49 Plymouth Conv - Install 350 cu.in/Rear end/ master Cyl

Oldtimelampshop

Hello 

I’m looking for any guidance

i bought a 49 Ply Conv about 8 years ago and haven’t had time till now to get it on the road.

im missing starter, flywheel torque, etc  so have elected to install a 350 engine from my first car a 72 monte that’s been fully rebuilt just sitting on the stand. And turbo auto trans.

my goal is simple swap to Enjoy car not a restoration or full modification hot rod. Just simple and safe to drive me and the kids around.

I bought the offset mounts from Butchs Cool Stuff and the Master Cylinder that should be bolt in 

my cousin is very good at car work and going to help me with this all but never done it in a car like this.

Anyone have experience and can give tips on doing this swap???

1. Radiator - keep original? Add cooler? Is there an aluminum drop in? Modifications?

2. Engine to fit - looks like the heater duct pass sides needs removed? Battery drivers side needs relocated?  Any other 

3. Rear end - should I keep original?  Pros/cons?  I do have a 55 chevy rear that I could put in?  Who is recommendation for driveshaft 

4. Brakes - keep front original or disk?

5. Tips on the engine and transmission swap install

6. Tips on anything else!

next will be floors and rockers in the car.

thank you in advance!

6B70D1B5-2CBD-4858-8C73-A5325C2178C7.jpeg

6BC00AE1-9323-448F-8A96-B0596C51F4EB.jpeg

EE60A468-717B-45A0-89E2-B39659E25E34.jpeg

• Sad 1

Gidday from Oz..........o/k so you already have the SBC so thats whats going in it......anyway I would strongly suggest updating the front brakes to discs, as for the rear end as you are swapping out the stock drivetrain then your parking brake on the driveshaft is gone too and its a good idea to have one so I'd be swapping in ideally either a Frod 9" or Mopar 8 & 3/4"...both are available and are lift out pumpkin style which are much simpler to service........as for a radiator the original IF in good condition will work tho there are various aftermarket ones available.........as for the battery I have relocated mine to the trunk, see pic....its that box built into the side, also I have a battery isolator switch on the console, which is also a good anti theft device............so I'd  suggest, do the swap, update the brakes, check that the front & rear suspension & steering  is o/k and rebuild where necessary.........mopars up to 1954 all have essentially the same style of front suspension and so long as its in good condition will easily handle an engine/trans rear end swap and will perform well............I've had a 318 Poly in my car since 1973 and its fine...............I'd strongly suggest getting a shop manual for the car as it will assist in keeping the rest of the car in good condition.........welcome aboard............Andy Douglas      

P1000810 (800x600).jpg

• Sad 1

Sorry man gonna step out on a limb on this. Or are you here to stir up the Mopar pot, 350 SBC phooey.

Car like that should not be bastardized with a chebby 350.

Just plain blasphemous.

That is a beautiful car and what a shame.

Your car your the boss I get that but with a car like that just plain wrong..

Edited by 55 Fargo
  • Like 2

55 Fargo   That’s fine and I hear ya. My goal was restore original. Engine has old dual carb setup and a Sears Allstate rebuild tag on it.  Firewall still has factory white stamp.

i spent over $2k years ago on my 350 and it sits.   

So unless you want to help with a go-fund-me LOL.  It makes sense for me to use what I’ve got.  Plus I’ve got a cousin who’s generously going to help me get it on the road.

converting to new engine and auto and safe brakes will let me enjoy it with my kids and later in life they or the wife can easily drive if choose 

But I hear ya.  I’ve felt strongly to keep original the whole time I’ve had it.  Just getting too old and need to get projects done any way I can now

It is his car and he is free to do what he likes to enjoy it. In some cases money isn't there to restore a car to factory. There is one huge thing he mentions that tells me this car is planned to be a keeper. Hes using the motor from his first car. That to me is super cool. It has the heart from his old car which he clearly loved or else he wouldn't have rebuilt it and kept for a special car. With a new timeless style. It's not a case to stir the pot, the chevy motor is what he had, he didnt buy it planned to put in the car, he had it before he bought this car and he planned to keep the flathead but hes missing parts. Ps I want that dual carb haha

I weight in to the point that many folks would do BOTH cars.....if the beloved Monte was that incredible, has/had a place dear in his heart, seems that would be job-1 and fix it up.  Those early style are fetching quite the price and a honest reality check shows MORE repop parts for less costly overall rebuild.  As for the Plymouth engine, nothing on them that is rare or expensive and in the end the man would have two golden beauties to be proud of.   Dollar for dollar and return of that in the unforeseen or never expect forced sale...one should follow the theme for the higher return.

48 minutes ago, Oldtimelampshop said:

But I hear ya.  I’ve felt strongly to keep original the whole time I’ve had it.  Just getting too old and need to get projects done any way I can now

That is never an excuse to cut a corner....we have older folks here doing excellent work and well, we have our share of corner cutter also...the detail of the work defines the builder...

Thanks all 

sadly my monte got hit around 2000 . 

I didn’t have classic insurance back then so a fight to keep the car.  I started to restore with engine first, then body. But became unemployed.  I then thought I’d never finish it and traded the car but kept the motor to use in something.

the Plymouth I bought cause I’ve always loved the body style.  When I was about 10, my father and I went to look at the exact same car Nd Convertible for sale. As we were trying to close a deal, a man drove up and pulled owner aside. Owner then told us sorry car was not available and sold it out from under us.

so this car is not for sale.

For such a car not being rare or expensive, so many people seem very concerned of my way of now getting it on the road to enjoy it.

You all act as if I’m chopping up a Duesenberg or something.  

And Mr.Adams my father and I went to buy that car because I liked it.  He has his own bodystyles he likes. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Oldtimelampshop said:

For such a car not being rare or expensive, so many people seem very concerned of my way of now getting it on the road to enjoy it.

And Mr.Adams my father and I went to buy that car because I liked it.  He has his own bodystyles he likes. 

Hey List OLS,

Your car, your money, your the piper who calls the tune.

Dont expect a group dedicated to Flathead Mopars to dance to your music.

This is a Mopar site and you come here flexing a 350 sbc transplant, might be some backlash.

I realize it aint a Duesenberg, but it ain't a 49 chebby either.

Many on here would feel as I do but might not voice it, I did.

Go to the HAMB or Chevy Talk or a streetrod site like Hotrodders Bulletin might be a whole lot more info on this type of swap.

I realize reading added posts you have your reasons for this.

Again your car, your choice whether I agree or not.

Enuff said.

Edited by 55 Fargo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Oldtimelampshop said:

59 minutes ago, Oldtimelampshop said:

Thanks all 

sadly my monte got hit around 2000 . 

I didn’t have classic insurance back then so a fight to keep the car.  I started to restore with engine first, then body. But became unemployed.  I then thought I’d never finish it and traded the car but kept the motor to use in something.

the Plymouth I bought cause I’ve always loved the body style.  When I was about 10, my father and I went to look at the exact same car Nd Convertible for sale. As we were trying to close a deal, a man drove up and pulled owner aside. Owner then told us sorry car was not available and sold it out from under us.

I went back and looked. nothing indicated this car was for a 10 year old boy....it was written your father wanted to buy it...so naturally I mentioned how nice it would be if you would build the car more for his memory at the loss of him getting that one.....sorry, will not mention that again.

Well the car has an X frame so that's a whole different thing.  Man that car is way to nice to go butchering up !!   If it has a Sears rebuilt its probably already bored out 60 thousands.. Should be on the tag if its still readable.   Id look for an overdrive trns. or install a 99 year type Explorer rearend.  Disc brakes are a must.  If you still want a Chevy V-8 id get a 327 because of the front mounts location and exhaust manifold outlets location.  IMO

3 hours ago, Oldtimelampshop said:

Thanks all 

Everything has a price. Where in Ohio are you located? There are several forum members in or near Ohio and they may be able to assist you. 

Is this you?    https://collectlamps.com/about.htm

old time lamp.jpg

I do not have an issue with someone wanting to put a different engine in one of these old cars.  However, when I hear that people want to do it because they feel they need to do it to make the car reliable I want to scream. Since I have used a 1947 Desoto nine passenger sedan here AS MY DAILY DRIVER in the middle of San Francisco for over a decade...

A 1949 Convertible can be made to be reliable enough for 99% of the driving you will be doing with it. I would get into my restored 1949 Desoto Convertible and drive to go see Don Coatney in a heartbeat if I had a reason without thinking one minute about reliability.

Put a SBC in it if that is what you want. But, like another poster said, you can sell the SBC and with that money make the car very reliable. I have been driving single master cylinder cars for 40 years and only once have I had a total failure. It was a brand new wheel cylinder seal that was bad from the factory.  I know check them all even if new.  But one failure in 40 years is nothing to worry about and the properly adjusted emergency brake slowed the car down just fine and that was on a hill in San Francisco!

James.

Edited by James_Douglas
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 55 Fargo said:

Hey List OLS,

Your car, your money, your the piper who calls the tune.

Dont expect a group dedicated to Flathead Mopars to dance to your music.

This is a Mopar site and you come here flexing a 350 sbc transplant, might be some backlash.

I realize it aint a Duesenberg, but it ain't a 49 chebby either.

Many on here would feel as I do but might not voice it, I did.

Go to the HAMB or Chevy Talk or a streetrod site like Hotrodders Bulletin might be a whole lot more info on this type of swap.

I realize reading added posts you have your reasons for this.

Again your car, your choice whether I agree or not.

Enuff said.

Mr. Fargo,

I certainly respect your opinion on what should or shouldn't be done to an old Plymouth.

However, the 'tag line' at the top of the Forum site says: 

P15 - D24 Forum

Mopar Cars and Trucks

30s to 60s

Flatheads to V8s

Stock to Custom

Not arguing with your stance, but if this site is not welcome to customs, perhaps the owners/admins should clarify.

Mr. Oldtimelamposhop: FWIW Most of us 'blasphemous' individuals take the hint very quickly and tread lightly in this forum.

Edited by kbuhagiar
  • Like 2

Hi all

i do appreciate all the views and comments.

Yes, that is me (well an older picture)  I collect lighting and antiques. and that’s why I do have an appreciation for original.  

As mentioned my plan was to keep it original.   That changed.  Understand I can sell the monte engine, but not happening I kept due to from my first car. 

I see the post on original cars and reliable.  Yes, I get that.  I’ve got an original 48 Pontiac with flat 6 and 58,000 miles.  Runs like a top.   I’m prob listing it this year for sale. Not sure.  But I’ve now got an 8 year old and a One year old.  I enjoy driving old cars and feel more safe with at least One car having a newer drive train with them in it.  Keeping in mind of other drivers these days too 

The comment anything’s for sale.  Well tempt me then?  Maybe I would sell.   Keep in mind, I don’t need the money.  But if price is right and someone wants to Truly restore it. Then perhaps that’s a good home for it.

you can email me thru my website 

Edited by Oldtimelampshop
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kbuhagiar said:

Mr. Fargo,

I certainly respect your opinion on what should or shouldn't be done to an old Plymouth.

However, the 'tag line' at the top of the Forum site says: 

P15 - D24 Forum

Mopar Cars and Trucks

30s to 60s

Flatheads to V8s

Stock to Custom

Not arguing with your stance, but if this site is not welcome to customs, perhaps the owners/admins should clarify.

Mr. Oldtimelamposhop: FWIW Most of us 'blasphemous' individuals take the hint very quickly and tread lightly in this forum.

Hey appreciate the "Newer Site Guidelines", however it does not mention a SMALL BLOCK 350 CHEBBY.

Not to mince words...lol

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

Everything has a price. Where in Ohio are you located? There are several forum members in or near Ohio and they may be able to assist you. 

Is this you?    https://collectlamps.com/about.htm

old time lamp.jpg

Don what are you doing?

I and some others may not agree with old lamps 350 swap ideas, you  a PI Don?

Edited by 55 Fargo
Futile Effort

Ok so what I'm seeing in this thread is everyone flaming the OP because of his plan to use the 350. That said. Who would pitch in on a go fund me for him to buy a new to him monte carlo to drop the motor in and help him with the starter, flywheel etc.

I got some flywheels, idk if it work cause they are 8 bolt. 143 tooth I believe 

4 minutes ago, Ajgkirkwood said:

Ok so what I'm seeing in this thread is everyone flaming the OP because of his plan to use the 350. That said. Who would pitch in on a go fund me for him to buy a new to him monte carlo to drop the motor in and help him with the starter, flywheel etc.

I got some pop bottle he can redeem if he will pay shipping to his house..? 

22 minutes ago, Ajgkirkwood said:

Kirkwood the OP can build it anyway he so chooses.

Does not mean I agree with his choice as Im sure many others.

Go fund me...?

Get real, on the HAMB there was a Go Fund Me for the San Diego highway Man.

He blew the engine in his 55 Mercury Rescue Wagon.

This ole guy rescued a lot of people stranded on freeways of So Cal.

It was a worthy effort.

Is this?