CHS Ricardo Cavallero S.R.L manual steering boxes

bkahler

Does anyone know if these   kits fit the C series trucks?  The location is very different but I don't know if the internals may be the same. Don't know that mine needs anything beyond seals and adjustment as I haven't disassembled it yet, but it has obviously leaked for a long time and may have some wear that is beyond adjustment.

If I remember correctly CHS Ricardo Cavallero had various kits available.  I had to provide them make/model of the truck and also casting numbers from the steering gearbox so they were sure their parts were correct. 

Considering my steering wheel originally had about 1/4 turn play in it and now it doesn't have any I consider it a worth while fix :)

Brad

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

bkahler Hello, just wondering if you filled out a 5106 form for customs and at the time was ask from Ricardo he needed account # and  Tax ID  on wire transfer. My bank isn’t putting any personal information on wire transfer. Not sure if it was like this in 2019

thank you for your time.

David 

David,

Yes to all of your questions.  I filled out 5106, provided my tax ID (aka ssn unless you own a business and have a business ID) and bank account #s.  The requested info seemed over the top to me but after talking to my bank, talking with Ricardo and reading wayfarer's response to my question I decided it was worth the risk.  From what I understand it was just pretty much a normal international business transaction.  This purchase process happens thousands of times a day around the world.

Ultimately you'll need to decide based on your comfort level.  I have no regrets making the purchase and I'm quite satisfied with the kit and the final end product.  If you do decide to make the purchase, when performing the replacement of the wheel pay close attention to how you reinstall the pin.  The info in this thread should explain everything.

I hope this helps you make your decision.

Brad

• 8 months later...

My 1951 DeSoto has worn wormgear. Someone successfully used Ford parts, anyone can advise me if any Ford part will fit mine? Here in Finland there is even less used parts than you guys in states have.....I need only wormgear, oil seals, gaskets and shims. There's numbers on Gemmer, stamped 4 and in casting 31228.

99218480-28D3-40B0-B657-CB0BD2F7FFB8.heic

Edited by Moscowiz

On 2/24/2024 at 9:02 AM, Moscowiz said:

My 1951 DeSoto has worn wormgear. Someone successfully used Ford parts, anyone can advise me if any Ford part will fit mine? Here in Finland there is even less used parts than you guys in states have.....I need only wormgear, oil seals, gaskets and shims. There's numbers on Gemmer, stamped 4 and in casting 31228.

99218480-28D3-40B0-B657-CB0BD2F7FFB8.heic 2.06 MB · 8 downloads

This may or may not help:

https://thirdgenauto.com/product/1937-48-ford-48-52-pickup-steering-shaft-worm-gear/

https://www.joesantiqueauto.com/steering-worm-gear-78-3524

https://cgfordparts.com/steering-box-worm-gear-37-48-pass-39-48-merc-37-52-pickup-18-or-97-78-3524-x.html

:cool:

I ordered worm gear for 53-60 Ford pickup from cgfordparts. It has 88 stamped in it, like Desoto's original. And it is perfect. Now it is installed, waiting for oil seals and then I can reassemble my steering gear. I am so happy I found correct part.