Transmission shifter floor conversion

Davknz
Go to solution Solved by Frank Elder,

Still pretty new here ,was trying to scout out info on my own but to no avail. Is it possible to convert 3speed manual column shift to a floor shift, while maintaining original trans if so , please advise, kits or otherwise 

thank you

The shifter in post #4 will not work on an overdrive transmission. I could not find a  manufacturer for this.  I have designed and fabricated a shifter, I have it installed but haven’t Road tested it yet. Will do such this fall. It is for the stick three on the tree, car or truck,  with or without an overdrive. 

The photo is an “under construction “ picture. It is proving to be a very exacting mechanism, thus road testing an absolute must.

6D962A25-840B-4EC6-A156-14FE50977698.jpeg

• Like 3

• Solution

I love 3onatree, that being said.....if I was going to put a floor shifter in a car that never had one from the factory, it would be a 5 or 6 speed so I could reap the benefits from OD or double OD. I realize this not the OP's chosen path, just my opinion.:)

EDIT. Put one of these on there and no ones the wiser til you start rowing gears.

001.jpg

Edited by Frank Elder
  • Like 1

Yeah I hear ya , I’ve definitely been lookin at t5’s and you’re right might as well go all the way ,something more practical and functional, I just figured I might be able to source a floor shift kit cheaper than a trans lol I’m not really worried about keeping original, I’ve already put and explorer rear end in ?

Way back when I had a 65 GMC pick up with 3 on the tree. The shifter linkage under the hood was so worn out that there were 1/4" grooves in the linkage parts. I had to pull like hell for 1st and reverse and push hard for 2nd and 3rd, and it was still a maybe I could get the gear. I went to a auto parts store and bought a floor shift kit and put it in. problem solved. Took about 2 hours and that was cutting the hole in the floor.

Joe Lee

2 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

....if I was going to put a floor shifter in a car that never had one from the factory, it would be a 5 or 6 speed so I could reap the benefits from OD o

Frank, I have come to side with you. I have an S10 T5 on the bench which I will install this fall.

E4CCBD90-C6E2-4F39-B8D1-CF1D63F7D8B8.jpeg

• 1 year later...

The first issue you'll encounter is the scarcity (maybe even none) of floor shift kits for the transmission type the 51 uses.  The selector type has never been popular with the kit makers.

I'd suggest instead that you go over all the linkage replacing all worn or loose parts and followup with an accurate adjustment.  I think you will find it to work fine for normal use after that. 

A 3 speed from a ‘49 or earlier should bolt right in. Just have to modify the floor pan for the shift lever. The only question would be the park brake linkage. The linkage mounts may be different for the pull cable setup vs. the floor lever type on the earlier transmissions.