generator rebuild

JSabah

I'm converting to a 12v system and have decided to use a generator (as opposed to an alternator).  question is do I sell my working original 6v dynamo and buy a 12v or do I have mine converted.  seems like it should be more cost effective to have mine converted, but I don't have an electric shop I have faith in .... any recommendations in the LA area? BTW, I'e read that some 6V generators will put out enough for a 12v system (just need a 12v regulator) but I want to do it right...

If you want to use a 12volt generator then either find one from a mid50's thru to early 60's mopar or checkout those Powergen brand alternators that look like a generator........personally I changed to an alternator years ago after being let down by the 12 volt generator but as I said that was yrs ago...40 yrs ago actually and things have changed but I'm a hotrodder so was not that concerned about originality........I've never heard of a 6v generator that puts out 12 volts..............andyd 

You might check with "Astro Auto Electric" located in Lomita (310 325 1777) They might be able to convert your 6 volt to a 12 volt.  I worded there many years ago so things might have changed some.