DeVal 265 Replaces 230!

49D-24BusCpe

Two of us spent four days replacing the '56 Power Wagon 230 that was in my D-24 Business Coupe, with a '90 DeVal 265.

My DeVal is a brand new, never-run U.S. Navy JG-75 aircraft tug QEC power-plant. It is a Chrysler Industrial IND-32 clone. The block was cast on 6-19-90!

I purchased the car during '12, converted the driveline (to a T-5 transmission and a '65 B-body 8.75 axle) during '13, and finally replaced the engine on 7-19. There's still more to be done!

IMG_4460.jpg.c9a74e053d4956fe1783f7550a587755.jpg

IMG_4461.jpg

IMG_4466.jpg

• Like 3

Oh, I forget to mention that it was 12-volted during '14 with a Gener-Nator and a Pertronix ignition!

• Like 1

I did not know such an engine existed.  I do know about the 265 and you will be very pleased with the performance.  

35 minutes ago, 49D-24BusCpe said:

My DeVal is a brand new, never-run U.S. Navy JG-75 aircraft tug QEC power-plant. It is a Chrysler Industrial IND-32 clone. The block was cast on 6-19-90!

IMG_4461.jpg

IMG_4466.jpg

We need the straight poop on this "new" casting.......never heard of such a critter.

I too am interested in hearing the story on these blocks..........very interesting.............andyd

Uncle Sam wanted a continual supply of engines for their aircraft tugs, so when Ma Mopar discontinued the block, DeVal made the engines under license from Chrysler.  Some of the casting plugs are different, but the important stuff meets spec.   

12 hours ago, 49D-24BusCpe said:

Two of us spent four days replacing the '56 Power Wagon 230 that was in my D-24 Business Coupe, with a '90 DeVal 265.

I purchased the car during '12, converted the driveline (to a T-5 transmission and a '65 B-body 8.75 axle) during '13, and finally replaced the engine on 7-19. There's still more to be done!

Love the battery. Nice details with cloth wiring and cables, hose clamps, SolarSpark and other decals.

Interesting place for coil and relays.

Only thing I would change are the modern spark plug wires.  

9 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

Since this is an industrial engine and was slated to run in GSE  towing heavy aircraft in low speed high RPM duties.......is the camshaft suited to run on the street?

jg_75_tow_tractor_7500_lbs_draw_bar_pull

Frank,

Even though, my 'original' camshaft was an NOS industrial one, I knew that wasn't going to be the right 'one' for my D-24 "Super Stock" project. The cam I chose is an Edgy re-grind.

Walt 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chrysler1941 said:

Love the battery. Nice details with cloth wiring and cables, hose clamps, SolarSpark and other decals.

Interesting place for coil and relays.

Only thing I would change are the modern spark plug wires.  

Hi "Chrysler 1941",

I really appreciate you noticing some of my 'original' touches. I have several more details that I will be adding, such as starter & generator data plates etc. etc.

The ignition wires are actually 'modern spark plug wires'! They are Pertronix 7mm "stock look" wires.

All the best,

Walt

The DeVal Corporation is a 65 year old Philadelphia based manufacturing firm that primarily does work for the U.S. Department of Defense. The majority of their business is involved with support equipment for military aircraft.

During the mid-'80s thru the early '90s they had a U.S. Navy contract to supply QEC (Quick Engine Change) power plants for JG-75 aircraft tugs. These replacements were to be "ready-to-install" engine/transmission packages for these tugs, which were at naval air stations all over the world. These QECs were to be dyno tested before they were shipped to the customer.

This contract involved industrial engines manufactured by Chrysler, Ford, and International that were installed in these JG-75s. The 'raw material' core parts for the Ford 302 and International 345 motors were still being made, and readily available. The Chrysler L-head engine was a whole different matter!

As many of us know, these blocks had last been cast at the Windsor ON foundry in '59!

Chrysler said that they were unable, and could not produce these 265 engines anymore. DeVal suggested that they could easily supply either 225 Slant-6 or 318 V-8 Industrial QECs to replace the Mopar Flatheads. That was unacceptable to the Navy procurement group. They wanted "exact" replacements for their Chrysler Industrial IND-32 265 engines.

DeVal told them that their Chrysler L-head decision would be VERY expensive, as they would have to 'reverse engineer' many of the key component parts - and in particular the block. The U.S. Navy said go ahead, and DeVal went on to produce several hundred IND-32 clones, with (YES!!!) 727 Torqueflites.

IMG_1805.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

DeVal produced a number of interesting and unique parts for their IND-32 clone engines. Some of these were to support the engine for various different applications.

The spin-on oil filter canister casting, was developed so that the engine could utilize existing filters in the military's part supply chain.

IMG_2199.jpg.99d60a093aaae5708d9ea591972e4b6d.jpg

IMG_2200.jpg

IMG_2201.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Probably one of the most interesting parts that DeVal developed for their IND-32 replacement engine, was their very unique intake/exhaust manifold set-up! You can 'flip' it, so that it can be used in either down-draft or up-draft applications. Because of clearance issues, the JG-75s utilized up-draft carburetors. Also note, that a front or back (or both, for that matter) exhaust exit can be chosen.

The picture below shows this DeVal part next to a Chrysler passenger car 265 manifold set-up;

IMG_0925.jpg.182ee664417f4b616e7817778b907e34.jpg

IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well......I'll be buggered!!!.................lol..............so are these engines readily available and with a 727 T/f no less.........bizzaar!!!.............lol.....was the crank flange/block bolt pattern altered to suit the T/F or was a special T/F bellhousing done to fit to the block..........I'm assuming that the T/F referred to is the alloy post 1962 version................. although the 25" engine was previously available with the cast iron T/f, at least here in Oz it was till 1962 in the Oz only 1957-1962 Chrysler Royal...............andyd

Andy,

We all know the old adage, "a picture is worth a thousand words". Well here goes;

IMG_4489.jpg.600c83ea29e076d86b32bc31b64fdfe6.jpg

IMG_4498.jpg

IMG_4500.jpg

1 hour ago, Andydodge said:

Well......I'll be buggered!!!.................lol..............so are these engines readily available and with a 727 T/f no less.........bizzaar!!!.............lol.....was the crank flange/block bolt pattern altered to suit the T/F or was a special T/F bellhousing done to fit to the block..........I'm assuming that the T/F referred to is the alloy post 1962 version................. although the 25" engine was previously available with the cast iron T/f, at least here in Oz it was till 1962 in the Oz only 1957-1962 Chrysler Royal...............andyd

Andy,

The DeVal engine has exactly the same front and rear architecture as the Chrysler 265 (or 230 for that matter). They all have 8-bolt crankshafts. In fact, my swap utilized a 146 tooth 8-bolt flywheel and a P-15 bell housing! 

The JG-75 tug uses an adapter to mount the A727B or A727C aluminum transmission.

Walt

1 hour ago, 49D-24BusCpe said:

Andy,

The DeVal engine has exactly the same front and rear architecture as the Chrysler 265 (or 230 for that matter). They all have 8-bolt crankshafts. In fact, my swap utilized a 146 tooth 8-bolt flywheel and a P-15 bell housing! 

The JG-75 tug uses an adapter to mount the A727B or A727C aluminum transmission.

Walt

One on those adapters was on ebay a couple of weeks ago.  Not sure what they use for a flexplate though/

56 minutes ago, kencombs said:

One on those adapters was on ebay a couple of weeks ago.  Not sure what they use for a flexplate though/

Ken,

Deval was pretty clever in using a lot of the existing Mopar parts catalog. For example;

# 27  Plate, Converter Drive    2407456     (Flexplate) 

# 25  Torque Converter            2843239   - A727B Transmission

2843586   - A727C Transmission

Walt

3 hours ago, DonaldSmith said:

Where have I heard of a DeVal engine in a D-24 Business coupe?  Suddenly it's all coming back to me.  A Motown guy came to visit me in 2016.  His business coupe had a DeVal engine!  

Teaser Photo:

1396864026_D24S11(2).JPG.5538ab2542a7b2ac7a7546b2fe466b5d.JPG

Don,

Same guy, same car, but pre-DeVal!

Walt