Jack Nut, Nutsert advice

NickPick'sCrew

NPT has a stubborn broken bolt that won't come out (tried everything short of cutting in out with a torch) including heating up and cooling down etc.   Its an attachment point for the body to the frame, directly into the frame (picture below).  It looks to be fastened into a jack nut (or another type of nutsert).  Couple of questions:

1. innovative ideas for removing the bolt or nutsert altogether?

2. We are also considering just cutting the bolt flat to the frame and re-tapping the frame a few inches back with a new nutsert.  Replacing that area of the floor pan anyway so we can just relocate the hole in the process.  Advice on where to source a sufficiently large and strong jack nut etc.?

IMG_0620.jpg

Edited by NickPick'sCrew

Drill it out carefully ( centered 100%)  just to the start of the threads and run a 3/8" X 24 tap cutting what's left of the original threads out.

Some times too I weld washer.. then a nut on top of the washer ... this will make it easy also to remove broken off bolts.... using either a stick or MIG welder. 

Skill is required.

That's how I've always done that exact same frame clinch nut.

• Thanks 1

If that spot just to the right of the problem is what it appears to be in the photo - rust holes, you will need to patch that area anyway, so I would suggest cutting a hole there, and then feed a weld nut of the correct size & thread count through the hole and then weld it into position.  Use a short piece of bolt stock with a wire welded on the tip of it to pull the nut into place.  (After knocking the existing nut out, drill 3 or four small holes around the perimeter, so you can weld through the frame into the flange of the weld nut.)  Others may have a better idea, but that's what comes to mind.

[Note: I was writing this while the previous post was made, so that sounds like the best first option to me.]

Edited by Eneto-55
  • Thanks 1