My oil filler tube isn't tightly seated in the block and I'm concerned it will fall out or leak or both. I'm thinking about using Aircraft sealant to seal it and hopefully make it stay in place, but that seems shaky. Has anyone else dealt with this? Is there a way to expand the bottom of the tube a little bit so it won't be so loose?

20190326_173339_resized.jpg.8b2e4a2dbcfea7019f4dfa60ee68168c.jpg

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B

Expand it with a small exhaust pipe expander tool or a socket that's just a slight bit larger...work it just a little and keep checking the fit till it taps down into the block some what firmly.

You can also roll a large diameter bar or pipe that just fits inside the tube and roll the oil fill tube diameter slightly bigger.

Shown are different sockets and extensions that just barely fit into the tube and can evenly expand it slightly.

Oil Fill Tube Expanding (1).JPG

Oil Fill Tube Expanding (2).JPG

Oil Fill Tube Expanding (3).JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mine also had about a 1/2 inch wide metal strap that wrapped around the oil filler tube, and then one end extended over to where the coil mount is bolted to the head.  The section that went over to the bolt had a notch in it.  The notch slid into place under the bolt, along with the bracket holding the coil. 

• Like 3

1932600331_04262012057.jpg.78af5e7e27a41f3ae25e04579bee4bc5.jpgFinally found an old photo that showes the "oil tube clamp".  Not sure if I attached it correctly, but I will try again if this does not work. 

Edited by Frank's 49
adding photo.
  • Like 2

Here is a pic of the car bracket....

Oil Fill tube Bracket.JPG

• Like 1

I don't think all flatheads use the clamp either.

A tight fit is good to prevent oil leakage.?

• Thanks 1

Well, I thought I was organized, but I slipped up a little bit this time. I checked around on my parts shelf and there was the oil tube clamp. The idea of using a socket to expand the bottom of the tube also worked. Thanks much to all who responded.

20190328_153526_resized.jpg.26d3f53aa6fcbfcbe708172f96518f43.jpg

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B