Wiring

David T

I posted this pic in another topic, but it seemed appropriate to post under a "wiring" topic.

The previous owner converted the system to 12V.  By the looks of the wiring, I am not sure how the hell it ran.  After setting the fuel system up, I will need to rewire his work.  I have plenty of wiring experience on motorcycles, none on cars.  Does anyone have a schematic or suggestion for how to rewire the system?  I will be buying a new alternator as well..... 

This is not the worst....the wiring in front of the horns is bad as well...and...all the tail lights/turn signals were removed as well...

I appreciate any suggestions and help!

F1EA8D6F-406D-4335-AE59-82DF2925E265.jpeg.236d5600dddf0d2bc524c8251a9019c6[1].jpg

wiring is often an issue in the older cars...rough due to normal wear and tear, add in a few on the fly repairs by a less than knowledgeable person or possibly a few added accessories that were later unbolted but wiring left in place...you soon got this nightmare.  I saw a very nice M37 at the swap meet, clean as a whistle, walked by a bit later the hood was up, they were having ignition problems...under the hood the inner compartments, firewall engine showed no signs of cleaning much less painting action to reflect any level of the work done on the body.  The wiring harness was also a bowl of spaghetti...many crimped spices, lots of splices with just tape over the twists....had to shake my head and walk away.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

20 hours ago, David T said:

I posted this pic in another topic, but it seemed appropriate to post under a "wiring" topic.

The previous owner converted the system to 12V.  By the looks of the wiring, I am not sure how the hell it ran.  After setting the fuel system up, I will need to rewire his work.  I have plenty of wiring experience on motorcycles, none on cars.  Does anyone have a schematic or suggestion for how to rewire the system?  I will be buying a new alternator as well..... 

This is not the worst....the wiring in front of the horns is bad as well...and...all the tail lights/turn signals were removed as well...

I appreciate any suggestions and help!

your first call is going to have to be what power system you wish to utilize, the stock 6 or an upgrade to 12.  If staying stock your choices are limited, you wiring will need be heavier gauge and to stay looking period correct be cloth covered wired with special treatment to the terminals.  (no modern plastic terminal will fit into this theme)  If you go to 12 volt you have an option of many generic wiring harnesses based solely on the number of circuit breakers for added circuit to allow upgrades for modern accessories already optioned in the harness.  These are much less costly than the 6 volt original style wires...but again you need to know what your end use and accessory state will be on completion so to buy the proper harness.  consider also some companies will make harness for x make and model of components for these retrofit of accessories...be sure if you are not 100% comfortable with wiring that the instructions will cover the base model of the maker of parts you plant to upgrade with.    

I have 49 fuses, 9 relays and 2 circuit breakers on the 48....all being utilized.....but, you will not need near that however...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I already ordered all the cloth wire I need to rewire.  I will likely keep the alternator as I am only getting it running to drive it around a bit until (might be years) get the 5.7 put in it.

That's a mess.  I've never liked getting someone else's project where they didn't remove any of the old wiring when installing "new" wiring for whatever purpose.  I've found it easer to just remove all the old stuff and start fresh, that way it's the way you want it.  Unless you suddenly develop a passion for wiring cars and want to rewire it again later, I'd rewire for 12v with your end goal in mind so you'll have one less challenge when that time comes.  Basic circuits for the good ol' flathead for now, with additional room/circuits for the needs of that 5.7 in the future.  But as PA noted, if you wire for 12v you have to stick with it, wiring for 6v will easily transition to 12v (not the other way around tho) but there is additional cost due to heavier gauge requirements of 6v..   

Not very costly, I will salvage the parts I can (minus wire), the wire I already have, or have ordered it add that to the fact that I am doing the work myself the total bill at start is less than a couple hundred and only because I opted for cloth wire.

When I (if) I make the charger swap into the P15, I will likely use the wiring harness/PCM ect for the 5.7, rewire it to simplify. 

It is a mess and I agree with Dan, I hate getting someone else's wiring project, it is easier to rip it out and redo it.  Its already setup for 12V, so that's how its going back.  I am using 16, 14, 12 and 10ga wires.  Hopefully this week I can get started.   Pics will follow. 

• Like 1

Looks like my 39 Plymouth when I bought it. Previous owner crimped new to old and some old had no insulation, so he taped it up. Some crimps came loose. I re-wired one wire at a time and also used an original schematic for confirmation. I bought 4 spools of 4 different guage wires, soldered and used heat shrink tubing on all connectors. I added separate relays for dim and bright lights and horn. I also added 2 fuse panels/blocks, one for "always hot" circuits and one for ignition circuits. I also added 3 braided grounds (body, frame, engine). When finished, I made a new wiring schematic showing fuse panels, wire gauges and routing. The next owner won't have a problem locating wires and connections in an upgraded system. Lights are halogen and bright. Horn is loud. Charging system is great. I used wiring harness tubing to protect all wires.  It's a long tedious process, but worth it.

Edited by Dennis Detweiler
correction

I rewired my 1950 Dodge Power Wagon by removing the old harness and starting fresh with a 12v alternator and coil.  Start with the ignition circuit first, then do the lights, horn, and gages next.  If you break the rewire project into pieces it's not that difficult.

The last few cars I rewired I just started with a universal 12 circuit wiring harness from Ebay; they are really inexpensive. That gives you a good base for all your lighting and accessories plus a fuse box. Then I just used the wiring diagram to add what wasn't covered in the kit. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Circuit-Universal-Wiring-Harness-Muscle-Car-Hot-Rod-Street-Rod-XL-Wires-New/262582318862?hash=item3d2320370e:g:YVwAAOSwFrtbLbyA

1 hour ago, Los_Control said:

wish it would work for 6 volt  :(

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rebel-Wire-6-VOLT-8-Circuit-Universal-Wiring-Harness-USA-Made/163528715482?hash=item2613122cda:g:NkMAAOSw~NZcWvs6:sc:USPSPriority!95350!US!-1&frcectupt=true

Not So Cheap just keep 6 volts, no wonder so many change to 12 volt.

DJ

A guess- (1) a wrecking yard cheap alternator.

(2) from a Nissan ?

I would never use it but since you plan to change in the future anyway??

DJ