1951 fargo truck starter

Hello, I am the new owner of a 1951 dodge Fargo pickup here in Canada.

Truck was not running due to botched 12v conversion and bad wiring.

Got the truck running very well but my 6v auto lite mch 6106 starter running on 12v only engages some if the time. This is the foot operated starter. Mostly it just spins when engaged but occasionally after whacking it hard with a 2x4 it will turn the motor and start the truck.

What are my options for 12v starting the rest of the truck is converted.

Thanks.

Sorry, I can't offer you advice on your problem, as I a don't have a clue as to what was done converting your truck to 12 volts , all I can say is that I also own a 1951 Fargo pickup - 6 volts, positive ground , everything agrees with the factory manuals , and I have no electrical problems … ?   

Running an older chrysler 2 field alternator and regulator for 12v. The advice im seeking is in regard to replacement starters. Do any later models fit? I do not mind going to key ignition start.

If i repair the 6v starter i have im wondering how long it will last@12v

Thanks

I've been running 12v on my factory 6v starter for years. Never had an issue with it, but I did tear it down to clean and lube it up a long time ago. That would be my first step. Also, check out the flywheel teeth while you've got the starter out. I've seen the starter gear wander back into the ring gear when the engine is running, you just hear this wierd "ching ching" type noise. Fun fact, they're wound to turn the same way regardless of polarity, or at least mine is.

28 minutes ago, 1951fargo said:

Thank you for the reply im going to attempt to remove it and disassemble 

This is an exploded view of the starter, hope this helps

Fargo Starter.png

You might find this information useful as well - adjustment of pinion clearance in figure 9...

340114279_FargoStarterAdjustment.png.ebaa018d6b2b4d95c29242384487c046.png

Edited by T120

• 1 month later...