New Car Day! 1938 P6 Plymouth Deluxe

keithb7

9 hours ago, keithb7 said:

I feel like I have something usable here this evening. Decent testing time tonight and it all seems good. 

25D837C9-2002-40B4-AA3E-206214B68997.jpeg

That's good news!  

A small step for mankind. A giant leap for my 1938.  

Having a great day cruising in isolation.  Isolating more issues I need to address. Lol. It running great. Coolant temp staying nice and low. Even climbing the big hills around my home.  

6022C103-5943-4413-8A5E-E5326F476C6A.jpeg

I pulled the big winding hill home (sections up to 11% grade) in top gear, 3rd. Never down shifted. My speed never dropped below 30 mph. Engine temp gauge about 125F steady. About a 7 minute climb at 30 mph. 

I’m quite happy. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, RobertKB said:

Great. Looks like you got the fuel pump issue sorted. 

I was able to sort it out. Today's cruising confirmed that...I think, I finally got it. I put 55 miles on odometer today on the stock fuel system with my rebuilt mechanical fuel pump. All last week I was struggling with the fuel system. I figured I had vapor lock. I actually had a few different things going on. I just had to get them all sorted out and realize that not just 1 problem was the answer. 

1. I found that silicone goop that had worked its way up to my need valve

2. I ran out of fuel, unknowingly. (fuel gauge is inaccurate. Surprise!)

3. The pivot pin in my mechanical pump walked out and the pump would not work

The fuel pump pivot pin is retained only by swaging the pump housing that surrounds the ends of the pin. I did that, but not quite aggressive enough. The pin walked out. I used my Mity-Vac tool and an electric 6V pump to trouble shoot and eliminate variables.  I certainly had a "Doh!" moment when I realized the fuel tank was empty, yet the gauge read ½ tank. 

Old cars...We learn each of their own unique little quirks each passing day. Getting older has calmed me down. In my 20's I'd likely have been throwing tools by day 3 of the intermittent fuel related problems. LOL. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Getting older has calmed me down. In my 20's I'd likely have been throwing tools by day 3 of the intermittent fuel related problems. LOL. 

There are a few advantages to getting older.

I would have been throwing tools before day 3. It took me a long time but I finally learned to walk away and come back a day or two later. After thinking about the problem without being p****d off, there was usually a solution to most problems.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, keithb7 said:

A small step for mankind. A giant leap for my 1938.  

Having a great day cruising in isolation.  Isolating more issues I need to address. Lol. It running great. Coolant temp staying nice and low. Even climbing the big hills around my home.  

6022C103-5943-4413-8A5E-E5326F476C6A.jpeg

I pulled the big winding hill home (sections up to 11% grade) in top gear, 3rd. Never down shifted. My speed never dropped below 30 mph. Engine temp gauge about 125F steady. About a 7 minute climb at 30 mph. 

I’m quite happy. 

This car is a beauty and so photogenic! Glad you're making such great progress!

I went out again this morning for another cruise. Cool and gusting this morning. The driver door has no window in it, was chilly. Heater on, felt good. I am approaching 100 miles on the odometer now since  yesterday morning. A few little things have turned up, not much.  The engine oil filter canister is leaking a little. I will deal with it. Left rear wheel brake cylinder has a little leak. I had cleaned up, re-used and rebuilt what was there. I will order a new one ASAP. Other than that, so far great.

People today are generally lacking any understanding of the art of going out and just peacefully cruising. 25-30 MPH is so nice and relaxing in an old car. The sun out, the engine purring.  You can feel the road with the skinny bias tires. Then soon enough some modern car, is up your rear.  In a hurry. Pushing you to get out of the way.  Their car is just a tool, a means to quickly get them where they need to go. The stern look on their face confirms. They are not interested in seeing the neighbourhood sights thru the windshield.  Old cars, the satisfaction of maintaining one, and driving one, enjoying them, is lost on so many people.

I decided, this cruising season I'll plan to get up and out as the sun comes up, more often. There will be so little traffic, I can putter along at 25  mph as I please. 

From this morning:

IMG_5915.jpg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

I went out again this morning for another cruise. Cool and gusting this morning. The driver door has now window in it, was chilly. Heater on, felt good. I am approaching 100 miles on the odometer now since  yesterday morning. A few little things have turned up, not much.  The engine oil filter canister is leaking a little. I will deal with it. Left rear wheel brake cylinder has a little leak. I had cleaned up, re-used and rebuilt what was there. I will order a new one ASAP. Other than that, so far great.

People today are generally lacking any understanding of the art of going out and just peacefully cruising. 25-30 MPH is so nice and relaxing in an old car. The sun out, the engine purring.  You can feel the road with the skinny bias tires. Then soon enough some modern car, is up your rear.  In a hurry. Pushing you to get out of the way.  Their car is just a tool, a means to quickly get them where they need to go. The stern look on their face confirms. They are not interested in seeing the neighbourhood sights thru the windshield.  Old cars, the satisfaction of maintaining one, and driving one, enjoying them, is lost on so many people.

I decided, this cruising season I'll plan to get up and out as the sun comes up, more often. There will be so little traffic, I can putter along at 25  mph as I please. 

From this morning:

IMG_5915.jpg

I feel that second paragraph on such a deep level.

• Like 1

Beautiful....!

I agree on the tailgaters...I live close to farm country...only calm roads easy to drive and enjoy the scenery....till some ass doing 60 is pushing you.

Hate em.

• Like 2

My dad was a Type A personality, and drove like it.  In the old days of major highways being two lanes, my dad would find himself too often behind an accursed Sunday Driver.  The two personalities  didn't mix well. 

Once my dad was a passenger in Grampa's car.  Grampa accelerated (if you could call it that), shifted to second, and left the car in second.  My dad, the engineer, suggested shifting to third.   But Grampa said, "I'm going fast enough.)    

This afternoon my wife asked if the car was ready for an ice creme trip. I said, I think so. It’s been problem free.  My son jumps in also. Off we go. Good  little cruise. I took a long-cut home. 

Laying my foot into it, to start climbing the hill back home....Sputter, cough. Stall. S**t! I coast backwards into a convenient safe pull out. 

I pop a hood half. Pull the air cleaner. I action the throttle linkage while looking into the carb. No fuel. Hmm. I lay in the dirt to get a look at the mechanical fuel pump. Feeling around...Yup. The shaft pin has backed out of its bore again. No pump action. 

I was prepared. I had the necessary tools. The spare electric fuel pump was still mounted in place. I quickly swapped fuel hoses over. I put the fuse in the holder and hit the key.  We were back on our way in about 10 minutes.  

My son was very impressed. Lol. My wife just browsed on her phone for the few minutes. When I pulled away, she smiled and rolled her eyes. Though she did not say it, I read it in her face. “It’s no big deal. It’s not the first, nor will it be the last time we have similar episodes in these toys of yours.”  That’s my girl. She supports me. 

A9D1E795-5ADC-474A-B6EE-51F6B8EED9FC.jpeg

Roadside action:

1388B5D8-7987-4E67-8622-EFDBB55912B1.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 2

That electric pump is just begging to go into the game with the first string.......and the mechanical can take its place on the bench.....  ?

I've been running electric for a year and not going back to mechanical. Good save.  :)

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Like 1

Your tailgating story reminded me of the three crowding me driving around Jacksonville, FL, heading to the Daytona Turkey Run. I had a 54 Ford 6 cylinder ? (original) and was minding business running 55. I get nervous when I can't see your headlights so I abruptly let off the pedal and a big cloud ☁ of blue smoke erupts. Man you have seen those jokers nose dive. End of problem. ? That old 223 only smoked on deceleration.

HI Keith,

Then and Now Automotive makes fuel pump kits that include new fulcrum pins that have C-clips on both ends to prevent the pin walking out. I had this happen to me on a drive. The pin walked out and the spring ended up in the oil pan. I put one of these pins in and the issue never came back.

http://www.then-now-auto.com/?s=FPA-48+Fuel+pump+kit

Pete

FPA-48.jpg.2f3c13a1db95b20fb200f83519b24ee5.jpg

• Like 2

For future readers, here’a pic of my failed attempt at punching the fuel pump housing. There probably is a tool for this that I don’t have. There may very well be a proper procedure, that I seem to have missed in high school shop class. 

JB weld is setting up now. 

E0FA61C2-6C2A-47C3-A4CC-15683AE78C8C.jpeg

Keith, what diameter is that pin? If it is a common size (1/4, 5/16, etc) why not make a pin from a grade 8 bolt shank, leave it long enough to protrude 3/8" on each end, drill both ends and secure it with a couple of washers and cotter pins.

Don't think I would trust JB Weld to secure a single-point-of-failure that leaves you with a dead car (on a dark night in freezing rain in a notoriously bad neighborhood.....).   :)

Edited by Sam Buchanan

Too late. The JB weld catalyst has been activated. I am pretty sure I’ll end up electric as you suggested Sam.  I do plan to permanently mount the 6V pump up along the frame. On a sprung toggle switch.  

If the pin backs out again (maybe it won't) the electric pump will push fuel through the mechanical pump in an emergency without having to replumb the lines. Just flip the switch. I have the same setup on the VW for priming the carbs after the car has been sitting for a few weeks.

Edited by Sam Buchanan
  • Thanks 1

Re-installation of the mechanical fool pump is complete. Further testing so far is positive. Will we pass the earlier set, 100 mile record? We shall see. 

Stellar evening here tonight. Nice and warm. Clear blue sky. I think I might just head out for a cruise here right now. Yes, I will indeed. 

60BBEB51-5041-45C5-8179-69E977AA4209.jpeg

52 minutes ago, keithb7 said:

Re-installation of the mechanical fool pump is complete. Further testing so far is positive. Will we pass the earlier set, 100 mile record? We shall see. 

Stellar evening here tonight. Nice and warm. Clear blue sky. I think I might just head out for a cruise here right now. Yes, I will indeed. 

60BBEB51-5041-45C5-8179-69E977AA4209.jpeg

Have fun man!  And good luck!  

Reliability and confidence is growing at each excursion. I’m cruising more now, comfortably. 

I did some fog-lights work today. I should have them working soon. They passed my 6V jumper wire test, and lit up. More atrocious wiring to the lights was removed. Household marrette caps were in use. 

I cut up a new $10 rug today and made a half decent front floor covering. Less noise and definitely less exhaust gas coming up thru the floor boards.  

I dropped by my local friendly exhaust shop today to schedule all new exhaust. Really looking forward to that! 
Oh, also hit the liquor depot. for some BC Lucky beer.  As seen below. I hear thats what classy vintage Plymouth owners drink in these parts. ?

65AC8379-BB21-46A2-A7F6-9C6678A16261.jpeg

796A0E95-5ADE-46D3-953E-0B39994821FF.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 3

My 21 year old son dropped by this evening for a visit.  It’s been so long with the covid isolation. Was so good to see him.

He was here maybe 10 mins and he headed for the Plymouth. He sat in the drivers seat and asked if I’d take him for a ride....Yes! Thank you for asking. I was dying to take him for a ride. It was so fun. He’s so into the old cars. He made  lots of positive comments reinforcing all my winter work. We had a good fun cruise.  He loved the car. I loved that he’s into it. He loved the new carpet! 

My son said he passed me on the road earlier tonight when I was out cruising. He commented that the car is so unique, it sticks out on the road. He’s not seeing any other old cars like it on the roads. When driving-by he said it looks awesome. “Can’t see the flaws”, he said. He said at least 20 things to feed my appetite, and encourage me to plow ahead on the car. 

CED5A543-83FD-4AB6-869C-DFF37B8C6374.jpeg

• Like 2