1951 Chrysler Windsor Reverse Back-up Switch

imaspaceguy90

Hi guys,

I am stumped. I am trying to locate the back-up light switch on my 51' Windsor Deluxe. The original wiring was gutted and I am in the process of re-wiring the whole car. The last thing I need to do is to locate and wire in this switch. The car has the M6 Fluid Matic semi-auto trans. I checked all around the transmission and see no switching devices (except governor, interrupt switch, and solenoid). The car has reverse lamps, so I am assuming it came factory equipped. My only guess at this point is that it was a cabin mounted switch somewhere. I attached the wiring diagram that shows this switch. Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Zach

51_C51.jpg

Edited by imaspaceguy90

I rigged a backup switch for my Tip-Toe transmission. 

Since the shifting linkage doesn't use the usual First Gear position, I only needed a switch for the one shifting arm. 

For a standard transmission, you would have to add a switch for the other arm, and wire them in series.

Gearshift lever back and up, both switches closed.

The switch is an after-market brake switch, using the Common and Normally Open posts. 

Slightly out-of-focus photo follows. 

73606666_Backuplightswitch-reworkedarm9-1-2018.JPG.0454cea88d20221894b49a856da5c717.JPG

• Thanks 1

Some 51/52 Chryslers have the BU switch at the steering column engine side of the firewall.

IMG_2339.JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Thanks 1

Yea... they did a lot of minor design changes on 1951-52 cars... six and eight?

Further digging and I finally figured it out. There was a suspicious plug on linkage cover. I bought NOS switch in eBay for 10 bucks on a whim, a BAM, we have lights. I have attached photos. Who knew there were so many variations to accomplish the same task. Thank you guys for your help!

Screenshot_20190504-121116_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190504-121036_Gallery.jpg

Mine has an optional back-up lamp and switched on from dash due older transmission without reverse switch hole.

One day I ran across this 1948 with M5. It's simplicity was a surprise. Too my luck I found one on eBay. Switch was not working properly. Found NOS switch on eBay. 1300644 There are 4 switches for sale on ebay now. Bracket can be made.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1946-49-CHRYSLER-DESOTO-49-50-DODGE-BACK-UP-LIGHT-SWITCH-W-AUTOMATIC-TRANS/142954221331?epid=1723736426&hash=item2148bc4f13:g:CfQAAOSwwE5Wa1fK&frcectupt=true

Now reverse lamp turns on when in reverse or manually. ?

Edited by chrysler1941

• 1 year later...

Anybody with a picture (with some perspective/context) on where it is on the 1948 M6 transmission (Chrysler Windsor)?

This thread has the picture and suggests it to be under the radiator -- https://p15-d24.com/topic/24165-quick-question-brake-light-switch/

45 minutes ago, wagoneer said:

Anybody with a picture (with some perspective/context) on where it is on the 1948 M6 transmission (Chrysler Windsor)?

This thread has the picture and suggests it to be under the radiator -- https://p15-d24.com/topic/24165-quick-question-brake-light-switch/

See post #11....MoPar optional accessory back up light kit Bee Hive back up lamp and trans side cover mounted switch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay, I've figured it out...now that I have a parts book for 46-48 C38 (Must have alongside the shop manual).

1948 and earlier (not sure about 49), the backup switch indicated in the 48 wiring diagram is part number 1157855 -- a physical knob on the dash somewhere referenced   in #13 by@chrysler1941

1949 or possibly 1950, the switch was converted into a transmission mounted automated switch part number 1300644 -- a switch mounted on the transmission actuated by the reverse linkage (see #11 above).

To be original to my car -- 1948 Windsor -- Then I need the dash mounted knob 1157855.

@chrysler1941 Would you mind sharing a picture of how the knob is mounted on your dash and where it would have been mounted from the dealer? Also, Would you share a template or tracing of the bracket so I can make one too please? I can't find the bracket anywhere, but probably now I was looking in the wrong generation of vehicles...

s-l1600.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-15 at 10.10.00.jpeg

• 4 months later...

I'm wondering if you, wagoneer, got this resolved and if so, where you got the switch. I've got a 1947 Chrysler Windsor that looks like it's got the P/N 1157855. I'm not sure because it's broken. Where did you install it? I removed mine from under the dash, just left of the steering wheel. 

Is it a manual switch? Why are there 3 connections? My schematic only shows 2 and when I disconnected it, there were only 2 connections, one from the ignition switch and the other directly back to the backup light.

Also, I'm wondering which parts book you've got. There's no mention of a stop light switch in the parts book I've got. It doesn't even show a backup light on the picture of the rear of the car.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

5A75E27D-9FEB-44FE-811C-B7F83E7AB857_1_105_c.jpeg.31608e045a2d97846b2c13cc374091f2.jpeg

• 2 months later...
On 2/4/2021 at 4:39 PM, Lorne said:

I'm wondering if you, wagoneer, got this resolved and if so, where you got the switch. I've got a 1947 Chrysler Windsor that looks like it's got the P/N 1157855. I'm not sure because it's broken. Where did you install it? I removed mine from under the dash, just left of the steering wheel. 

Is it a manual switch? Why are there 3 connections? My schematic only shows 2 and when I disconnected it, there were only 2 connections, one from the ignition switch and the other directly back to the backup light.

Also, I'm wondering which parts book you've got. There's no mention of a stop light switch in the parts book I've got. It doesn't even show a backup light on the picture of the rear of the car.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

5A75E27D-9FEB-44FE-811C-B7F83E7AB857_1_105_c.jpeg.31608e045a2d97846b2c13cc374091f2.jpeg

1. Solved it myself? No, not yet. I have not solved it myself as it's still on my todo list. I have had to fix a litany of other things in the meantime. I am still keen to see where the dealer/factory nominally installed it. I don't know why there are three - maybe one is a ground. I'm also a bit on the fence whether I want to go with the manual knob or retrofit the bracket from the M6 to my M5 transmission, and use the same switch from the m6 instead of the knob. 

Thanks a ton to @chrysler1941 for sending me a template of the part. I'm attaching it here for others to benefit from.

2. Parts Book - March 1949 C-38 Chrysler Parts Book. - This is the last one exclusively for the C-38/39/40s and is the most comprehensive on the Mopar accessories. I have the 1948 version too,  and, in comparison, the 1949 is much better visually and completeness. 

For clarity, I am referring to specifically the back-up light switch that is manually switched when you want to enable the beehive light on the rear or of the vehicle when you want to indicate to other you are about to or in the process of reversing your vehicle. 

Stop signal light switch IS automatic and part of the normal vehicle and separately listed. I attached a wiring diagram marking backup light in green and stop light in red.

I don't have my parts book handy to look up the part number for the stop light signal, but I think you have in hand the back up light switch.

3. The C38 wiring diagram also indicates only two wires .... Not sure why it has the third.

1875981658_wiringdiagram-c38.jpg.210b437a1a7b28f0dc3c5ffa2b784947.jpg

20210402_141020.jpg.63c8e00fdb0de908d7a0b3f0fb637d74.jpg

Edited by wagoneer
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, wagoneer said:

1. Solved it myself? No, not yet. I have not solved it myself as it's still on my todo list. I have had to fix a litany of other things in the meantime. I am still keen to see where the dealer/factory nominally installed it. I don't know why there are three - maybe one is a ground. I'm also a bit on the fence whether I want to go with the manual knob or retrofit the bracket from the M6 to my M5 transmission, and use the same switch from the m6 instead of the knob. 

Thanks a ton to @chrysler1941 for sending me a template of the part. I'm attaching it here for others to benefit from.

The third lead is for the bulb under the knob. Mine will illuminate the knob when turned on.

I have both connected. Before the new switch, I always forgot to turn it off after reversing. Now I only use the knob function if I need to flash the idiot behind me because of his high beams Xenon/LED headlights ?

Wagooneer, you're welcome. Did you receive the traced template? If not, here it is again.

Image.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, chrysler1941 said:

The third lead is for the bulb under the knob. Mine will illuminate the knob when turned on.

I have both connected. Before the new switch, I always forgot to turn it off after reversing. Now I only use the knob function if I need to flash the idiot behind me because of his high beams Xenon/LED headlights ?

How clever! These Chrysler engineers really did think of everything though they didn't mark it on the wiring diagram. That slot is light bulb socket, so there should be a wire on the diagram for it? 

Is that "Back up switch" and separately "White Light", or is it pointing to a "white wire" on the left from the automatic door switch, and the right is "backup light switch"?

@chrysler1941 I did receive the template - thank you ! It was too big to post, but I think you should post it in the downloads for everybody. 

image.png.b930a8a137cb75ad325e827147129e01.png

Ok Your diagram has nothing to to with obsolete switch you posted earlier as your 48 is modern ? compared to mine.

Yours should have the transmission switch we have talked about. I don't have the 48 Owner manual, but sure it has no mention of backup switch.

I understand the confusion about the white wire arrow, it has been misplaced. White wire is one side of the switch. 

I colored the route for easier identification. Blue and green are just random colors. Hope this helps.

1875981658_wiringdiagram-c38.jpg.210b437a1a7b28f0dc3c5ffa2b784947.jpg