1951 DeSoto Fluid drive re assembly

RamblinMan63

Hello,

Im pretty dam certain at least, I have a fluid drive car. Theres sort of a brake drum looking thing that threads to the transmission input shaft. Id like to put everything back together. The transmission is together but its all neen took out. I also am gonna need a flywheel and a clutch kit?? I have a shop book on the way from ebay. Please help!

99% of any 1946-52 DeSoto will have a Fluid Drive coupling in it.

And many or most will have the M-5 or M-6 hydraulically operated Hi/L range transmission too.. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

99% of any 1946-52 DeSoto will have a Fluid Drive coupling in it.

And many or most will have the M-5 or M-6 hydraulically operated Hi/L range transmission too.. 

What does the fluid coupling look like? I think I might be missing it.

I have the trans. It has three solenoid looking things on it.

A couple Fluid Drive Couplings..shown with out the clutch pressure plate.

FD D41 and 8 Cyl Comparison. Sold D41 FD Al McEwan 350 (4).JPG

• Like 1

On 7/7/2019 at 8:39 AM, kencombs said:

Some pics of what you do have will help determine what you have, what's missing and what may have been there originally.

This is what I have. Theres a serial number beginning with S15 on it. It has autolite 6v solenoids on it.

I have a local contact who has the engine/transmission combo out of his dads '48 Plymouth. He said he recalls it being a standard 3 speed column shift. Cant I take that bellhousing and trans and bolt it up to my 51 desoto's flat six?

My landlord has a 1946 desoto Deluxe fluid drive car. Its completely shot but the engine and trans are complete. The fluid coupling out of that would work for my '51 right?

20190714_120139.jpg

Edited by RamblinMan63

• 5 months later...
On 7/6/2019 at 7:38 PM, Dodgeb4ya said:

A couple Fluid Drive Couplings..shown with out the clutch pressure plate.

FD D41 and 8 Cyl Comparison. Sold D41 FD Al McEwan 350 (4).JPG

I found a fluid coupling. It's going to be shipping out of Arizona. The transmission takes straight 10w. What does the coupling take? Also what do you run in your flat six? I'm having mine rebuilt.