Overheated coil

Frank Blackstone

While attempting to start my P-15 I left the ignition key on while I was charging the battery. Oil spewed from the coil after it became hot . It seemed to produce a spark for ignition after it cooled. But now later I have no spark.  If it does not recover what is the source for replacement?

Is it still 6 volts or 12 volts?

You can probably get a new 6 volt coil at NAPA - I saw them listed.

I would also replace the points and condenser because if the points were closed at that time they are more than likely burnt. Replace the condenser, too, to be on the safe side.

• Like 1

To go to 12 volts you replace the battery, coil, generator and get the starter checked although it "should" be o/k tho' ideally replace it with a 12 volt starter, replace ALL the light globes, install a voltage resistor in the fuel gauge power line, and thats about it......assuming that all the wiring is sound and in working order...........the temp and oil gauges are mechanical so have no interest in anything electrical, the amp gauge just reads amps  and doesn't care whether they are 6 or 12 volts and if you have an electric wiper, clock, radio or anything else that runs on electricity then that thing/s will need to be either converted to run on 12 volts if possible or use some sort of voltage drop or resistor thing......this is basically what I did 40 odd yrs ago in my 1940 Dodge although it also has a 318 Poly etc but that will only confuse the issue...........lol................andyd    

Well O' Reilly's where I have an account,  could not find anything about the coil, points or condenser. They could only offer a universal coil with no specs. of output voltage.  They needed parts number. I remember the old site had part numbers so am I missing therm here?  Any help would be appreciated. I am doing this all by phone as I do not have transportation  to go the 6 miles to O Reilly's or NAPA. Thanks, Frank  

Standard Ignition UC14 coil.  Listed on O'reilly's web site.  I looked up the PN on rockauto.com.  Favorite site of mine.  easy to find PNs by application then search the web by PN.

edit to add:  NGK 48772

both 6v, direct replacement for your stock coil.  Don's pic is for the correct parts for a 12v upgrade if you go to a 12v system.

Edited by kencombs

OK Don  So I don't want to make this an more difficult , which I tend to do, than it is. Since the coil is 12 volt and I am using a 6 volt battery do I need the resistor that is necessary for a 12 volt system? Sometimes I need step by step information. You KNOW me.