1940 Dodge D14 radios?

Larkin.19

Larkin......I'm not sure what the original D14 radio was however all Mopar radios from at least 1940 thru to 1948 for all the 4 brands are the same format, ie, a vertical style of radio with 2 dials and 2 knobs on the bottom.....at least all the radios to fit 1940 Dodges that I have seen over the years.......in fact my car which i bought in 1971, yes, .......lol...that long ago had the remains of an Oz style radio that had a separate "box" mounted on the firewall with the 2 dials and knobs in the same place as the USA radios.........as the car was RHD the us style radio unit wouldn't fit as it had the dash to firewall brace in the way....however I was able to put a factory 801(?) series US radio in the RHD 1941 Plymouth I had and it cleared the offending dash/firewall brace.........anyway the bottom line is that any Mopar radio to suit a 1940 to 1948 Mopar will fit in the 1940 D14 Dodge Dash hole............btw welcome aboard from Oz.........andyd    

P1000699 (800x600).jpg

Thanx for the radios conversation and the education..  Great to know it was the same for all those years. 

These radios are heavy! I was surprised. Just rediscovered mine last week.

Have had mine out of the car for last 20 odd years, have never tried it, and now  thinking about opening it up and seeing if the caps (condensors in those days!) look OK and what the wiring looks like before I put  6 volts to it (with a 10 amp fuse)

I have no idea when it last worked.

1) Check the inside circuitry visually and then just go for it?

2) use a 4 ohm or 8 ohm speaker?

The old tube radios will, at the very least, need to have all of the wax paper and electrolytic capacitors replaced, and probably a few out-of-tolerance resistors.  Schematics and drawings (SAMS photofact) for the 802 series radios are available on places like the bay.