moulding placement

1949wayfarer

I recently purchased a 1949 Dodge wayfarer, it was a factory base model - no trim and I'm wanting to correctly place the rear fender moulding.

If I was to measure its placement this is what I would do:
Passenger side:
1. with piece of paper; place it level under the trim and have it touch the welt of the fender, mark the length for the left and right positions of the trim to the welt of the fender.
2. with a yard stick or a small wood trim strap, edge on the floor/ground and parallel with the fender at the trim edge and with a small adjustable set square, mark the bottom of the fender and bottom of the trim ends and note the distance between those marks.

Thank you so much

Rear fender.jpg

Firstly thank you for replying, I was wondering what you had meant - by what you said...

I'm looking for someone to measure their 49 Dodge rear fender for me and thought I should suggest the best way I knew.

Silly me,  you must have thought I was showing off!

not thinking that at all...as the holes are drilled for the molding, the clips do not lock to the molding in any X-marks the spot location, so such as it is...one would center the molding to the fender.  The thing about the molding is the very light curve of the piece to match the curved end of the fender.  Situate this too far one way or the other and you can have a gap on one end and a cutting into the finish on the other.  As you have this centered you can see the equalization of this curve matching both fender and molding.  When tightened but not overly so, this affixes the molding and also with enough resistance not to slide when washing the car and should you snag a rag.  Someone here may post a pic...but am certain that most cars here have been addressed in a fashion that a repaint has made it to where their molding was aligned in similar fashion as your outlined process above.  Personally, I think it looks fab..

The car that I have did not have any door, belt line, rocker and rear fender moulding. It has never been drilled or has there ever been any moulding on it - it came from the factory with no moulding. I'm needing to know were to place the moulding (the fenders) so I can drill for it. The fender moulding that I recently purchased is not the exact shape of the fender, possibly bent when it was removed for a salvage car or from shipping as for the other reason I need to know were it is to be positioned.

ok..now I know just what it is you are asking...…..the only article I am aware of was on the Plymouths in regard to the fender trim description and the fact that they were higher in 1949 and got lower each subsequent year.  I have a set of 49 Plymouth fenders in the barn hanging on the wall.  A quick check of these show that the holes were centered 4 1/4 inch above the top of the fender wheel opening at center of this opening.  

Think you’re doing the right thing by adding the moldings to you car. It will completely transform the look of your car. My wagon was without any exterior trim and I located all the trim that was available and it makes the wagon. Be sure to fit the trim to body contours before installing. They tend to get a little bent sometimes when removed. Take the time to polish them before install and remove any dings

its not hard to polish or straighten stainless  the one thing I didn’t do was drill my wagon body for molding clips. I couldn’t bring myself to drilling holes. I sheared some aluminum slats that slide inside the back side of the molding then used 3M two faced molding tape to attach them to the wagon. Just like all new cars/truck have their moldings attached. 3 years and 10000 Miles later not one loose molding

even my gravel guards are taped on

9BB62ED1-E559-439D-B94D-5D2CC9643BDF.jpeg

• Thanks 1