The Windward 48 dodge survivor

Bbdakota

Thought I'd start a thread documenting fixes, improvements, adventures and maintaining the 48. First I'd like to thank all members for the everyday answers to people's questions about these old cars. Before joining the forum, I found answers to many of my questions as I got use to maintaining the 48. So, thank you all! 

My wife and I wanted to buy a classic car to enjoy while I restored my 58 plymouth since I wasn't going to have the 58 done in time for crusin the coast  (2017). The plan was to buy a car, use it until the 58 is done then sale it. So, we located this 48 about 6 hours away and drug it home! 

20170318_141215.jpg

• Like 6

Now I noted the plan was to sale it once the 58 was done but the wife and I have had a ton of fun with this thing! Both of us enjoy the car and really like it....... we are having second thoughts about selling it. It's so relaxing to get in it and go for a ride and forgot the days problems.....This is in front of the USS Alabama 

FB_IMG_1555457164788.jpg

• Like 3

The first thing I had to tackle was the carburetor. It had a carter WA-1 on it and the needle would hang, gas would run everywhere. Luckily I didn't have a fire. Bought a rebuilt kit and it ran great except starting. The accelerator pump bore had a bad spot and it wouldn't pump fuel when pumping the gas. Bought a WA-1 off ebay by it wasn't any good. I fought that for 2 years before finally putting a new carburetor on it. I took a chance on a new Carter type YF, had to do a little adapting but it runs great now.

20190422_160032-1328x747.jpg

I'm likely to step on a few toes for not trying to put the right carburetor on it but after fighting with wore out carburetors fir 2 years, I wanted to gamble on something new.....no regrets! I was a little sceptical about a knock-off no name cheap carb but it works and works well. 

14 minutes ago, Ajgkirkwood said:

the car looks great and i hope you enjoy it, this 58 you speak of, have pictures?

Thanks! The 58 is far from being done but it now has a 5.7 hemi, nag1 transmission, power rack and pinion, power disk brakes, vintage air under dash ac and heat.

20190113_153650-1328x747.jpg

20190331_161854-1328x747.jpg

• Like 1

We enjoyed the 48 for a couple months and I noticed acid seeping out of the battery. Btw, still running the 6 volt positive ground. The lights were good and bright, amp gauge always charging. After a little searching on this site and general Internet searching, I figured out it was over charging. Oh, I also bought a service manual soon after purchase so was able to use it to adjust the voltage regulator. Worried I'd damaged the battery, I put a optima 6 volt in a empty case, had to modify the hold down so it fit.

20170921_160657-1328x747.jpg

20170921_160711-1328x747.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, Worden18 said:

Looks great!  I've enjoyed your thread so far.  Keep us updated ?

Worden, thank you! I spent a couple hours the other night reading 32 pages on your thread. I'm usually not one to post stuff such as this but after reading your thread, kinda pushed me to start a thread. 

• Like 1

Bb..............have to take you to task here.......lol..............whats the idea of posting pics of a new 1948 Dodge 2dr???........lol...........seriously tho' you have a great car there,  as you say, perfect for forgeting the days problems.........I could happily live with both the overall look of the car and the interior, just a nice way to sit, drive and enjoy the view...........and as far as the non stock carby....so what.....it works and thats what matters in my book..........I particularly like the battery setup, I'm a hotrodder but I especially like that sort of trickery that will fool 99% of restorers...........lol..........and the 58 Plymouth is looking good, nice engine swap...........Welcome aboard from Oz......Andy Douglas  

Thanks Andy! I about got my ass run over when I came to Perth. An Americans instinct when crossing the road is to look left for oncoming traffic. That will get you run over when the traffic is coming from the other direction! I looked at your profile and looks like you've been a hotrodder for a long time! My hats off to you!  

Thanks. One other issue is faced was running warm....the previous owner put a aftermarket temperature gauge in it because the original temperature gauge didn't work.  I find a OEM on ebay, much happier with the factory gauge working now. It would idle and run at low rims all day and not get to hot but 5 minutes of running at 50mph would climb fast. I had the radiator rodded out and fixed a small leak but that didn't fix it.  There was no spring on the heat riser so I had to make a stainless steel strap to hold it closed. The biggest problem turned out to be the vaccum advance on the distributor. At speed with low load, the vaccum advance wasn't pulling the timing where it needed to be.  I tried to order one but they where back ordered with no ETA. So I modified a vaccum advance can from a small block mopar. It works! 

Excellent thread, thanks for posting your ongoing adventures with your D24!  We also have a 48 D24, although a 4dr sedan.  It was a piece of junk when we got it in 1991, so I've had to do a lot of work on it, just not a full blown restoration.  We haven't had any troubles with it for several years now, but I'm sure that won't last.  I've got some "puttering around" things I want to do with it, but nothing I'd consider major, and I sometimes get ideas for things I need to do or check from this Forum.  I'd like to read more about that "different" carburetor you installed and how the car has responded, particularly using the fluid drive feature, since the original carb has a retarded throttle return to keep the car from stalling if one chooses to leave the car in a higher gear and not use the clutch.  This is my favorite forum among the several I haunt, welcome aboard!   

Great looking car, one of my favorites.  

I especially like your objective and creative fixes to the little challenges of old car maintenance.

I also like your Hot Rod Plymouth project.  How 'bout a thread on that project.

5 hours ago, Dan Hiebert said:

Excellent thread, thanks for posting your ongoing adventures with your D24!  We also have a 48 D24, although a 4dr sedan.  It was a piece of junk when we got it in 1991, so I've had to do a lot of work on it, just not a full blown restoration.  We haven't had any troubles with it for several years now, but I'm sure that won't last.  I've got some "puttering around" things I want to do with it, but nothing I'd consider major, and I sometimes get ideas for things I need to do or check from this Forum.  I'd like to read more about that "different" carburetor you installed and how the car has responded, particularly using the fluid drive feature, since the original carb has a retarded throttle return to keep the car from stalling if one chooses to leave the car in a higher gear and not use the clutch.  This is my favorite forum among the several I haunt, welcome aboard!   

Hi Dan. Wow you've had your 48 a while! I sometimes wish mine was a 4 door when we have someone or our dog with us. It's a little difficult getting in the back but once back there, very roomy abs comfortable. The carb I put on can be found all over the Internet for less then 100. A knock off of a Carter type YF originally used on Ford 250-300 straight 6. I had to cut the throttle linkage ball off since it was pressed like on and not removable. Then drill the hole just a little so the 48 throttle ball thingy would bolt on. I haven't even adjusted the idle, bolt it on and drive it. No problem with the fluid drive causing it to stall although I think I need to idle it up just a hair. I got a piece of 1/4" brake line to make the vaccum choke tube. The adapter for the breather is a piece of exhaust tube welded to an exhaust flare.

20190301_172105-1328x747.jpg

img1513919989416.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mrwrstory said:

Great looking car, one of my favorites.  

I especially like your objective and creative fixes to the little challenges of old car maintenance.

I also like your Hot Rod Plymouth project.  How 'bout a thread on that project.

Thanks! I got a thread on another forum but could start one here. I didn't think the 58 fit to well into the p15-d24 category. 

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2238209/58-plymouth-savoy-5-7-hemi-nag1-dakota-front-clip-build.html#Post2238209

Edited by Bbdakota
  • Like 1

What......of course your 58 fits on here mopar with mopar motor! I'm pretty sure when your car was brand new it could have been ordered with a 230 flathead. It fits as well on this forum as any purist stocker...welcome aboard you have 2 very nice cars and a cool dog....lol.

I might start a thread on the 58 but first want to get up to the present with the 48. I added turning signals with the clamp on column type aftermarket unit since my car didn't come with turning signals. I has to change the bulb sockets for the duel filament type bulbs. Also replaced the little button reflectors in the tail lights. Most of the ones I've seen are faded pretty bad. Don't remember where I got the replacements.  Here is the car at the Dauphin Island car show. We had a blast that day! 

20170520_120653-816x612.jpg

Another thing the wife and I wanted was a way to charge our phones since sometimes we're gone all day and for crusin the coast, all day each day. I also knew the speedometer couldn't be right, would be nice to plug up the gps for an accurate speed and to guide us around when we are out of town. So I put these 3 pods on a bracelet I built.there's a voltage gauge on the left. 2 usb outlets in the center and a 12 volt outlet on the right.the usb outlets need nothing but wiring straight into the 6 volt electrical system. I have them wired to stay hot while the ignition is off. The 12 volt outlet required a converter and turns off with the ignition. That's a Bluetooth speaker I use to listen to some old hank, elvis, buddy holley....I could go on. It also stays charged by the usb outlets.  

20190422_160203-1328x747.jpg

20190422_160215-1328x747.jpg