52 Dodge Wayfarer new seats and seat belts?

Ewald Walter

First time posting so greetings all!

I'm buying my first classic car (52 wayfarer all original with 39000 original miles) this week (providing it looks as good as the pictures in the ad). Providing everything goes as well as I hope I know I will need to add seatbelts so the kids can go for a ride. Here are my questions:

1. Does anyone have any recommendations on quality aftermarket seat belt kits?

2. Talking with the current owner, the front seat is showing enough wear that the foam is showing. That being said:

A. Does anyone know of any aftermarket seat replacement options? If not,

B. Any recommendations on seat covers or manufacturers that someone could point me to?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards

Mat

Mat......welcome aboard...........re the seat replacement, you may find that you maybe able to get an upholsterer to redo the stock seat for a cost less than buying and installing a non stock seat........also if a pair of bucket type seats are used then you will need to fabricate proper under floor mounts at least for the inner seat mounts and possibly for the outer depending on how close the new seat mounts match the stock seat mount holes......I can't help re seat covers tho" I'm sure some guys here should be able to help..............as for seat belt kits, I think Juliano's do various seat belt kits although they are probably at the high end of the market............also it depends on what type of belts you want.........I installed retractable lap/sash belts on the front seats of my 1940 Dodge 40 yrs ago and lap/sash on the outer postions of the rear seat and a lap belt on the centre position...........I also installed child restraint mountings on the rear parcel shelf 40yrs ago and updated them last year to suit the newer style mounts...........although this is an old pic( the torn seat has been repaired, lol)................ it sort of shows the upper mounting on the B pillar which used a threaded plate that I installed via a hole in the upper pillar and rivetted to the pillar, the 7/16th upper seat belt bolt holds it securely to the pillar.........both the outer and inner front seat belt bolts have strengthening plates underneath the floor with nuts welded to them........the rear seat belts also have strengthening plates as do the child restraint fittings on the parcel shelf........I dunno if any of this helps...........regards from Oz..........Andy Douglas      

P1000816 (800x600).jpg

Finding a good shop to redo your seat really is the cheapest and best option.

Many seat belts on the web are available, just make sure that they are certified to US standards. I personally like Julianos.com  belts. USA made, certified, many colors and styles. They were one of the first in the aftermarket parts  for cars and have been around for years in business.

One place to not shop for the cheapest is seat belts in my opinion only.

Enjoy your new car if you decide to purchase it .

Before purchase though you should get under the car with something sharp ( nail,pick, or similar) and probe into all the underside side sheet metal. If the seller has any problem with this pass on the car unless the sell price and your Own level of sheet metal repair can do the work required work. These cars always have had rust issues. Many here have done it. Repop sheet metal parts are few and far between.

Hoping you find a great , nice car and enjoy it!

DJ

I want to first thank everyone for the recommendations and guidance. As to buying the dodge, I'm disappointed to say it didn't happen. Unfortunately the car was not as good as the pictures made it look. Guess that happens when the pictures were taken in 2013!!!! So the search goes on for a car here in the great state of Wisconsin. 

Thank you all again for your help. It's much appreciated. 

Regards

Mat

Edited by Ewald Walter

You'll get there......main thing is to try to get the most complete, clean & tidy car you can find if at all possible...........we've all learnt that the other alternative is not always the best option.........but sometimes its all thats there.......ain't old cars fun...........lol............andyd