bumper pad question / LED flasher

Phreakboy

I recently decided to remove the grill guard off of my 47 d24 deluxe and when putting the bumper pads back on I realized that they angle inward on both sides. Is this normal or is there different pads to be used without the grill guard? Also does someone know of a source to replace the bolts for the pads? Also on another note would anybody have a good link to a flasher that will work for led bulbs?

So here is the exact reason so many forums are dropping off. I asked a couple of questions looking for a little advice and the first response I get is a generic google search. Back in the day I would spend tons of time helping out on forums and trying to get people to the correct answers, this is what made them so popular for so long. Now there is always someone who just wants to say.... "Google It" . I posted this looking for advice because I have already googled it and unsuccessfully received the wrong flasher once and a non working flasher the second time so I was hoping someone could just turn me on to one they have used with good results. This way I could get the car out driving around and be able to take my father out since he really enjoys going for rides. Instead I get the typical BS response based off of an assumption that I asked a question without ever putting any effort into it myself.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, Phreakboy said:

I recently decided to remove the grill guard off of my 47 d24 deluxe and when putting the bumper pads back on I realized that they angle inward on both sides. Is this normal or is there different pads to be used without the grill guard? Also does someone know of a source to replace the bolts for the pads? Also on another note would anybody have a good link to a flasher that will work for led bulbs?

I suspect that by 'bumper pads' you are talking about what I call bumper guards, so I wonder if the two sides were switched around.  I should go look at mine (even though they are Plymouth) to be sure, but I think the outside may be 'shallower' to account for the angle of the bumper.  (I've never thought about it, but it might be the reason yours seem to point in.)

But the reason I decided to write a response here is to ask if you have a picture of your grill guard.  My 49 (1st series) Plymouth (parts car) had a grill guard, and I'm thinking about if I will want to use it on my 46.  It would for sure need to be plated or painted, as the chrome is in much worse shape than the bumper itself.

37 minutes ago, Eneto-55 said:

I suspect that by 'bumper pads' you are talking about what I call bumper guards, so I wonder if the two sides were switched around.  I should go look at mine (even though they are Plymouth) to be sure, but I think the outside may be 'shallower' to account for the angle of the bumper.  (I've never thought about it, but it might be the reason yours seem to point in.)

But the reason I decided to write a response here is to ask if you have a picture of your grill guard.  My 49 (1st series) Plymouth (parts car) had a grill guard, and I'm thinking about if I will want to use it on my 46.  It would for sure need to be plated or painted, as the chrome is in much worse shape than the bumper itself.

Yes I have always heard them called bumper pads but im sure bumper guards is also correct.  I tried flipping them side to side and they wont line up correctly. The only thing I can think of is they are different if you are using the grill guard but cant seem to find any real information on this. I will have to look and see if I have a picture, I actually liked the look of it but the chrome is in horrible  shape and it just stood out so bad.

17 hours ago, Phreakboy said:

So here is the exact reason so many forums are dropping off. I asked a couple of questions looking for a little advice and the first response I get is a generic google search. Back in the day I would spend tons of time helping out on forums and trying to get people to the correct answers, this is what made them so popular for so long. Now there is always someone who just wants to say.... "Google It" . I posted this looking for advice because I have already googled it and unsuccessfully received the wrong flasher once and a non working flasher the second time so I was hoping someone could just turn me on to one they have used with good results. This way I could get the car out driving around and be able to take my father out since he really enjoys going for rides. Instead I get the typical BS response based off of an assumption that I asked a question without ever putting any effort into it myself.

Phreakboy, don't take this the wrong way but I remind you that many times someone will post a question or a request for help and often several folks go to the trouble of forming and posting answers only to have the OP never return to the thread.  Obviously this is not you but I know from personal experience that it makes one somewhat hesitant to answer a post from a Newbie 

Edited by plymouthcranbrook
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, chrysler1941 said:

Why do you need a LED flasher? Are all bulbs swapped with led? What about turn indicator bulb?

Electrics original 6 v?

You need to clarify more if you want help.

yes turn signal bulbs are led so they flash super fast currently, yes still on 6v positive ground system.

11 hours ago, Phreakboy said:

yes turn signal bulbs are led so they flash super fast currently, yes still on 6v positive ground system.

Ok I also have 6v pos so here's what I did.

I went through 8 different 6v and 4 different 12v LED flashers before finding one that suits my need. I think i tried all flashers from China on ebay.

I dislike the way led flashes fast on/off like modern cars. I wanted the glow out like incandescent bulbs. I was ready to invent a delay using 555 timer. 

To my surprise I found a 12v motor cycle flasher worked as intended.  I left the original small indicator bulb in dash for correct load (flash intervals), but swapped front and rear light with led. 

Flasher is small. cheap and waterproof. Two wires for + and -.  

US dealer

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pin-Electronic-LED-Flasher-Relay-Fix-Motorcycle-Turn-Signal-Lights-Hyper-Flash/231989785560?hash=item3603ab33d8:g:nW0AAOSwaz9cxzXv:sc:USPSFirstClass!90250!US!-1

China

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pin-Electronic-LED-Flasher-Relay-Fix-Motorcycles-Turn-Signal-Light-Hyper-Flash/173924850887?hash=item287eba9cc7:g:hmcAAOSwDLhc-JCu

Edited by chrysler1941

On 7/14/2019 at 2:54 PM, chrysler1941 said:

plymouthcranbrook it seems you where right

Definitely not right when it comes to myself. I have been busy with my father in the hospital and just haven't had time to even look at this site.

On 7/10/2019 at 7:54 AM, chrysler1941 said:

Ok I also have 6v pos so here's what I did.

I went through 8 different 6v and 4 different 12v LED flashers before finding one that suits my need. I think i tried all flashers from China on ebay.

I dislike the way led flashes fast on/off like modern cars. I wanted the glow out like incandescent bulbs. I was ready to invent a delay using 555 timer. 

To my surprise I found a 12v motor cycle flasher worked as intended.  I left the original small indicator bulb in dash for correct load (flash intervals), but swapped front and rear light with led. 

Flasher is small. cheap and waterproof. Two wires for + and -.  

US dealer

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pin-Electronic-LED-Flasher-Relay-Fix-Motorcycle-Turn-Signal-Lights-Hyper-Flash/231989785560?hash=item3603ab33d8:g:nW0AAOSwaz9cxzXv:sc:USPSFirstClass!90250!US!-1

China

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pin-Electronic-LED-Flasher-Relay-Fix-Motorcycles-Turn-Signal-Light-Hyper-Flash/173924850887?hash=item287eba9cc7:g:hmcAAOSwDLhc-JCu

I am assuming that yours is a two wire factory? mine is three.

On 7/18/2019 at 12:42 AM, chrysler1941 said:

No it.s a 3 but middle one is for dash indicators. These can be connected to wire feeding front and rear

okay, thank you.

Does anyone have any other input on the bumper guards/pads? Im assuming they are not supposed to angle inwards.

26 minutes ago, Phreakboy said:

okay, thank you.

Does anyone have any other input on the bumper guards/pads? Im assuming they are not supposed to angle inwards.

I later compared mine from the rear (off of the bumper now), and they are exactly the same, as you said earlier.  (Actually, my car had one in the center on the rear bumper as well.  I don't think I'll put it back, because the deck lid always hit it just a barely.  Anyway, all three are the same.)

2 hours ago, Eneto-55 said:

.....wrong quote, sorry.

On 7/7/2019 at 10:25 PM, Phreakboy said:

I had to reread your post, Yes they are the same pads grill guard or no grill guard and front and rear bumpers can be swapped, say you didn't want fluid drive script on your rear bumper.....just take front bumper or center section from a front and swap it out with the rear. As for the bolts Ford used these same bolt so you should be able to source them that way as their aftermarket is much more extensive than ours.

Frank is exactly right. The LF bumper guard is the same as the RR, while RF is identical to the LR. Also, you can swap the main bars. Since my coupe was converted to a 5-Speed manual from the original Fluid-Drive, my car now has a 'plain' front main bar on the rear, too.

IMG_2565.jpg.66d1585378e076d467901d3cca3943d7.jpg

• Like 1

OK.  I guess it slipped my mind that this is about a Dodge.  But on my 46 Plymouth all three of the bumper guards that were on the rear bumper are identical.  (Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen others with three guards on the rear bumper - would have to look through pictures with that in mind.  My 49 - also P15 - only had two.  Anyway, I'm not putting the center one back on.)