Buzzing voltage regulator.

Royal 49

I am a newbie to this forum, and seeking advice for a dumb move on my part. I changed the battery on my 49' Chrysler Royal. Prior to doing so the voltage regulator was buzzing intermittently. After replacing battery, I followed what I thought was the correct procedure to polarize the new original Autolite positive ground 6v regulator and flashed batt to field. Had it been a Chevy it would have worked. I went ahead and flashed batt to ARM, but still have intermittent buzzing. Did I just ruin my new regulator.?

The regulator cut out / current or voltage points might might be stuck closed.

When you hook up one of the battery cables do you get a spark?

If so the cut out relay points in the regulator are probably stuck closed.

Pull the regulator cover off with the battery dis- connected and make sure the cutout points are open (.010-.010" " approx) . The cutout relay points are next to the regulator "B" terminal.

If they are stuck closed carefully pop them apart... re-connect the battery and there should be no spark now.

Positve ground system is used on your Chrysler as on all 1955 and prior 6 volt MoPars...