1937 Plymouth P4 Body Only Weight

cturboaddict

Getting real close to pulling the body off of the frame on my 37 Plymouth resto. 
Anyone have a great guess as to what the body weighs only? No doors/no glass/no front end. Just the cab and trunk?

Curious how big of a task I need to treat this as. (I don't have a lift)

Yeah, I don't recall exactly off hand, but these cars weigh less than 3,000 pounds, a bit surprising for their appearance.  Heck, I had a 2013 Beetle that weighed over 2,000 lbs more than our four-door D24. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cturboaddict said:

Getting real close to pulling the body off of the frame on my 37 Plymouth resto. 
Anyone have a great guess as to what the body weighs only? No doors/no glass/no front end. Just the cab and trunk?

Curious how big of a task I need to treat this as. (I don't have a lift)

I had my 38 Coupe body hanging on the garage rafters for a couple of years...

Not very heavy, like one would think.

Makes it great for paint work..

th_38plybody4.jpg

• Like 1

Engine trans come in bout 750 rear axle springs about 200, bare fame can be lifted easily by three or four people 300 for front suspension and steering. 200 for wheels and tires. Bumpers and brackets another hyndred. That leaves about 1200 for body and interior fenders hood trunk lid and doors seat remove those that, leaves about six hundred for main body shell.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, greg g said:

Engine trans come in bout 750 rear axle springs about 200, bare fame can be lifted easily by three or four people 300 for front suspension and steering. 200 for wheels and tires. Bumpers and brackets another hyndred. That leaves about 1200 for body and interior fenders hood trunk lid and doors seat remove those that, leaves about six hundred for main body shell.

Nice breakdown. Thanks!

• 7 months later...

So, I was digging my brain how I could do this without buying a lift. I need to be able to get working on the underside of the car and wanted a way to roll the frame out from underneath. At the same time, I didn't want a gigantic body cart that couldn't be broken down. So, I designed this 4 leg adjustable system where each leg can raise quite a significant amount (4' clearance under car), and the body mounts slide/adjust to varying widths. You can adjust all the leg locations, and raise/lower the small body mounts as well. With a cherry picker on the front and some jacks/blocks in the rear... I was able to assemble my "cturboaddict 2000 body dolly premier" between the frame/body. Now, I can just lift the front and repin the legs at a higher height and roll the frame right out from under the body.

Engine Stand.jpg

• Like 2

You originally said no doors or glass...........with the doors and glass as shown I'd think you would be well over 1000 pounds, maybe up around 1200, but thats just a rough guess, the steel frame tho' looks like it can easily handle the weight, just make sure you work SAFE..............regards from Oz........andyd

45 minutes ago, Andydodge said:

You originally said no doors or glass...........with the doors and glass as shown I'd think you would be well over 1000 pounds, maybe up around 1200, but thats just a rough guess, the steel frame tho' looks like it can easily handle the weight, just make sure you work SAFE..............regards from Oz........andyd

It's more than capable. I was running out of room to have the frame beside the body plus my 66 mustang project in the garage. So, I'm leaving the doors on now until I get it back down on the frame. 

I'm going to throw some steel saw horses underneath as well just to be sure, I trust it. But I always try and be extra safe. Hoping she's not up there long regardless. 
But I need to get everything fit on the frame first before I bring her back down. So, we'll see. 

My 37 hung from the carport for many years on ratchet straps.      Even with the doors, it is still not very heavy, no floors though.     When I first bought my pair of 38s,  in 1986,  I could move one of the bodies around the yard by myself, and I was never a strong person.     I would guess body only, about 400 lbs....

386.JPG

Many folks outside the hobby think these old cars are really heavy. Some were - I thinking big luxury cars from back then.

Chrysler listed the weight of my '39 Plymouth touring sedan at just under 3,000 lbs. What's surprising is the new mid-engine Corvette is listed at 3366 lbs. Most people would think the Corvette is a really light car.

Pete

My 1940 Dodge was 2900 pounds when stock, had it weighed yrs ago with the 318 Poly, cast iron Torqueflite, 4 wheel discs, bucket seats, mags etc and it was 3300 pounds.......the 2016 Camry the wife drives is almost the same weight, lots of doubled panels and seams........andyd