1948 Plymouth - Rare Accessories?

Cold Blue

Looked at a 48 Plymouth 4 door Special Deluxe for sale locally. Must be the most original 48 I have ever seen, with some accessories that must be rare. A vacuum operated fan for the driver (it works!), a GM under-dash tissue dispenser, a Comet Sunscreen, back-up lights, a front bumper bar with what looks like factory fog lights. And the original "Final O. K." inspection tag. Pictures are attached. 

DSC01860.jpg

DSC01857.jpg

DSC01858.jpg

DSC01856.jpg

DSC01855.jpg

DSC01861.jpg

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

look at it as big win with the tissue holder...GM stand for General Messes....

Yes! LOL! A question - in one of the photos of the Kleenex Tissue holder, you can see the heater. I do not recognize that heater - all I have seen previously have "Mopar" written on them; the one in my car is a Mopar Model 36. Have you seen a heater like that one? The way the heater hoses connected at the fire wall under the hood was decidedly different too.

Heater looks to be aftermarket after Chrysler wanted 13.95 for the Mopar basic model. The Comet sun shade is a pretty rare piece these days.  I have two fans both electric, one has rubber blades, one metal in a wire cage.  My dad put one in his 54 Dodge on the package shelf as a rear glass defroster.  Did you know that on Deluxe models the passenger side wiper and interior sun visor were options?

31 minutes ago, greg g said:

Heater looks to be aftermarket after Chrysler wanted 13.95 for the Mopar basic model. The Comet sun shade is a pretty rare piece these days.  I have two fans both electric, one has rubber blades, one metal in a wire cage.  My dad put one in his 54 Dodge on the package shelf as a rear glass defroster.  Did you know that on Deluxe models the passenger side wiper and interior sun visor were options?

No - didn't know that. And I think you are right. The heater does look to be aftermarket. And the heater hose connections were completely different on the fire wall - that does say "aftermarket". That makes me think the original owner added the fan and tissue dispenser later on.

My brother has what looks to be the exact same vacuum operated fan on his '33 Plymouth. It was on the car when our dad bought it in 1976. Also my '48 Plymouth DeLuxe has the passenger side wiper and interior sun visor.

Last summer I saw such a vacuum ventilator in a vintage US car at a meeting.

Since then it definitely is on my wishlist ! Still have to find the right one for me ...

vacuum_fan.jpg.9b379c3b580ae3abcfb8f725c0914b12.jpg

There are some on ebay, mostly Trico, sometimes also other brands

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R1.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xvintage+cacuum+fan.TRS0&_nkw=vintage+vacuum+fan&_sacat=0

also google search `vintage vacuum fan` pictures

https://www.google.de/search?q=vintage+vacuum+fan&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_0-TTpcHhAhURiYsKHTcVAkgQ_AUIDigB&biw=1600&bih=763

Edited by PT81Jan
link function added
  • Like 1