Manual throttle cable repair?

Hey All;

Anyone come up with a decent way to replace a broken inner cable on our control cables. Had one let go the other day..... fortunately I had a spare. I have a couple that have broken inner "wires" and would like to repair them for my spares. Not sure what material to use? Was hoping maybe someone here already has it figured out?

Thanks, Jeff

I have in the past repaired pull levers with crimped in wire and when replacing you can use the bulk roll wire as found at most of the lawn mower repair places by the foot...some are crimped, some are just spot staked..depends on how it is affixed as to how much trouble it is going to be for you..

1 hour ago, ggdad1951 said:

I've been rebuilding control cables for 5 years...

I knew it had come up....just couldn't for the life of me remember who. Care to share what kind of wire you use? I just want to fix a couple and put them back into my spares.

Jeff

13 hours ago, Jeff Balazs said:

I knew it had come up....just couldn't for the life of me remember who. Care to share what kind of wire you use? I just want to fix a couple and put them back into my spares.

Jeff

I made some tooling to hold the parts properly and then bought the minimum order qty of the the sheath and the wire (200'), then it's just silver soldering (with some technique).

Thanks Mark;

I had done a search for this....and it didn't come up. Maybe I will just send a couple to you for rebuild when I get back.

We are headed to Flagstaff on Thursday to visit our daughter.

You know stuff like these cable actuated controls are part of the real charm these trucks hold over me. Screw all the "new" stuff I love the roll up windows....the hand actuated cowl vent....and the cable actuators. It is all just perfect. I have a buddy who has a automotive repair shop across from mine. OMG almost all of the late model stuff they work on is just silly. Plastic engine parts ? who thought up the plastic valve covers on BMW's & Audis? Guess the factory doesn't understand what happens to plastic that is subjected to heat? Many of the newer vehicles have 20 or more specially shaped hoses in the cooling systems. They had a Toyota van in there the other day......had to remove literally half of the interior including the dash and steering column to get at some these hoses. Great thinking there. And then there was a Honda van that had more wiring, switches and motors in one of the rear doors than my entire truck. What a bunch of hooey.

I tell you what all the "new" stuff makes are old trucks look real good. Just spending a bit of time in Carl's shop has given me a deeper appreciation for the old ways. I will be driving my old truck long after most of this rubbish ends up in the recycling bin.

Jeff

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:53 AM, Jeff Balazs said:

Thanks Mark;

I had done a search for this....and it didn't come up. Maybe I will just send a couple to you for rebuild when I get back.

We are headed to Flagstaff on Thursday to visit our daughter.

You know stuff like these cable actuated controls are part of the real charm these trucks hold over me. Screw all the "new" stuff I love the roll up windows....the hand actuated cowl vent....and the cable actuators. It is all just perfect. I have a buddy who has a automotive repair shop across from mine. OMG almost all of the late model stuff they work on is just silly. Plastic engine parts ? who thought up the plastic valve covers on BMW's & Audis? Guess the factory doesn't understand what happens to plastic that is subjected to heat? Many of the newer vehicles have 20 or more specially shaped hoses in the cooling systems. They had a Toyota van in there the other day......had to remove literally half of the interior including the dash and steering column to get at some these hoses. Great thinking there. And then there was a Honda van that had more wiring, switches and motors in one of the rear doors than my entire truck. What a bunch of hooey.

I tell you what all the "new" stuff makes are old trucks look real good. Just spending a bit of time in Carl's shop has given me a deeper appreciation for the old ways. I will be driving my old truck long after most of this rubbish ends up in the recycling bin.

Jeff

I changed the oil in my friends VW golf (?) or whatever 4-dr little hatchback thing she drives. It had a Plastic oil pan for chrissakes!!! Even the drain plug was plastic, twist it 90 degrees and it pops out. I don't see it lasting through a half dozen oil changes by the jamokes at jiffy-lube....

Edited by John-T-53

Hey John;

It is wild how a lot of the new stuff is built. Too much plastic and way too dependent on electronics. Most of the higher end stuff really only has a short usable life. My buddy had a customer bring in a big BMW the other day that he picked up for $1500. It looked fairly new but was 8 years old. Oil leaks everywhere and the braking system needed $3500 worth of parts and labor to get it working. The fuel injection system was a real mess. By the time the fellow put new tires on it he had about $12,000 into it and it still needs a lot of attention. I think I will stick with my old truck.

Jeff

Well about a month ago they had a Porsche Cayenne in .......guess what the battery and black boxes are in a box under the seat. It is a low spot like a sump. Wanna guess where anything spilled in the car winds up? Not sure what happened but the owner brought it in complaining about an odor......... it was a stinking mess down there. Never did hear what the cost was on the ruined electronics.....but it was not cheap.

The "engineers" that designed this accident waiting happen should be ashamed of themselves.