Just HAD to buy this one....

joecoozie

I would think that woodies or station wagons were built originally to cater for a commercial market, ie, for the use by businesses and the like that needed a larger carrying capacity but still on a standard car chassis, timber was easier and cheaper to use for the lower production numbers initially, but from what I've read as their popularity increased with the increase in families using them post WW2,  timber for the production numbers became a more expensive option and the use of fake timber panelling then just the normal steel wagon became the norm..............now this is purely from what I've read over the past 45yrs or so and could be incorrect...........lol...........and Joe.............if the wagon is not up to scratch when recieved, just redirect downunder......I'm sure I could learn to love it..........lol...........nice catch........andyd     

16 hours ago, MarkAubuchon said:

Nice buy,  we were also bidding on the car and cars.  We actually went and looked at them at the estate.  The 49 won't take too much to get it up and running.

Thanks.

So you were the competition, eh? Just kidding.

Were you able to buy any of the other cars?

I got the 49 Plymouth delivered to me on Tuesday morning , and as I bought it sight unseen (I was 1100 miles away from where the car was), I was more than happy with it as we unloaded it from the trailer.

I will continue to update as I get the time.

21 hours ago, Andydodge said:

I would think that woodies or station wagons were built originally to cater for a commercial market, ie, for the use by businesses and the like that needed a larger carrying capacity but still on a standard car chassis, timber was easier and cheaper to use for the lower production numbers initially, but from what I've read as their popularity increased with the increase in families using them post WW2,  timber for the production numbers became a more expensive option and the use of fake timber panelling then just the normal steel wagon became the norm..............now this is purely from what I've read over the past 45yrs or so and could be incorrect...........lol...........and Joe.............if the wagon is not up to scratch when recieved, just redirect downunder......I'm sure I could learn to love it..........lol...........nice catch........andyd     

Andydodge is correct in his statement about Woodies being built initially for commercial use. Then the Model A wagons came about and that changed everything.

They became increasingly more expensive to build because of the use of wood and the amount of manual labor that was involved in the fit/finish/assembly of the body to the chassis.

Essentially, a woodie was a hand-built car and what really became the main problem to buyers/owners was the semi-annual upkeep of the wood. Most owners did not keep up with sanding/varnishing because it was a tedious and annoying aspect of Woodie ownership. So, when Plymouth introduced the 1949 All-steel Suburban wagon that was the final nail in the coffin of Woodies. Also, if any of the wood was damaged (accident, rot, etc) it was much more labor intensive to repair the wood (and more expensive) than if it were sheetmetal.

Also, Woodies were usually the most expensive car at the dealership(s) when new.

• Like 1

As a kid growing up in Minnesota in the 50's and 60's we didn't see many of these. But when we did they were a real head turner.

The car/cars came from Concordia Missouri.  Been in storage a long time.  We actually saw the car over a year ago, they didn't want to sell it then, still figuring out the estate. They also had a Packard convertible we were following.  Great car, you don't see many 49's.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I know it has been a year since my last update about the Woody.

Because I was furloughed from work for a few days I decided to do some work on my cars.

The first thing I did was to get the 47 T & C running again (needed the points cleaned). It fired right up.

Then I jumped to the 49 Caddy  - installed new water pump, fuel pump, installed oil filter housing/lines, installed new thermostat and generator bracket.

I finally got to the 49 Woody today and I dropped the oil pan. All I can say is "good thing I did".

There was an inch or more of sludge in the pan and the oil pickup screen was totally gummed up.

I am soaking the pan and will remove the pickup screen and soak that, too.

Joe

• Like 1

9 hours ago, falconvan said:

Beautiful!  Must be a pretty rare item; did Plymouth build those completely or send them to a coach company for the woodwork?

I believe Chrysler Corp had their own wood factory (Pekin Wood in Arkansas) and had the wooden bodies fabricated there for ALL Chrysler Woodies

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 10:34 PM, joecoozie said:

I believe Chrysler Corp had their own wood factory (Pekin Wood in Arkansas) and had the wooden bodies fabricated there for ALL Chrysler Woodies

Actually,  Chrysler used Cantrell, Pekin Wood Products and for my '40 wagon, US Body and Forging Company of Frankfort Indiana.

US Body & Forging is best known for the thousands of Dodge and Plymouth station wagons built by the firm in their Frankfort and Tell City, Indiana factories through 1950. US Body & Forging was more accurately a trade name used by the USHCO Mfg Co. a Buffalo, New York truck body builder that was formed in 1902 as the U.S. Hame Co. Coachbuilt: Chrysler woodies 1933-1950

Here is the ID plate from the woodie when I got it in 2003 and more recently after I restored it. I was told that it was very rare to find an intact brass build plate still attached to the the wagon. I cleaned it up enough to bring out the details.

uscho.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

• Like 1

Beautiful restoration work!?

9 hours ago, Bob Riding said:

Actually,  Chrysler used Cantrell, Pekin Wood Products and for my '40 wagon, US Body and Forging Company of Frankfort Indiana.

US Body & Forging is best known for the thousands of Dodge and Plymouth station wagons built by the firm in their Frankfort and Tell City, Indiana factories through 1950. US Body & Forging was more accurately a trade name used by the USHCO Mfg Co. a Buffalo, New York truck body builder that was formed in 1902 as the U.S. Hame Co. Coachbuilt: Chrysler woodies 1933-1950

Here is the ID plate from the woodie when I got it in 2003 and more recently after I restored it. I was told that it was very rare to find an intact brass build plate still attached to the the wagon. I cleaned it up enough to bring out the details.

Thanks Bob.

I never professed to know everything about what I say.

Thanks for the education

9 hours ago, Bob Riding said:

uscho.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg