Sprocket timing marks

Hemibear426

Are the sprocket dot marks  supposed to be  adjacent to each other when #1cylinder is in compression at top dead center, mine don't seem to be? Thanks for any guidance.

Gotch'a and understood and thank you so much. It appears that when my engine is on a compression stroke at top dead center, that my cam and crank sprocket dot marks are not together. I assumed, mistakenly I believe, that when both the cam and crank shaft marks were next to each other that this was on a compression stroke TDC. Thanks again.

I could have done better at answering your question but often my thinking also includes many of the previous threads where folks confuse the damper and pointer and be off 180 with timing (electrically)  but yes, when your gears dots are at closest proximity to one another and the dots are aligned though that imaginary line drawn between the center of the cam and crank...your engine is MECHANICALLY synced....I also recommend at this time you should ensure that the oil pump gear is aligned to the cam if you wish to have it set up as per the book for future reference.  Then drop you distributor into position with #1 wire in the approx. 7:00 position...this will ensure any future repair can be made by the book and also for ease of tune-ups as it is easy to pull the distributor and replace points on the work bench. 

I just came in from the shop after getting the oil pump aligned such that I could get the rotor at the 7 o'clock position. Took me several tries to get the tooth alignment correct. This of course was done with the #1 piston at TDC on a compression stroke. I packed the oil pump with Mopar motor assembly grease. Is this okay?

That's how I did mine.  Also, for the initial start up, set the pointer to 5 degrees before tdc then hook up a 6 or 12 volt bulb to the points side of the coil. Turn the dizzy till the bulb turns off then lock down the diz.  With everything else hooked up, it should fire right up.  Mine did.

2 hours ago, Hemibear426 said:

Took me several tries to get the tooth alignment correct.

Even using the factory repair manual to to this, I had the same Fun!  ?

Glad to see you did spend the time. __You and any later owners?  can hopefully appreciate your efforts! ?

Sure makes life easier in the long run!

DJ