Installing a Spin-on Bypass Oil Filter (photos)

Sam Buchanan

On the future rebuild of my 265...

I am thinking of doing a by-pass filter like this one, but, finding a VERY fine filter for it. In addition to this, I plan on doing a modification I saw some years back. That owner drilled and tapped the area of the oil pump. They put a plug in the gallery from the oil pan and forced the oil out and into a full flow head and filter mounted on the right frame rail. It them went back into the gallery and to the pump.

I got the idea from an article I read a long time ago from a Fram executive who was talking with The Big Three about increased engine life by have a two stage oil filtration system. Fram had showed a great increase in engine life with their tests.  But, the Big Three were concerned about the additional cost.

I have been using the big full flow canister on my 251 and it works well. This is the conversion that Don used and documented on this forum. The only problem is that with that unit, you have to take it off to get the starter out. I do like the bottom valve to drain it before pulling the filter however.

James.

20 hours ago, James_Douglas said:

On the future rebuild of my 265...

I am thinking of doing a by-pass filter like this one, but, finding a VERY fine filter for it. In addition to this, I plan on doing a modification I saw some years back. That owner drilled and tapped the area of the oil pump. They put a plug in the gallery from the oil pan and forced the oil out and into a full flow head and filter mounted on the right frame rail. It them went back into the gallery and to the pump.

I got the idea from an article I read a long time ago from a Fram executive who was talking with The Big Three about increased engine life by have a two stage oil filtration system. Fram had showed a great increase in engine life with their tests.  But, the Big Three were concerned about the additional cost.

I have been using the big full flow canister on my 251 and it works well. This is the conversion that Don used and documented on this forum. The only problem is that with that unit, you have to take it off to get the starter out. I do like the bottom valve to drain it before pulling the filter however.

James.

Re the red comment:  That is fairly common on diesels.  My FE436 Mitsubishi had a pair of filters.  One is the common 'full flow', the second is the bypass route with a really fine element.  Any oil bypassed by the oil pressure regulator goes there.

the full flow mod you mention is in my plans for my 230, but I have some concerns with line and fitting size.  Mainly convincing myself that enough room exists in that area to get the supply and return lines of sufficient size to not restrict the oil flow.

I thought about adding a spin on filter years ago and then bought a canister and never installed it.  I was so inspired by seeing the installation that I ordered the filter mount and filter form Rockauto yesterday.  Thanks for the pictures and the mount mount that you made.

I've read that our bypass filter elements trap particles 3 to 4 time smaller than modern spin-on filters. This is because the oil exiting the modern filters goes straight to the bearings under pressure. The bypass filter returns the filtered oil directly to the sump. Also, if you system is working correctly, the bypass system only bypasses the filter at idle speed.

Peter

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I've read that our bypass filter elements trap particles 3 to 4 time smaller than modern spin-on filters. This is because the oil exiting the modern filters goes straight to the bearings under pressure. The bypass filter returns the filtered oil directly to the sump. Also, if you system is working correctly, the bypass system only bypasses the filter at idle speed.

Peter

Spin on filters come in full flow and bypass versions.  The full flow does allow larger particles to pass, but the bypass versions trap much smaller bits.  See my post above re: diesels.

The installation detailed in this thread used the bypass version, as I understand it.

I think the bypass is functional any time the oil flow is high enough, and the pressure exceeds the oil pressure relief setting in the stock setup.

Very interesting & cool conversion,  I didn't realise the Dodge bypass filter were no longer avaliable,  Anyone  remember the old Frantz bypass filter that used a toilet roll as the filter media,  I wonder if you could modify the Dodge housing to accept a toilet roll ?

The LandRover Discovery2  Td5  uses a spin on full flow filter as well as a centrifuge bypass filter  ( part number ERR6299 ).  I'm pretty sure you machine up an adaptor  to accept the centrifuge filter that would fit inside the original Dodge bypass housing .  The filter  is quite small, about 3" diam & 2" high , but very efficient , it spins at about 30,000 RPM  by the action of the drain oil being ejected at angle via small jets.     It would be a cool mod as when you shut the engine down you can hear the filter slowing down for about 5 seconds, sounding like a turbine slowing down. 

On 8/15/2019 at 7:10 AM, Frank Elder said:

Save your toilet roll for the throne, you would be better off with no filter than to have that Rube Goldberg installed.:eek:

Now don't be a old curmudgeon "Frank the Elder".  I had mine engine rebuilt two years ago and have been runnig it without a filter.  I've wanted to add a spin on oil filter for years.  I've been inspired and almost finished, just filling the filter and then a oil change after lunch.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 48ply1stcar said:

Now don't be a old curmudgeon "Frank the Elder".  I had mine engine rebuilt two years ago and have been runnig it without a filter.  I've wanted to add a spin on oil filter for years.  I've been inspired and almost finished, just filling the filter and then a oil change after lunch.

In bootcamp they called me Younger or Older but never Elder......lol, I haven't had a filter on my car for over 15 years, I replace the oil every May 1st rarely accumulating more than 3,500 per year. I'm not plowing the field with it or going cross country on dirt/gravel roads so I don't see reason to install one, the oil bath filter is well maintained and does its job well.

Frank the Elder thats funny!:lol:

Now you can change your title below your member name to:

"Frank the Elder. Mopar Prophet" !

I'm on my knees, face to the ground currently in front of a p-15 alter.

Only problem, I cannot get back up! ☹️

DJ

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Sam Buchanan said:

Excellent! Glad the thread was helpful for you.  

Wish my car was as clean firewall-forward as yours.  :)  

I started working on the car in 95, and it has my 68-69 High School parking permit on the windshield.  Still not done, still things to do.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

no....

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Fargone said:

Does the filter have to be mounted so high? Could it be lowered closer to oil pan level? It just seems to make more sense down lower, but I'd have look into clearance issues on my truck. I'm so doing this mod!

It's convienent to use the bolts intended for the oil filter bracket.  I made my mount from a electrical junction box cover, not nearly a fancy as Sam's

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 48ply1stcar said:

It's convienent to use the bolts intended for the oil filter bracket.  I made my mount from a electrical junction box cover, not nearly a fancy as Sam's

If/when I get around to doing this, I'll need a different type of bracket too. Apparently the really old engines like mine have a different arrangement for holding the factory bracket on. But the general idea of using a spin on adaptor designed for a modern spin on bypass filter will remain the same.

• 1 year later...
On 7/14/2019 at 8:23 AM, Sam Buchanan said:

If oil spillage is a concern, just place a plastic bag around the filter when you initially unscrew it, any excess oil will drain into the bag instead of on the starter that has 70+ years of crud on it.......  ;)...

one trick I picked up over the years while working on tractors with spin-on filters is to make a catch-carrier for a hot filter out of a plastic 1 gallon milk jug with a hole cut in the top/side that still retains the jug handle...the plastic is flexible enough that it can fit around a filter in a tight spot, break the filter loose then unscrew it, any spillage is contained by the jug, then the filter drops into the jug to be carried out by the jug handle.  Used butter tubs, Cool-Whip containers, any type of plastic food container will do, but generally these types of plastics are not durable so they can only be used a time or 2.  Gallon oil containers are more durable but less flexible, but may be used if the opening is cut adequately.  This carrier helps to keep the oil spills to a minimum in the engine compartment and work floor ?

I chose to mount my spin on filter horizontal,much easier to deal with the potential spill. After a career involving thousands of oil changes, the horizontal filter is the best way to manage the mess. I chose a small filter,as the oil changes will be frequent. So a clogged filter will never be an issue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tooljunkie said:

I chose to mount my spin on filter horizontal,much easier to deal with the potential spill. After a career involving thousands of oil changes, the horizontal filter is the best way to manage the mess. I chose a small filter,as the oil changes will be frequent. So a clogged filter will never be an issue. 

If your filter is plumbed into the original bypass loop, are you using a bypass filter? If so, what small bypass filter did you find?

8 hours ago, Sam Buchanan said:

If your filter is plumbed into the original bypass loop, are you using a bypass filter? If so, what small bypass filter did you find?

Just a regular filter,i highly doubt the relief valve in the filter would ever open, simply not enough flow. 
equivalent to wix 51348. Not much smaller than the 5.7 hemis use. I will open it when i put a new one on. 

late to the party here... but I had some ss braided oil filtrer hoses made to replace the hard plumbing for ezier access to disposable add on filterer

as it turned out not enough room to fit up on stupid too close together ports on 218 block!

turn this fitting one way? turn an elbow that way? that restrictles flow. its only an 1/8 line with 40# pressure

staying with what I got

for sale 1 8" hose and 1 12" hose