54 Plymouth R10 rebuild?

59bisquik

I have a 54 Plymouth R10 that needs a rebuild. Some of the gear teeth in the tranny are chipped and broken. I have searched without alot of luck. 1) What is the maker and model of the transmission? 2) Where is the best place for an overhaul kit? 3) What parts do I need for the faster 2nd gear?

I am currently debating keeping this tranny or swapping to an OD automatic. But would prefer to keep this for the originality aspect. Thanks.

A caution when looking for parts:  Don't refer to the OD as a trans id.  That confuses things, what you want is the trans parts, the R10 designation is only the OD.  I assume the T10 in the earlier response was a typo, as that is a four speed trans.

I wish I could help with more trans info.  All I can find in my Hollander is there is a lot of parts interchange in all Mopar standards from '51-59.  But, one has to know if it is a pin type or strut type synchronizer.  you can tell that by removing the side cover and looking at the 2/3 shift collar/clutch sleeve.

I took a look at ebay, and there are a number of parts there.  For instance, cluster gears in th 85-95 dollar range for new.  It might take a while but you may be able to find most larger parts there.  Syncro rings and other small parts may be more difficult.

Ken, thanks for the help. That is exactly my question. I know the R10 is the overdrive tailhousing unit. What do I look up for the main transmission? They are always referenced as a Ford R10 or Chrysler R10, but never the actual tranny model number.

Also be aware that a Mopar R10 is a very different animal than any other R10.  Most of the internals interchange, but the Mopar R10 uses a unique electric shift mechanism.  The guy that rebuilt mine did a great job with gears and whatever, but left a itty bitty little plunger out that eliminated any possibility of actually shifting until another member of this forum clued me in and sent a photo of the missing part.  You've been warned!

Marty

Ok, for those of you that have one you have already mentioned they are tough to get parts for. I was trying to stay as period correct as possible, but would I be better off with a modern overdrive? I have a 325 hemi and see mostly freeway driving.

The Mopar R-10's are a R-10 G-1 for most. Did the 1 change to reflect the change in the blocker rings ( sycho's) in the main gear box?? I do not know that bit of info, but someone like Northwest Transmission Should know.??

The gears for the main gear box are the same as a 3 spd.tranny without the OD. The only difference between the std. 3 spd box and the OD main box is the Main shaft in that box as it is made to connect in the OD add on adapter. I believe that will make the gears much more available as the y are Not exclusive to a OD R-10-G-1.

George Ashe seems to be the Main source of info as to the gear box gear swaps to get different ratio gears in the 3 spd. main  box, OD or otherwise.

I swapped some gears out of my std, 3 spd. that were in better shape than the ones in the OD trans I bought. This was an early type with the brass blocker type synchros, not the (pin) type used  in the later ( year) versions?

Hope that does give you some info that is of some help.

DJ

Edited by DJ194950