1941 desoto clutch noise

41Desoto51

I have a 1941 desoto that is making a rotational rattling noise when the clutch is let up, when the clutch is pressed down it goes away.  I was thinking (hoping) maybe a throw out bearing?  No local mechanics I called will even touch the car.  So now I am pretty much forced to try and fix it myself.  It is all stock with fluid drive and simplimatic transmission, any input will be helpful.  Video attached showing the noise.

From your description I'd be ordering a new throwout bearing, but it would be good if you could get a 2nd opinion from someone a bit closer than me........lol......Welcome Aboard from OZ BTW...........Andy Douglas

That doesn't sound like a thrust (throw out) bearing noise. Normally throw out bearing noise occurs when you push the pedal in.

There is only one way to find out, pull the gearbox. Or if you box has an inspection plate.

Edited by maok

Quick question, in that video, is the car moving or are you stationery?

Not the tranny. All the clutch does is disengage the clutch and pressure plates from the tranny. My guess is throw out bearing. When they first start going bad you will have a rasping or rattling noise as they lightly ride against the plate spring arms. When you press the clutch pedal down it puts a lot of pressure on the bearing and can make the noise disappear. When the bearing is shot though it squeals like a stuck pig. It might also be a clutch pressure plate chattering. Easy way to tell is adjust the clutch rod in, to take the bearing off the spring arm (it should be off by a 1/16" anyway) and if the noise goes away it's the bearing. If not I'd say it's the pressure plate.

Now this is for just a straight tranny with no fluid drive but I still believe this to be your problem. Just a couple of wrenches and 5 minutes will tell. 

Joe Lee

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sser2 said:

I second the opinion that it is more likely transmission than clutch. What happens to sound when you drive and change gears?

The car does go into gear fine, and the noise seemed to go away at times when the car was driving.  I didn’t  drive it too far as I was afraid of doing more damage.  The car had been sitting since the 80s prior to me buying it last month.  The previous owner basically just got it to run for the sale of the car, I think all he did was drain the gas tank,  change the oil and do the master cylinder and wheel cylinders.

Try disconnecting the driveshaft from the gearbox and run the engine. It sounds exactly like the issue I had on my '28.

6 hours ago, soth122003 said:

Not the tranny. All the clutch does is disengage the clutch and pressure plates from the tranny. My guess is throw out bearing. When they first start going bad you will have a rasping or rattling noise as they lightly ride against the plate spring arms. When you press the clutch pedal down it puts a lot of pressure on the bearing and can make the noise disappear. When the bearing is shot though it squeals like a stuck pig. It might also be a clutch pressure plate chattering. Easy way to tell is adjust the clutch rod in, to take the bearing off the spring arm (it should be off by a 1/16" anyway) and if the noise goes away it's the bearing. If not I'd say it's the pressure plate.

Now this is for just a straight tranny with no fluid drive but I still believe this to be your problem. Just a couple of wrenches and 5 minutes will tell. 

Joe Lee

Thanks,

I will try adjusting the clutch rod in first.  I did take a quick look underneath the car this morning before work and the inspection cover on the bellhousing is gone, so someone has been in there at one time.

Wow, Just had this noise appear with my truck. Yesterday, This exact noise and conditions. My clutch is a new high performance clutch, new everything, bearing, plate the whole shebang. The noise appeared when I adjusted the clutch pedal to give less play, I suspect i let it out too far. I bet you're problem is related to adjustment as well. I will hopefully get mine adjusted today or tomorrow to see if that stops the noise.

12 minutes ago, Greg51T&CWagon said:

Wow, Just had this noise appear with my truck. Yesterday, This exact noise and conditions. My clutch is a new high performance clutch, new everything, bearing, plate the whole shebang. The noise appeared when I adjusted the clutch pedal to give less play, I suspect i let it out too far. I bet you're problem is related to adjustment as well. I will hopefully get mine adjusted today or tomorrow to see if that stops the noise.

Keep me updated if the clutch pedal adjustment helps with the noise.  I probably won’t get to mine until Friday or Saturday.

• Like 1

I suspect that your throw out bearing is rubbing on the clutch fingers when released. There should be a spring that pulls it away from the fingers when not depressing the pedal. If it doesn't do that then it can rub and chatter against the clutch fingers as it spins.

This can also apply to Greg51T&CWagon. If you adjusted out too much free play the throw out bearing may now be contacting the clutch fingers when it shouldn't be.

9 hours ago, maok said:

Try disconnecting the driveshaft from the gearbox and run the engine. It sounds exactly like the issue I had on my '28.

Yeah, forget this idea. IF its stationary then it wont be the driveshaft.

• 3 weeks later...