D14 Wiring harness?

Larkin.19
Go to solution Solved by Doug&Deb,

Larkin.........my Oz 1940 Dodge is an Oz assembled Plymouth based  D15 version that I hotrodded 45 yrs ago, 318 Poly, auto, 4 wheel discs, etc and completely rewired by myself and 12volts using a couple of wiring harnesses from local wreckers that I disassembled, cleaned every wire with turps and disassembled every fitting and connector.......at the time, the mid 1970's it was difficult if not impossible to find multi coloured wire here in Oz, the local auto electricians only had a small range of single colour wires and after I had a couple of half arsed attempts at the wiring I decided to pull it all out and start from scratch, which I did, took a little while and I was lucky that the local auto electrician took pity on me and allowed me to arrived every monday morning before I started work nearby with a range of inane questions..........lol.............generally speaking its held up pretty well, I have everything going thru fuses plus there is a fusible link that came from an Oz 1968 Dodge Phoenix( an Oz version of the 68 Plymouth Fury 111 4dr hardtop) wiring harness that gave itself up to the cause.........I have heard of a couple of companies in the USA that offer aftermarket harnesses although I am unsure whether they would be factory correct which would be cloth covered but if it were me, even if you are keeping it 6volts I would be more concerned about it being easily trouble shot and whether it was cloth covered would not concern me..........places that I'd suggest would be Ron Francis Wire Works and  Rebel Wire are 2 that come to mind...the 2 pics I have attached are the only ones I can find at present that show a bit of the wiring, the one under the dash just shows the metal box above the centre console that all the fusesm and relays etc live in.....the 2nd pic of the engine bay was taken when I had the hood off to redo a few things but you can see the wiring coming thru the firewall on the Oz passenger side using various firewall connectors that I disassembled and reused.....anyway, Welcome Aboard from Oz.......Andy Douglas   

P1010271.JPG

P1000417.JPG

P1010415.JPG

Edited by Andydodge
  • Like 2

• Solution

If you want originality try YNZ harnesses in California. I’ve not used the entire harness but I did buy the trans harness. I have no complaints. The connectors are correct and the instructions were easy to follow. Rhode Island wiring is the other company that supplies. I’ve never heard anything bad about them either.

• Like 2

Larkin........Rhode Island Wiring is one I'd forgotten to mention that has been mentioned on this forum a few times.......andyd