new way to use old stuff...

Plymouthy Adams

ok, we all know that many like to trick out their cars with gismos and gadgets.....here is a new twist on an old stand by favorite add on.  Dummy spot lights, we have all seen them...seems great many cars have these added.  NOVEL IDEA...instead of having these mounted on a windshield post as bug killlers…(yeah you have to clean the bugs off these things) instead, mount them inside with the lenses removed and adjust them to use as cup holders...you can go a bit further by inserting a center liner and allow you to fill the outer area with ice to keep the beverage cooler for longer period of time.   Next trick-add would be little drain hoses leading to the outside of your car at the floor for when the ice melts.... And you think I just sit up late at night drinking coffee just for the taste of it....

• Haha 2

I have used an old Chrysler axle housing to mount my mailbox...

mailboxx.JPG

mailboxx.JPG

mailboxx (2).JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 6/21/2019 at 12:18 PM, Dodgeb4ya said:

I have used an old Chrysler axle housing to mount my mailbox...

mailboxx.JPG

And the mailbox itself is baseball bat proof ?

• Like 2

My wood shed was made out of the local high school soccer goal. It was made of  2x2 steel and the grounds keeper called me and asked if I wanted them. I took them and added the cedar boards that I pulled out of a dumpster on a job I was rebuilding after the demo crew did the demo after the house was flooded. I bought the fire hydrant from an auction and repainted it. The cedar stump holding up the eagle floated out of our local mill pond after they drained it for dam repair and city gave it to me.   

I used to store a windmill head on the side of my shed until I was able to erect the windmill. I missed the look on the side of my garage so my father in law made me it. 

F46BACB7-6513-4609-9469-8051C3D8AB41.jpeg

A997E6B2-D33C-41B3-A215-78496082531B.jpeg

• Like 1

On 6/22/2019 at 9:53 PM, casper50 said:

I have recycled my used dirty engine oil in my chainsaw bar oiler.

Not a good idea. Engine oil is not tacky like bar oil and flies off the chain too quickly, thereby causing premature wear on the bar and the chain.

22 minutes ago, Mike36 said:

Not a good idea. Engine oil is not tacky like bar oil and flies off the chain too quickly, thereby causing premature wear on the bar and the chain.

well, it is better than not using any chain oil at all.....most all chain oil is recycled motor oil.....there is also no SAE rating for chain oil...I have seen some pretty sticky nasty oil drained from an engine...some would come close to gluing your fingers together.....the manufacturers of chain bar oil will have you drawn and quartered for not using their product......as many professional will use bar oil they will also not stop at using old engine oil in a pinch to get a job done for the day....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Rainy day project,....decided to adapt a vintage heater from my stash, into my Roadster.  Lotta head scratching to shoehorn it into the limited space available.  Had to "hack" the original plumbing, 86'd the 6 volt fan and will fabricate a plenum to mount a couple 12 vdc muffin fans.  Took forever to visualize a path to the solution.  It's a wood and cardboard mockup so far.

Img_1569.jpg

heater 1.jpg

heater 2.jpg

heater 4a.jpg

Edited by mrwrstory

Finally after a whole lotta head scratching, I think I've got it.  Two pieces of folded sheet metal.  The voids in between are the plenum for the air to pass through the heater coil and out the front.  Part #1 (far right in last pics) mounts the muffin fans and is bolted to the firewall.  Part #2 is attached to the original and modified housing and that assembly is attached to thefirewall part via bolts through the side flanges.

Img_1589.jpg

Img_1592.jpg

Img_1593.jpg

Edited by mrwrstory

I  totally admire your fabrication skills..while not meaning to offend, I guess I'm  one of those guys that would be considered as having his back turned towards the future...lol

Edited by T120