Jump to content
JSabah

leaf springs

Recommended Posts

My leaf springs are mechanically in good shape (other than bushings).  Just wondering what others do to "spruce" things up a bit... are the covers supposed to be metal color or painted black? is it possible to take them off _ or rather how do you ( so thay can be straightened and regreased?  Just looking for general ideas on making them look good.

IMG_7615.jpg

IMG_7616.jpg

IMG_7617.jpg

Edited by JSabah
Typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rubber bushings and silent blocks for these springs are readily available. There is a spring lubricator attachment to grease gun to lubricate springs if the sheathing is still intact. If spring is intact (no broken leaves), don't remove the sheathing. It keeps dust out and grease in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As you can see in the picture, the sheathing is torn a bit .... any creative ways to fix? I tried straightening but it just rips. 

 

Also, was the sheathing originally black or silver?

 

and what is it made of (tin, alum, lead, sheet metal)?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mine was galvanized look-thin metal. IE silver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a little ambitious today with the leaf spring sheath. I was able to unhook the side that has the hook/seam and cut the “hinge” side to remove the bad section. Then I made a replacement piece and connected the latch side and soldered the hinge side. Cleaned it up and gave it a quick spray first with black paint then I used the same silver “space” aluminum color that I had for the engine. 

7FF4D77E-1E76-48B0-A738-FAAF045CA2BE.jpeg

1CA5BC54-BDDE-440A-A9B3-C5E2F2332ED9.jpeg

0C18306B-DBBA-4DD5-B312-D08CB9F223E9.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work!!!!

Those are really tough to repair and make them look factory nice...you did!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks.....as the springs were drying I masked the frame (which I had painted a few days ago with SEM chassis paint which is similar to the por15 product) and shot the underside with 3M undercoat (not the rattle can but the Shutz gun type). It took 6 bottles but it’s finally done. Now I can get the rear end back on, fuel tank and fuel and brake lines in the coming weeks. 

88F23B18-C03D-4546-82EC-582C2043AD92.jpeg

72B163AB-D4F5-4B16-8840-85EB63310945.jpeg

ED2F0163-0A09-4AD2-A2F1-F7CE879BEB55.jpeg

52FB5559-8EFD-45D0-8918-F59A31677CF7.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Terms of Use