Radial tires on original wheels

ddesjard

my toe inn was a little off, driving at 65 and rims made for bias and wammo. broken rim. my junk yard down the road had a rim for a 52 imperial right on the shelf.

• Like 1

For a read from SEMA, I'd like to submit this article. I read this a couple years ago when I was concerned with mounting radial's on 16" lock ring wheel's. It's interesting that the drop center wheels pictured, are cracking or broken at the hub and not the flange. 

Bias-vs-Radial-Tire-Wheel-Fitment.pdf

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 8:17 PM, 9 foot box said:

For a read from SEMA, I'd like to submit this article. I read this a couple years ago when I was concerned with mounting radial's on 16" lock ring wheel's. It's interesting that the drop center wheels pictured, are cracking or broken at the hub and not the flange. 

Bias-vs-Radial-Tire-Wheel-Fitment.pdf 135.71 kB · 19 downloads

That is a good short to the point article. I have been trying to find something like it in my radial and front end alignment thread. I contacted SEMA on that and they do not have anything. This is good on the wheels.

But,

On my 1947 I had a new set of wheels built as I have disc's on it. I have had micro cracks where the centers meet the wheel. They did not dress the center "edges" before pressing it in and welding it. The weight of my big 1947 Suburban plus the radial stiffness causes the center to flex and the sharp edges to "dig in" to the wheel outer rim and cause the cracks.  We have over welded them a couple of times.  I finally just put a set of tubes in.  They do make a wheel where the center is round and not attached on four points. I may have a set like that made up as they do a continuous weld to the wheel outer rim on that one....

James.

On 7/17/2019 at 1:28 PM, Adam H P15 D30 said:

The early stages before I went to modern rims...  This is just paint cracking because of the flex.

rim.JPG.ba80bae8fef7f0e2dca9f8f710234db9.JPG

What kind of modern rims did you end up going with?