surfs up123

surfsup123

Need info on installing rack & pinion steering on 1948 Dodge Business coupe,..the steering box is shot and was thinking of going with Rack & Pinion, ...was told years ago that a Rack out of a 72 monti carlo or chevelle would fit ?,...Has anyone out there ever done this? If so then what is critical about this job?...I've never done any steering mods on anything so I'm not really confident doing this , can anyone point me in the right direction or give me some solid advice?

Fatman sells or used to sell Chevy Cavalier rack kits for your car.  There are better options with certain steering boxes but I don't have the links handy.  Also, there is a recent thread on the car main page talking about some of these options.  None of the potential doner vehicles you mention are rack&pinion, in fact they are front steer cars so the boxes would not work in your application.

I think a rack in a 72 monte carlo would be a very rare option...….the TRW rack as found in the Cavalier class GM junker is the item used.  The same rack was also Mopar LH platform BUT, even when you look at the setup you would not think the Mopar is forward of the steering axis but it is....both use the same bushing rebuild kit also.