Temp guage sender thread

John S

I want to use the old original mechanical temp guage  in my 41 Plymouth.

The sender is to big for the hole in the intake and i need to drill/thread a new one, so my question is if anyone know what thread the original temp sender has?

Plyma 41.jpg

Edited by John S

the sender unit (fixed bourdon tube) should be mounted on the driver's side of the head, about 3/4 or so from the front of the engine....if so equipped with oil filter, it will be adjacent to the filter lid...there is no sender in the intake....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

46 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

the sender unit (fixed bourdon tube) should be mounted on the driver's side of the head, about 3/4 or so from the front of the engine....if so equipped with oil filter, it will be adjacent to the filter lid...there is no sender in the intake....

I dont have the original Engine (318 LA).

now the real important facts are being told...lol  if I recall, the thread of the sender of the 318 are 3/8 inch pipe....in the case of you using the original bourdon tube gauge, I do not think it will be long enough to reach the position on the 318.   Most all the aftermarket gauges use a smaller bourdon tube with multiple adapters for the water jacket and a jamb nut on the bourdon tube to fix and seal the sender to the adapter...

To add length to the original sender would require a splice and that is a special doable procedure...but again, the tube may not be as large, your splice bush will have to account for this irregularity at time of upgrade.  I do not recall any really suitable place for a rear water port on the intake...