1948 Plymouth p15 deluxe

monte

Hi I have a question  about the water jacket. I'm just starting my engine  rebuild  and I found  a 1/4 inch  deep pit in the outside  of  the cylinder  wall .l was wounding  if this could be a problem  when  I have the block bored out or if I should try and locate  a new block.

20190419_143444.jpg

good question....was this engine running before tear down.  How far down is this suspected weak spot....if well below the rings and out of the normal higher compression area...and as these are also not pressurized systems....one may be ok... I WOULD have a sonogram on it at the local machine shop prior to spending a lot of money...they would be the only folks that can give you peace of mind here.....as I just took a WAG...they can test for certainty…..

In addition to what Pymouthy said, Do you have the head off? If so measure the wall thickness between the pistons. Since they used common sense back then, logic says that this is the thickness of the piston wall all the way around the piston. Then subtract the pit size from the wall thickness and that should give you more info on what to do about the pit. Like was said earlier, the cooling system is not pressurized, and if the pit is lower than the rings and compression area you will probably be good to go with a good cleaning and sealing of the pit area.

Joe Lee

Wonder what that area will looks like after a good hot tank acid cleaning and wash out??

Could the pit only be an area where the rust broke off in that area and actually Nothing is wrong at all, just heavy corrosion around that spot??

Sonic testing is always a good idea nowadays as they cost of the rebuilds of our motors and other vintage motors has gone way way up??

DJ