'53 Suburban rear springs

pflaming

1. How do I determine the condition of my rear leaf springs?

2. If I need new springs, then which additional parts will be required?

3. Source of new

4. Is reconditioning an option? 

if I need new, that's a $500 expense, ouch! 

this is something that you should have investigated long ago before getting rid of your other bodies and chassis you had laying around.  As it is impossible to tell by just looking at the spring off the car....on the car is another matter....it should support the body....less shock....with a predominate arch yet visible....should be able to support X cargo.....and then respond by bouncing up and down and return to the neutral position with the arch....even with x load....it will rebound to the loaded condition...shock do not support the load unless they are air shocks...so if it passes the test, the shocks can then be mounted and buttoned up.  Shocks just prevent oscillation in the suspension.

When I lived in Albuquerque ... a lifetime ago, we had a spring shop down the road, they would re-arch springs on semi trucks, just like new again.

How long they last I have no clue, for my E250 work van, was drop it off and $250 they re-arched them ... pretty cheap for the labor involved.

6 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

you sure going to a lot of speculated expenses at the very end here....you just going to move it to another owner.....as is where is....the car is not anywhere near restored....

Tim, I'm aware of the "condition" of the car and will not list it as restored, which it is not. But I want it to be a solid driver so have "fixed" or replaced most mechanical components. The buyer will know, up front, that very little exterior body work has been done. So, yes, " where is as is."

PS, how much does "hemp" weigh? 

Edited by pflaming