Introduction - 1947 P-15 Business Coupe

hi_volt

Just purchased a 1947 Plymouth Special Deluxe business couple here in Tucson today.  Was on CL.  Needs a bit of work, but was told that it will run with fluid changes, some badly needed maintenance, and new brakes.  Has been sitting for about 10 years.  Plans are to keep it stock except for putting on some new radial tires, upgrading the tail lights to incorporate brake lights and turn signals, and changing to 12V negative ground.  About 25 years ago a owned a '48 Special Deluxe 4-door sedan, so this is my second go-around.  Looking forward to the trip!  I'll post some pix tomorrow (Saturday).

Edited by hi_volt
Updated title
  • Like 1

Welcome.   Saw that car on CL. 

Personally I like the 6v.  Works just fine. 

• Like 2

OK....I may reconsider the 12V conversion.  Everything else being equal I prefer to stay as close to original as possible.

I spent most of the day cleaning out the interior, including removing what was left of the headliner, and vacuuming everything out.  As expected, it looks like I'm going to need to replace the wire harnesses, as they're pretty crispy and a couple of spots have failed insulation.  I also cleaned to dash and polished the chrome trim.  It's got some pitting, but not too bad.  After I was done with the general clean-up, I decided to see what would happen if I cleaned, polished and waxed part of the body, so I did most of the right front fender.  This may not look too bad once I get the rest of the paint done....

002 resized.jpg

001 resized.jpg

Edited by hi_volt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When you drain the old gas out, apply a pound or two of air pressure from before the pump back to the tank  There is a filter in the tank that can clog with varnish. I rattled my plug on the tank with a 1/2" air gun till loose and dripping, and kept changing buckets. About 8 gallons of old 1979 to 89 gas in my latest car. I put a filter in before the pump to see if there was any other residue that would come through. It's been clean, so I'll probably replace with the flex hose.

Hello and welcome. This looks like a nice car with plenty of potential for restoration. If it were mine, I would plan on doing exactly what you want to do and then drive it often. Best of luck.

John R

A quick update.  Did some more polishing and have most of the right side of the car done.  Bought some new tires.  The tires that were on the car when I bought it were horrible, and none of them matched, or were even the same size.  Went with Cooper Trendsetter SE 215-75-15 white walls, which have pretty close to the correct tire diameter.  Bought hub caps and a new hood spring which I installed today.  Slow progress, but it'll get there.

002 resized.jpg

Edited by hi_volt
  • Like 2

Paul Fleming do you see the Patina???? ?

Paul Loves patina on cars!!!  ??,  LOL!

hi_volt -  Looking great!! Nice find!.

DJ

I'm not usually a fan of the patina look unless it's real and this looks as real as it gets. I like it! Lots of good information on this site when you run into problems. I look fwd to following your progress. There's lots of opinions also like the 12v vs 6v deal. You'll just have to evaluate your position, pros, cons, etc. You stated you have to put a wiring harness in it, now sure would be the time to convert. Especially if you don't know the condition of the generator, voltage regulator or anything electrical. 

My car is 6v and I wouldn't dare change it now due to the money I've put into the 6v system and it currently works great but if I was in your shoes, I believe I would convert. I'll be looking for the day you post "it runs!"

32 minutes ago, Bbdakota said:

Actually I don't think the patina look gets any better than yours! 

patina does not get better on any vehicle....it will only continue it's destructive path on the substrate....remember, it too is just a passing phase in the course of rot as steel in a Ferris....non ferris will patina...there is a difference 

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

I'm generally not a big fan of the patina look either.  Buffing, polishing and waxing the existing paint is just a short-term thing to get some kind of protection on the finish, and to make it so that the car doesn't look neglected.  Eventually it will get the necessary body work done and will be painted.  It's being garaged and I live in Arizona, so I don't expect the rot to get too far out of hand for the moment.

The previous owner drained the gas tank and removed it, and also drained the coolant before storing it, so I don't think I'll have major issues with bad gas.  The engine turns over by hand, so it's not frozen.  The electrical wiring is almost 100% intact but is very crispy and has a few places where the insulation just fell apart.  I have the wiring diagram, and am an electronic engineer, so re-doing the electricals is not a major issue for me.  The major priorities will be finishing the general clean up (the car was filthy from being stored outdoors for the past 10 years and it's easier and more pleasant to work on a clean car), re-doing the wiring, servicing the brakes, then getting the engine running, in that order. 

Edited by hi_volt
  • Like 2

I purchased a 60s Mopar from a junkyard in Tucson back around 1995 for a parts car. What was left of the interior, rubber brake lines and wiring were sun-cooked and disintegrating to the touch but man the body and floors were solid. I ended up restoring it. 

Your car is cleaning up nice and you have a good plan with priorities set. I like the wheels and tires?

I know it's your car and you make the decisions, and I know there are lot of guys on here that are for doing anything and everything to modify these old cars, but I would like to put in my two cents for keeping it original with 6 volts.  And I also like the original oil bath air cleaner, even though there are many here who prefer to update that to a paper filter.  Sometimes I don't know why the guys who want everything to be modern don't just buy a Dodge Demon or a Plymouth Duster, rather than a 48.  I don't mind putting on modern radial tires and modern paint and all that, but just prefer to keep the other things historically correct.  It will mean your wiring harness will cost more if you get the correct cloth covered type, but you can keep your original gauges, and radio, clock, etc.  You did a very nice job polishing that up.  Congrats on getting a great car!  Plymouth Builds Great Cars!

Edited by MarcDeSoto
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MarcDeSoto said:

I know it's your car and you make the decisions, and I know there are lot of guys on here that are for doing anything and everything to modify these old cars, but I would like to put in my two cents for keeping it original with 6 volts.  And I also like the original oil bath air cleaner, even though there are many here who prefer to update that to a paper filter.  Sometimes I don't know why the guys who want everything to be modern don't just buy a Dodge Demon or a Plymouth Duster, rather than a 48.  I don't mind putting on modern radial tires and modern paint and all that, but just prefer to keep the other things historically correct.  It will mean your wiring harness will cost more if you get the correct cloth covered type, but you can keep your original gauges, and radio, clock, etc.  You did a very nice job polishing that up.  Congrats on getting a great car!  Plymouth Builds Great Cars!

Following the above argument we would all be riding in horse and buggy today.  That is the beauty of the car hobby..you can like the design but not so much the drivetrain and non existing creature comforts.  The VW Beetle is still following the original design with modern styling cues reminiscent of the 40's, however the total make over is clearly modern in all aspects.  The Volvo PV544 was the last assembly line car in the 60's that retro'd to early 40 design even down to a rugged utilitarian interior and basic fundamental drivetrain and suspension....hand built low production cars like the Morgan has to be placed aside when compared but that is truly a car that retained its original look and yet produced with all modern drivetrain and creature comforts.....and it was not till 2001 it got any real exterior design changes...little aerodynamics if you will, thus the model name it carried on introduction.    We have had retro look along the line, Prowler for one, many did not like the car but ALL SAFETY aspects had to go into the car by law..thus some design aspects.  We had the PT Cruiser and the HHR/SSR which by the way was introduced after the PT Cruiser and designed entirely by the same guy who did the PT Crusier when he left Chrysler and went to GM...

After a long weekend of cleaning up, I finally finished cleaning the outside.  I need to find, or have made, windows for the passenger and driver doors.  I'm also missing the chrome trim that goes between the vent window and the roll-down window on the passenger side.  The next step is to clean up the engine bay, which is also quite dirty.  Here are some pictures I took this morning of the outside and of the engine bay.

I recently purchased a Philco 802 radio and speaker, which I'm going to restore, a dash clock, and a lighter.  I plan to fully option the dash.  I'll be purchasing some brake parts shortly.

006 resized.jpg

007 resized.jpg

008 resized.jpg

009 resized.jpg

001 resized.jpg

002 resized.jpg

005 resized.jpg

• Like 1