Spring start up

greg g

Battery charger on over night, couple shots of ether, vroom vroom, ride around the block 170 degree temp, 5amp charge rate at cruise, 30 psi oil pressure warm at idle, brake and signals work, two tires needed a couple pounds of air. Don't know where we went for the last drive in the fall, but we sure killed a bunch of bugs. Ready to kill some more. Cruise nights start next week.  Vroom vroom!

Edited by greg g
  • Like 3

Similar routine here Greg. Unplug battery tender, pull choke, pump accelerator pedal six or eight times, turn on ignition with key, step on starter pedal, a couple more pumps on accelerator while cranking and it was running. Just moved in and out of garage to test brakes but all looks good to go. Still need to check air pressures. I love the first start of spring, when it actually starts! Bring on the nice weather!

Your spring is supposed to be a week or two early than ours. Was hoping to get n earlier jump on it but have been fighting flu and pneumonia for just over a month.  So I'm glad it took minimal effort and responded to simple ministrations.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

Weather here in Tennessee allowed me to drive almost all winter, so no spring checks needed. Did put a new set of radials on her a month ago, which replaced the old bias plies, and man, what a difference! Steers great, handles acceptably for a 70 year old jalopy. Did have a small problem today - I was driving her yesterday when all of a sudden the idle rpms drop really low at a red light....What the heck? Ran fine otherwise... Got back home and saw that one mounting nut at one of the vertical heim joints in the carb linkage to the dual Carters had worked itself loose somehow. That allowed the linkage to rotate towards the carbs slightly, which dropped the idle rpms...Tightened it back up, and all is well again...Happy Driving!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After tending to the ol' D24 most of the winter, didn't have to do much get it fired up a couple days ago, actually didn't have to do anything but hook the battery cables back up.  Didn't start right up, it never does, but after some moderate cranking it did come to life.  Left it to idle in the sun while I dusted it off, then took a jaunt up the road in the uphill direction.  Never got over 160, but it was "only" 60 degrees out, not a cloud in the sky, and no insects, yet.  Ran like a top.  First club cruise is tonight (yay!), but it'll be cold and raining (boo!), D24 doesn't have a heater, so we'll take the Bug (some may argue it doesn't have a heater, either, but it has more of one than the Dodge).  I hope everyones' spring start-up is as anti-climactic, and ditto the above sentiments - happy Mopar motoring! 

• Like 1

We actually have cruise-ins year round down here.  I wouldn't know  how to survive up north where it snows......my d24 usually don't sit over a month at a time if the weather is no good on the weekends.  Of course spring only last for about 20 minutes then it's hot! Mobile Al.

• Like 1

Hi all. I've had my '39 Plymouth out a couple of times now in the Vermont spring. I put her to bed properly in the fall and she's in heated storage all winter. In the spring I change the oil, check the other fluids, lube the chassis, fill the tires, hook up the battery and she starts right up.

She was built 80 years ago today according to the build sheet, so happy birthday to Eleanor. She's doing pretty darn good for her age. For her birthday I gave her paint a light buffing, then a good coat of wax. The old girl doesn't look like she just rolled out of the factory, but she's pretty close.

Now I just need to find more driving time. One more year until I retire.

Happy motoring to all.