New Car Day! 1938 P6 Plymouth Deluxe

keithb7

3 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

My 21 year old son dropped by this evening for a visit.  It’s been so long with the covid isolation. Was so good to see him.

He was here maybe 10 mins and he headed for the Plymouth. He sat in the drivers seat and asked if I’d take him for a ride....Yes! Thank you for asking. I was dying to take him for a ride. It was so fun. He’s so into the old cars. He made  lots of positive comments reinforcing all my winter work. We had a good fun cruise.  He loved the car. I loved that he’s into it. He loved the new carpet! 

My son said he passed me on the road earlier tonight when I was out cruising. He commented that the car is so unique, it sticks out on the road. He’s not seeing any other old cars like it on the roads. When driving-by he said it looks awesome. “Can’t see the flaws”, he said. He said at least 20 things to feed my appetite, and encourage me to plow ahead on the car. 

CED5A543-83FD-4AB6-869C-DFF37B8C6374.jpeg

I loved reading this update and your last one, Keith! So glad your son appreciates your work on the car and wants to spend time with you enjoying it. That is something very special 

• Like 1

When ya’ll get sick of these photos let me know. It’s probably going to take me a little while to stop.

A senior approached me tonight. He asked lots of questions about my car.  He liked it looking a little rough he said.  “Too pretty...And you probably wouldn’t drive it down here on the beach”,  he said.  At the end of the conversation he commented that it was nice to see some people looking after the old things. Then he said “Now, I keep looking for a girlfriend who’ll do the same.”  Lol. 

I’ve been reassured the world really is a better place when you cruise around in an old Plymouth. There are many good, friendly, happy people in this world. Even during this pandemic. They are easy to find when you drive an oldie. They appear everywhere you turn. 

0C7AD462-A0A5-43B9-A5AA-1DE0D90D3FDC.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 2

While out cruising this evening I had my digital multimeter on the seat. Hooked up to the batteryI watched the voltage to monitor the generator and vibrator regulators perform. I have no real good way of testing things home yet. I did order a clamp style handheld digital ammeter. Its not here yet. 

With nothing drawing off the charging system except the ignition system, the  battery is brought up to 7.49 volts. The voltage regulator seems to top it out and hold it there. 

With the engine RPMs up, heater blower motor on high, high beams on, dash and tail lights on, and of course ignition system drawing, climbing the hill home, the battery is held at about 7.0 V. It does not drop below. That’s pretty well all the amp draw I can muster up. 

Are these voltage readings indicative of a good working generator and regulator? Comments appreciated as I am not sure. 
Thanks. 

Edited by keithb7

6 minutes ago, Sam Buchanan said:

Looks good to me.......very close to what I see with the alternator in the P15.

Thanks.

Just to confirm, you installed an alternator? I know little about installation however it does seem appealing.  So, the regulator is removed from the system? Alternator makes full power, even at idle? So the battery never needs to assist at stop and go traffic type driving. Correct? Thanks.

Edited by keithb7

2 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

Thanks.

Just to confirm, you installed an alternator? I know little about installation however it does seem appealing.  So, the regulator is removed from the system? Alternator makes full power, even at idle? So the battery never needs to assist at stop and go traffic type driving. Correct? Thanks.

The alternator is a great upgrade. It keeps the battery at full voltage at idle even with everything turned on. I installed a single-wire alternator so no external regulator is needed. 

On 11/19/2019 at 11:23 PM, keithb7 said:

I’m feeling like the luckiest man in the old car hobby tonight. My wife has began her contribution. The front seat!  So grateful for her assistance. 

1A41BAC6-6ADC-4CE7-A0D5-B3E1E9B841DF.jpeg

Hello, I will attack the restoration of the seats of my P8 1939. Do you remember the dimensions of the fabric that you bought? is it canvas for the living room sofa?
The cotton below the fabric was eaten by the mice, did you put foam or did you find cotton? thank you nice work!

On 4/19/2020 at 9:28 PM, keithb7 said:

While out cruising this evening I had my digital multimeter on the seat. Hooked up to the batteryI watched the voltage to monitor the generator and vibrator regulators perform. I have no real good way of testing things home yet. I did order a clamp style handheld digital ammeter. Its not here yet. 

With nothing drawing off the charging system except the ignition system, the  battery is brought up to 7.49 volts. The voltage regulator seems to top it out and hold it there. 

With the engine RPMs up, heater blower motor on high, high beams on, dash and tail lights on, and of course ignition system drawing, climbing the hill home, the battery is held at about 7.0 V. It does not drop below. That’s pretty well all the amp draw I can muster up. 

Are these voltage readings indicative of a good working generator and regulator? Comments appreciated as I am not sure. 
Thanks. 

If everything electrical is working that well, I see no need to even think of an alternator. The amount these old cars idle and not charge is very limited. I have four old Mopars all with 6V generators and regulators and never have a problem with low batteries. If driving lots in a city with stop and go maybe you might have an issue but nowadays not many people drive their old Mopars in these conditions.

Edited by RobertKB

I hit the freeway tonight and traveled 30 miles at 50-55 mph. No issues at all. Beyond 55 things get a little dicey for my liking. Here is a quick video I put together showing some more progress tonight. Improvements continue:

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, keithb7 said:

I hit the freeway tonight and traveled 30 miles at 50-55 mph. No issues at all. Beyond 55 things get a little dicey for my liking. Here is a quick video I put together showing some more progress tonight. Improvements continue:

Great video, Keith! Thank you for sharing this with us. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Been looking forward to a video of your '38 in action!  Thanks for sharing.  I lost a headlight ring off my 51 last winter.  Luckily I had 3 spares ?

• Like 1

Today my ‘38 was up on the hoist. That was exciting to be able to walk freely, under the car. Pre-inspection for new exhaust was done so parts can be ordered. Future date for exhaust installation to be determined. 

The Boys at the shop were kinda smitten with the old car. They loved it. Reinforcing the “worn-driver,” look that is has going on. They asked if I could open the hood and show ‘em around. That was fun. I felt proud and happy to introduce them to 1930’s engineering.  I got the feeling they might like the opportunity to work on it. Sorry guys, just the exhaust?

F2F02D6B-2C6A-445F-815C-4618A4D38C9A.jpeg

D033840F-EAA7-47AD-A946-A436AC409CAE.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 2

A little more detail of the x-frame design.  Not bad for 82 years old! May it never erode further...

C902FED3-75B2-43C9-A7B7-AC71D2C7102A.jpeg

Edited by keithb7

No its not torn. The retainer wire for the leather boot needs to be tightened. I have a new u-joint rebuild kit. Will get to it at some point. 

She sat a long time somewhere. I figure at least covered up. Likely in a barn or partial cover, I estimate. Decades maybe? I found a vehicle inspection decal on a window dated 1981. So we know at least it was probably driven regularly then. 

You can sorta see a few more reasons why I decided to acquire this one when it appeared for sale. Good history. Decent condition. Rarely seen in these parts. Great curves! The 3S factor (split hood, split rear window, suicide doors) Just a sweet little car. They really are pretty compact. Deceiving sorta. 

@dpollo Do have any insight as to any utilization of my car pre 2018? Back to say, 1981? Thx. Perhaps I’ll call Murray again and ask. 

Edited by keithb7

Murray could tell you.  I do not think it was over-used and the mileage on the speedometer is correct.

I can probably help you with the windshield wiper.

Edited by dpollo
additional info

I took dpollo’s advice and had another great telephone chat with  the previous owner of the car tonight. I feel a little guilty prying Murray for info. I’m asking him questions about the car that happened 54 years ago. He was great and I was happy with what I learned. He paid $35 for the car when he bought it in 1966. Lol. 

Here’s a few pics of the new knob my friend spun off his lathe for me. The air vent lever knob. Stainless. I think it’s fantastic. 

6D192BEB-5A55-4A82-938E-E1992CA29DF5.jpeg

839AEA18-D701-455C-A0DC-74BED21E13E9.jpeg

• Like 1

I had my '51 Dodge D39 (Canadian model) business coupe out yesterday for a covid drive as well. I am close to the edge of the city and can and do get out in the country lots. Rocky Mountains are in the background. I live on the prairies but the mountains in Waterton Lakes National Park are an easy 90 minute drive away. Waterton abuts Glacier National Park in Montana.

IMG_E1770.thumb.JPG.4b6683370e9d760240d2d986bca20d87.JPG

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 1

Great looking car @RobertKB. Looks like a nice place to live and cruise. Prairies, mountains and lakes nearby. Big sky and far away horizons. We’re not able to see that far out around here. 

Great looking car @RobertKB. Looks like a nice place to live and cruise. Prairies, mountains and lakes nearby. Big sky and far away horizons. We’re not able to see that far out around here. 

5 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Yes, it is a nice area.

Thanks for nice comment about the car. I appreciate how much you enjoy working on your car and all the updates. I know you really like to drive it as well which is the most fun about these old cars.

I know how much work is involved in getting a car up and running and maintaining it. I included a picture of the '51 Dodge business coupe, showing a similar angle, when I first got the car. That trunk is the reason I bought the car! And the fact they only made 345 of them. I enjoyed the whole process of restoring the car although there have been a few frustrating times...........mainly problems that arose once the car was on the road. Everything is good now and I love to take it out although it has to share road time with two other old MOPARS. Incidentally, I got a lot of good advice and some hard to find parts from dpollo on this forum.

Please keep the update of repairs and pictures of outings coming. I always enjoy them!

DSCN8138.JPG.f0fb72120f27a26221bfbf45e9f6b5dc.JPG

IMG_E1771.JPG.2913d913d02f1192d851546d779cf39c.JPG

Edited by RobertKB
  • Like 1

Last night my wife and I went through drive-through, then we sat in the car in a big empty parking lot. Like when we were teenagers. We ate, chatted and laughed as the sun set. It was nice. As seen in the pic above. Until...Vapor lock. Again! I've driven alone for 200 miles and I have had no problem. I assumed I had it sorted out. Apparently not.

So, for the very last time, (I hope) I went to the trunk, grabbed a screw driver and swapped over the fuel lines to my reserve plan. The electric fuel pump. 5 mins later I got back in the car stinking like gasoline, and we cruised some more. This morning I bought an " auto spring-return" temporary  power switch and wired everything up. I got under the car and had a good look around. I don't really see a great spot for the 6V pump near the tank. Just one spot I think I could work with.  However the electric pump has been working fine, where it has been mounted on the firewall. I decided to test it in that position.  I pulled the glass bowl and drained the mechanical fuel pump.  I bought a new metal-housing fuel filter. I had a plastic one, but was reminded that officials don't like them in the engine area. If there is a fire they melt. Good point! I plumbed the fuel system up like this: Tank, to mechanical pump. Then to fuel filter. Then to 6V electric pump on the firewall. Then up to the carb bowl.

I began testing and I ran the 6V pump. It easily draws fuel through the mechanical pump, the filter and delivers to the carb bowl, when the engine is not turning.  I watched the empty fuel bowl in the mechanical pump fill up quickly with fuel. Then I released the sprung switch, killing the 6V pump and started up the car using the mechanical pump. Seemed to work perfectly. The mechanical pump easily pushes fuel through the dormant 6V pump, and fuel filter. I test drove the car using the mechanical pump. Seems to work just fine. I've got 6V power at the flick of the sprung switch if needed, any time the ignition key is on. I'll use it to prime the system for easier starting. I'll also use it if I experience vapor lock.  

I may run it like this for a while. It seems to work well. People always say it's best to mount the 6V pump close to the tank. I may do that yet. However I still want a filter between the tank and the 6V pump. We'll see. It's tight back there. For now, further testing will resume.

A pic from last night out cruising is below.  The 20-ish kids again were ranting and yelling at me and waving. I give em a blast with the aaoogah horn, they love it. A couple of lads, I passed them again an hour later. They were on the sidewalk and saw me coming. Their hands cupped around their mouth yelling the chat "One more time! One more time!" I gave em the horn again and they cheered loudly with hi-fives. Lol. I never expected this with this old car. She's far from prettied-up. This was the first time my wife was with me to experience this. She was surprised too. It's certainly not the same type of reaction we get when we are out in our  Chrysler

IMG_6012 (1).jpg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 5

On 4/20/2020 at 9:00 AM, maxime said:

Hello, I will attack the restoration of the seats of my P8 1939. Do you remember the dimensions of the fabric that you bought? is it canvas for the living room sofa?
The cotton below the fabric was eaten by the mice, did you put foam or did you find cotton? thank you nice work!

Sorry Maxime for the late response. I cannot tell you the dimensions of the fabric we bought. My wife figured it out and did buy a lot of fabric. Some type of fabric that we agreed looked good.  I don't think its for sofas. My wife inserted some type of batting used for quilting I think. It was added on top of the original wool. My apologies on the details. I'm a nuts and bolts guy. I'm pretty useless about the upholstery details.

1 hour ago, keithb7 said:

Last night my wife and I went through drive-through, then we sat in the car in a big empty parking lot. Like when we were teenagers. We ate, chatted and laughed as the sun set. It was nice. As seen in the pic above. Until...Vapor lock. Again! I've driven alone for 200 miles and I have had no problem. I assumed I had it sorted out. Apparently not.

So, for the very last time, (I hope) I went to the trunk, grabbed a screw driver and swapped over the fuel lines to my reserve plan. The electric fuel pump. 5 mins later I got back in the car stinking like gasoline, and we cruised some more. This morning I bought an " auto spring-return" temporary  power switch and wired everything up. I got under the car and had a good look around. I don't really see a great spot for the 6V pump near the tank. Just one spot I think I could work with.  However the electric pump has been working fine, where it has been mounted on the firewall. I decided to test it in that position.  I pulled the glass bowl and drained the mechanical fuel pump.  I bought a new metal-housing fuel filter. I had a plastic one, but was reminded that officials don't like them in the engine area. If there is a fire they melt. Good point! I plumbed the fuel system up like this: Tank, to mechanical pump. Then to fuel filter. Then to 6V electric pump on the firewall. Then up to the carb bowl.

I began testing and I ran the 6V pump. It easily draws fuel through the mechanical pump, the filter and delivers to the carb bowl, when the engine is not turning.  I watched the empty fuel bowl in the mechanical pump fill up quickly with fuel. Then I released the sprung switch, killing the 6V pump and started up the car using the mechanical pump. Seemed to work perfectly. The mechanical pump easily pushes fuel through the dormant 6V pump, and fuel filter. I test drove the car using the mechanical pump. Seems to work just fine. I've got 6V power at the flick of the sprung switch if needed, any time the ignition key is on. I'll use it to prime the system for easier starting. I'll also use it if I experience vapor lock.  

I may run it like this for a while. It seems to work well. People always say it's best to mount the 6V pump close to the tank. I may do that yet. However I still want a filter between the tank and the 6V pump. We'll see. It's tight back there. For now, further testing will resume.

A pic from last night out cruising is below.  The 20-ish kids again were ranting and yelling at me and waving. I give em a blast with the aaoogah horn, they love it. A couple of lads, I passed them again an hour later. They were on the sidewalk and saw me coming. Their hands cupped around their mouth yelling the chat "One more time! One more time!" I gave em the horn again and they cheered loudly with hi-fives. Lol. I never expected this with this old car. She's far from prettied-up. This was the first time my wife was with me to experience this. She was surprised too. It's certainly not the same type of reaction we get when we are out in our  Chrysler

IMG_6012 (1).jpg

Strange about the mechanical pump. I have never had an issue in 45 years of driving old Mopars. I bought my ‘53 Plymouth in 1975, same year I got married, and I think I changed the pump once in it just being overly cautious. Touch wood!!

Great picture of the ‘38. You have a knack of catching your cars just right!