New Car Day! 1938 P6 Plymouth Deluxe

keithb7

@JusticeBuford I get parts from various sources. E-bay is a very good source for quality NOS parts. Andy Bernbaum for some reproduction other parts. However  quality and service there is spotty. There’s several more suppliers as well  Oldmopar.com or Kanter Auto Parts. Egge machine shop has engine rebuild parts. Vintage Power Wagons another good one. 

Keep watching for local used parts offered for sale. There are plenty of people with dead old Mopars laying around. Many parts are interchangeable. A $100 load of used parts can save you a lot of money down the road. 

Welcome to the group. There is lots of good knowledge and helpful folks here. 

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 1

I'll be sure to check those spots out for parts. I'm sure I'll be on and off of here alot as start to bring her back to life. I know the brakes are going to be a tough part of the whole thing. And I have never worked with hydraulic ones before. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, TimMuldoon said:

Is your car Canadian made ?

Yes. However the  Original 201 23” engine is gone. Has a 1953 Canadian built 25” 228 ci engine in it now. A slightly  smaller rad was installed and moved ahead 2” to accommodate the longer block. 

• Like 1

It must be a fairly early '38. All Canadian vehicles from later '38 right through to the end of flatheads had the longer 25" engine. 1938 was when Chrysler opened an engine plant in Canada and due to much lower production numbers than south of the border, only one engine size was produced, the 25".

I believe I am correct in this but stand to be corrected.

Edited by RobertKB

You are aligned with my thoughts As well.  @RobertKB. The 201 block removed From my P6 was date stamped 11/37. 

Regarding the 38-up Cdn engines: 

i Suspect this specific logo was cast in 25” long Canadian blocks  Made in Windsor.  Looks like a “”W” over top of an “”M”.  Maybe “Windsor Manufacturing” plant?

1BD7CFD4-58CC-4B10-8D56-44DD2DA7F8A9.jpeg

Edited by keithb7

• 3 weeks later...

I opened my block drain pet-cock last night. Nothing came out. I removed the drain pet-cock completely from the block. Nothing came out.  I took a small screwdriver and poked around in there. Like cement!  Eventually I was able to break through and coolant flowed out. 

My thoughts are I’ll pull the engine this winter. Put it on a rotating stand. Pull and replace all expansion plugs. Flush out the block as best I can.  Probably pull the head and inspect bores and valve sealing. Valve guides. Pull oil pan.  Plasti-gauge all bearings.  Throw the dice on a new rear seal. See what happens.

Depending on bore inspection and measurements, I may consider a hone and a re-ring. We’ll see. I’m in that far. Engine is out. It’s winter. A guy needs something to throw money at!

A recent pic of my lovely wife and I. Its sure nice to have car hobby support from your spouse. 

A16E9978-EB57-4148-8CC4-312469DEFA36.jpeg

Edited by keithb7
  • Like 4

When I replaced the exhaust manifold gaskets on my Windsor this summer (and didn't know that some of the bolts went into the coolant passages lol) I tried the drain the block of coolant and had the same problem as you. It wasn't quite like cement but I did have to poke a screwdriver around in there quite a bit before it started spurting out some pretty gross brown sludge. I bought a bottle of flush and ran it through a few driving cycles over 3 days before draining it again and rinsing it the best I could with the garden hose. I think the engine has been worked on at some point in it's life because the paint on it looks to be fairly new, or at least not 70 years old, but I have no idea when and what was done. All I do know is for now it runs great and stays a constant temperature so I have no reason to pull it apart quite yet.

Also-that's so awesome that your wife supports your hobby like that! I love seeing all your great pictures and videos too!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keithb7 said:

I opened my block drain pet-cock last night. Nothing came out. I removed the drain pet-cock completely from the block. Nothing came out.  I took a small screwdriver and poked around in there. Like cement!  Eventually I was able to break through and coolant flowed out. 

My thoughts are I’ll pull the engine this winter. Put it on a rotating stand. Pull and replace all expansion plugs. Flush out the block as best I can.  Probably pull the head and inspect bores and valve sealing. Valve guides. Pull oil pan.  Plasti-gauge all bearings.  Throw the dice on a new rear seal. See what happens.

Depending on bore inspection and measurements, I may consider a hone and a re-ring. We’ll see. I’m in that far. Engine is out. It’s winter. A guy needs something to throw money at!

A recent pic of my lovely wife and I. Its sure nice to have car hobby support from your spouse. 

Keith, I wish I could hang out in your garage while you're working on all of this! Ideally I would pull the engine on my 49 to work it over. Unfortunately, I don't have the heated space to do this and I don't have anyone locally to guide me through the process. I'll just have to watch your process from afar. 

Thanks for all the great videos and information. 

Well  @tjlarson88 if you find it helpful, I’ll try to document and upload more instructional videos to YT as I go thru the various processes In my ‘38.

I try to remember to strip the topics down to a beginner level.  When was the last time you saw a video on how a block drain pet-cock works? Lol.  It seems so very simple, yet I know for a fact there are folks who don’t know. They are perhaps intimidated by working on their car?  Maybe too reserved to ask simple questions? For fear of being though of as dumb maybe? 

I feel strongly that there are no dumb questions. We all start out knowing nothing. We all have to learn.  If my videos help others keep these old cars on the road, that is exactly what I’m looking for.

3.5 years ago I set my eyes on, and bought my very first flathead powered car. Its been an absolutely awesome journey so far. I have learned so much!

As TJ eluded, anyone from here who finds themself in my neck of the woods someday, do plan to drop by. A beer or a coffee awaits you while we lean over big old fenders and chat in person.  About all the old Mopar things we love. (Or hate. Lol)

41117F02-1C34-43FE-97F6-10A52E365BAC.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Use something like exaust tubing to fit inside your top radiator hose,and braze/weld a piece of sheet metal over the open end. Then weld a nut to the center of the "face plate" that has the correct threading for a air hose fitting.

Start out by hooking the hose to the air fitting with as much psi as your compressor can produce after taking out the drain plug from the side of the block.

Once you have managed to "push out" all the crud you can,put the petcock back in the block and pour as much vinegar in the top hose as you  can get it to take,and then hook the air hose up again with petcock closed. Let it sit a day or two to give the vinegar some time to "eat" the rust,and then open the petcock and re-attach the air hose again.

Repeat as necessary until you have good flow.

Vinegar eats rust like nobody's bidnez.

• Like 3