Front airbag on stock front suspension

40desoto

Has anyone replaced their front springs with airbags?

In particular Im wondering;

What size cups where used if any and how the cups or bags where  attached to the lower control arm,?

Where the top of the airbag was mounted to the top of the frame where the original spring was mounted?

and whether the spring pocket on the frame had to me cut to make more room in order for the airbag not to rub on the frame?

Any help is greatly appreciated

I can't help you but you maybe able to get some info on the HAMB...........although some of the "traditional" police may find their nickers twisting their gonads.........lol...........have you thought of contacting places that make/sell airbags?...........andyd 

• Haha 1

Thank You Andy.  I have researched the HAMB and other sites. Theres plenty information but have not ran across any that have done a 40’s Mopar.

I have a general idea and most have cut the side of the frame to make room for the bag. My frame appears to have a large pocket for spring so I was hoping someone had done a 40’s Mopar and can share their experience.

C903E887-7B71-4B11-A0FA-1935085EE49E.jpeg

64A1C217-E4C4-43DA-BFB1-D9E450B4B16C.jpeg

Edited by 40desoto

so why do you want to replace the coil spring with the airbag is the first question? The second issue that I would have is if the airbag goes bad on you on a tour and you are not near someone that has experience with fixing and or replacing the air bag then you are might be disable for several days.  If you are on the road with the replacement coils spring this would be an easier fix and I have a 39 desoto that still has the original coil springs and still going strong.

So you then have to cut the fraont suspension housing and then you are stuck with the air bags for the rest of the cars life and if done incorrectly it does not look good for resale.

Are you a member of the National Desoto club?

rich hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

27 minutes ago, desoto1939 said:

so why do you want to replace the coil spring with the airbag is the first question? The second issue that I would have is if the airbag goes bad on you on a tour and you are not near someone that has experience with fixing and or replacing the air bag then you are might be disable for several days.  If you are on the road with the replacement coils spring this would be an easier fix and I have a 39 desoto that still has the original coil springs and still going strong.

So you then have to cut the fraont suspension housing and then you are stuck with the air bags for the rest of the cars life and if done incorrectly it does not look good for resale.

Are you a member of the National Desoto club?

rich hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Hey Rich, I completely see, understand , and respect your point of view.  This car is now completely a full custom car. Years ago I debated with myself what route I would take and made the decision to make it a custom car to my flavor that I will be proud of.  Im not in the hobby for the resale value but more to turn some heads and have some fun with interesting conversations with some kustom car enthusiasts and  builders here in So. California.

Ive only seen one other 40  desoto coupe in the area and it was fully custom with a 40 lincoln Zepher  rear deck and tail. Real head turned and has won awards at Grant Nationals roadster show here in Pomona, CA.

I love the custom car culture here in Southern california and cant wait to get my 40 desoto coupe with the 265 flathead .

Thanks for your input Rich. Ive always received great input from many knowledgable folks on this site.

40Desoto:  Thanks for the explanation for the reason to install airbags instead of coil springs. I do respect your idea of a custom 1940 Desoto. Just tryingto point out what might be a situation from my view point.  Are you also planning on changing out the egine to a more modern engine.

Rich Hartung

On 5/12/2019 at 4:35 PM, desoto1939 said:

40Desoto:  Thanks for the explanation for the reason to install airbags instead of coil springs. I do respect your idea of a custom 1940 Desoto. Just tryingto point out what might be a situation from my view point.  Are you also planning on changing out the egine to a more modern engine.

Rich Hartung

Rich, I just realized that I circled around you question as to why the airbags.

I decided to go with airbags so I can lay the car as low as possible when parked and raise the car to the desired height when driving.  Ive had a 64 cadillac with airbags for the last 15 years and Im very happy with it.  I love the fact that I can raise a bit higher to get over driveway ramps, etc.

this is the look Im going for.

B31CE07F-7568-472D-95AD-0410D1F8B006.jpeg

AC741C67-446E-4759-8A6F-AC3BE2A83070.jpeg

B72F08BD-EA7C-402F-84B0-B73BE9ED63C0.jpeg

• Like 5

Rich.........wash your mouth out.......lol..............those are Frod lights, methinks 1937-38 Frod...........lol........but I do agree, it DOES look nice,,,,,,,,,lol.........its funny that for years I don't think any  1940-48 Mopar 3 or 5 window coupe could have been given away but over the past say 10-15 years they have now been recognised for what they always have been, a really nice design and style........just a pity we didn't realise this ourselves and corner the market while we had the chance...........lol.............regards from Oz............andyd 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Some work over the weekend.  It appears I got lucky and They’re  not rubbing on the frame. The Bottom control arms have not been modified to accept the airbag.  Its just mocked up to see fitment.

DD0AC1AB-118F-4E37-B36B-41FCF4C8BA13.jpeg

13CC56D1-6288-4447-A28F-7E203E760A09.jpeg

CBFFE6EA-C632-43DA-A1F5-9D35276D84FF.jpeg

54D53860-C86C-4801-BD55-20EBFCB12C2B.jpeg

Edited by 40desoto
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 5/28/2021 at 1:52 PM, Jason K Dodge said:

That is low, I like it!  Do you have dropped kingpins also or is that just with the bag in and aired down?   Do you have any updates and more details on the progress and pics? ?

Hello Jason, never imaged it would be me to state this but.......  newborn, home remodeling, career and age started kicking me in the butt a bit more than I though.  I usually dont sleep much and able to handle multiple project.

No updates but recently discovered that old-time lowriders around the Los Angeles area commonly used hydraulics or Airbags on these cars. Usually cutting the frames spring bucket to avoid airbag rubbing.  I think Im going to cut a piece out of the frame to avoid the potential of the airbag “ballooning” over time and rubbing the frame.  

• 4 months later...
On 5/31/2021 at 1:44 PM, 40desoto said:

Hello Jason, never imaged it would be me to state this but.......  newborn, home remodeling, career and age started kicking me in the butt a bit more than I though.  I usually dont sleep much and able to handle multiple project.

No updates but recently discovered that old-time lowriders around the Los Angeles area commonly used hydraulics or Airbags on these cars. Usually cutting the frames spring bucket to avoid airbag rubbing.  I think Im going to cut a piece out of the frame to avoid the potential of the airbag “ballooning” over time and rubbing the frame.  

Hey, I get it.... Work and my wife getting her MBA has me running the girls around... So much so, I am just now getting to this response and haven't done much but move my jeep out of the garage and the dodge in. ?.   The bags need room, rubbing may be racing... But it's disaster for bags. 

Looking great man! I sure wish we lived closer together. I'd come help you knock it out, priming and blocking is one of my favorite jobs. I'll be 50 in Feb, don't think my 49 will be ready to drive by then,haha. I'll be at the roadster show in a few months. A guy I painted a landspeed vw for got invited and he wants me to go. We should get together for a beer. Keep on truckin!!

On 10/8/2021 at 10:59 PM, 40desoto said:

Let me know if your coming to Pomona. Usually take my 1964 Cadillac family wagon to that show. 
a couple more pics of the progress

14E43438-A1FF-466D-9053-8E99258BDF4F.jpeg

5B1613BB-62E6-41DC-9144-C32A0DD11CCD.jpeg

Wow,.. That is looking amazing!  I really like how that is coming together. That is going to be a real head turner.  

On 10/8/2021 at 9:19 PM, 40desoto said:

My goal is to get it on the road for

my 50th bday.  September 2022!!

65CE51DE-CC3A-483D-8660-839D4D76BCEE.jpeg

Did you end up cutting some of the frame out to prevent rubbing?  What size bag are you running?  Did you do any modification to the spring seat on the bottom, flip it to the lower side of the a - arm or cut and replace the top with a traditional airbag seat? 

Jason, I didnt do that yet but thinking I will because there is only about 3/8 of an inch space.  If the airbags shift or balloon they might start rubbing.

I did weld a plate on the lower arm to adapt for the air back.  I did not flip them.

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

@40desoto Looks like we're coming up on that 50th birthday! How's it going; Did you make some good progress?

Hard to tell but is it the original side valve or something else, the triple carbs suit the style tho either way but not sure about the Frod headlights on the other two Custom DeSotos........lol.....andyd

9 hours ago, MacGyver said:

@40desoto Looks like we're coming up on that 50th birthday! How's it going; Did you make some good progress?

Ha!  Yes not going to meet my goal of getting it on the road before my 50th next month.  A baby and wife not working to care for our daughter has slowed me down a bit.

73B39961-4809-4A2E-BF42-61CBB295E920.jpeg.2e7b1fadd269f74a53aa37a82072548f.jpeg2B54142B-51EC-4A80-932A-0DED7ABA0D4E.png.c47f1b0a6b500fd07abccb702275967d.png

• Like 3