Australian 1947 Plymouth SD

47_Plymouth_SD_Aus

Hey all, I own an Australian built RHD 47 Plymouth Special Deluxe 4d sedan. Aside from the TJ Richards-Chrysler Australia history I can't find any specific information anywhere about Australian built cars or any listing of VIN or serial numbers for Australian made vehicles. I also understand that 47 was likely a US imported chassis and a TJ Richard's built body. Would be interested to find out how many Australian P15's were made (from a list of serial numbers?) and eventually find out how many Australian built 47 Plymouth SD's are left in existence. Cheers for your help.

Gidday from sunny South Grafton NSW..........the only book I've seen with production numbers is Gavin Farmers "Great Ideas In Motion".........on page 405 it lists the P15S Plymouth production figures as follows.........'

1946           284

1947           1684

1948           1577

1949           751

Total 4296

plus 29 P15 Plymouth cowls which I suppose were ambulances or maybe meat wagons/hearses............although I have seen pics of 1946-48 Plymouth Ambulances and they appear to have been based on the Richards built sedans, with at least one rear door and external hinges on the front doors which are a Richards 1939-48 body design giveaway.................also 1949 is included as cars were still sold in the following year, 1949,  which would have been made in 1948 and are for all intents and purposes 1948 models and certainty here in Oz would and have been known as 1948 models NOT 1949 as appears to be the case in the Nth American market..........btw I haven't compared these production figures with those numbers shown in the 1946 to 1953 Oz Chrylser Workshop manuals I have..........might do that in the morning..........lol.........the easy way to tell if your car is an Oz TJ Richards built body shell is as follows.......does it have external door hinges?...........what sort of internal door handle  and winder attachment does it have, ie, is it a 3/8 square shaft or "FX/FJ" Holden style large spline............my car is an Oz TJ RIchards built 1940 Dodge........is your cars body essentially the same?.......note upper door shape and trunk lid shape..........and how many are left?..........who knows...........there are of course the couple of Chrysler Restorer Clubs, etc then the numbers on farms, in sheds, etc.........I'd hazard a guess at maybe 100 in total in Oz, doubtful if more than that...........as an example I've had my 1940 Dodge since 1971 and have personally wrecked another 5 sedans and a coupe................I have seen maybe another 5 or 6 1940 Dodge sedans in person since 1971 and know of only 2 others registered, but I suppose there must be a few dozen around Oz ...........anyway my names Andy Douglas..........I talk better than I type.......you are welcome to call if you want more info or whatever........02 66 425 963......and BTW......Welcome Aboard.........andyd        

P1000696 (800x600).jpg

P1000697 (800x600).jpg

• Thanks 1