speedometer color change

scruff

My D-24 does the same thing but there is no prism....there is a piece of clear material that is dyed green, yellow and red and a bulb shines through it.

A long time ago someone on here had their p-15 speedo apart and ??? recolored it to shine better??? @Young Ed maybe....its been a long time.

From the original Oz 1940 Dodge Sales Brochure...." The Speed Indicator takes the form of a bead which in moving over the dial glows Green at speeds up to 30mph, Amber from 30 to 50 mph and Red for speeds over 50mph.........its actaully just a clear part on the circular plastic moving indicator and coloured green, orange and red on the speedo which is allowed to be seen thru the clear area when it moves, simple but effective.........andyd 

P1010397.JPG

Been driving these old Plymouths since I was 16 & it was always a hoot to

go fast enough to see that red speedoo. Had a '57 Buick with a linear speedoometer

that did the same thing. Probably there were other makes likewise equipped.

7 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

My D-24 does the same thing but there is no prism....there is a piece of clear material that is dyed green, yellow and red and a bulb shines through it.

A long time ago someone on here had their p-15 speedo apart and ??? recolored it to shine better??? @Young Ed maybe....its been a long time.

Yup I sharpied mine and I got the idea from someone else on here I believe David Maxwell

• Like 1

It went to red as that is the color of blood..  My first motor swap was a Chevy 265 with a powerglide in a 47 Ply.  The speedometer read about 15 mph fast at 65 mph so my passengers were very uneasy when the speedometer turned blood red and the needle read 100.  LOL

• Haha 2

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 12:53 PM, Frank Elder said:

B) Learn something new even after 27 years with the D24.  I Knew the Plymouths' speedos changed color, but had no idea the Dodges' did, too.  Never occurred to me.  Wow.