1955 c-3-c engine swap with questions

Rjpond

We decided the original 259 was too far gone to warrant the cost to rebuild. So I purchased a 315 engine from another dodge truck enthusiast. Like you fellows said, the 315 fit perfect. The only adjustment needed was to shorten the driveshaft about an inch.  

During our hopeful first start, we learned that the six volt starter from the 259 didn’t mesh well with the flywheel from the 315. It seem that when Dodge changed to 12 volts that the gear on the end of a 12 volt starter was made smaller. 

Can we take the flywheel off the 259 and mount it on the 315? Or are flywheels balanced to their specific engine ?

Or would I better off to bite the bullet and move away from the 6 volt system and go to 12 volts? Are we talking a lot of work to convert to 12 volts?

I am not sure what direction to head, but I’m disappointed that I couldn’t take it out on the road. The old truck hasn’t ran since 1972.

thanks in advance for your opinions or ideas

Scott

12v is a nice upgrade for the 315. It allows you to run a modern 340 electronic distributor, they make high torque starters and alternators that are much easier to get. I am happy with the conversion.

How about some pics or do you have a build thread?

Edited by 59bisquik

Good point on the twelve volt upgrade, one problem I see on changing the bendix is that the shaft size is greater on the 6 volt which is why the bendix is larger. I’ll try to upload a picture or two. My progress is so slow,  that my build thread  progress could probably be captured using a flat stone and chisel ?