lowest priority and not a bread and butter money maker.  Late model work and fleet customers with vehicles that are down due to engine failures take daily priority.

Either keep on them weekly or ask around to find a shop with faster turn around.

9 hours ago, C.C. Rider said:

how hard is it to rebuild a 230? ive had my engine at the machine shop for a little over a year and the guy hasnt started on it yet. thanks

Complexity depends on your definition of rebuild.  Outside of machine work, it can be done by anyone with hand tools, some precision measurement tools and ability to follow the book procedures.

However if crank machining or cylinder boring is required, or valve machine work, that is outside scope of most home mechanics.

I'm in process of doing my 230, but it was bored not too many miles back and the cylinders are serviceable with a hone job.  Crank also turned to .010/.010 and good.  So, replacing parts is needed but no machine work.  I have valve reconditioning tools and will replace the exh guides, grind the seats and valves.  I will have a machine shop true the head, after I check chamber sizes and decide if I want more than a truing cut.

In most cases, a machine shop is needed for specific work.  I'd measure everything and see about getting that done and move it home for finishing.

Mine was at a machine shop for a year and a half. I tore it completely apart, so they just had to machine it and assemble it. I even left the shop manual. All that they got done was cleaning the block and head, decked the block, and rough honed the cylinders. I finally picked it up and dropped it off at another shop who had it back to me in two months. It wasn't a fancy modern race engine or a SBC that they could do with their eyes closed.