Turn Signal switch replacement

Robertcat

I have a 48 D-24 town sedan.  This car came with the original turn signal option.  Recently it has been getting stuck after I push it up or down.  The only way to free it is taking off the cap and playing with it with a screwdriver.  I know I could always buy an aftermarket universal unit but I would like to keep the original look.  Any advice where to look for a used working unit or someone who refurbishes the existing ones?   Thanks. 

Make sure you have both springs shown in the picture otherwise it won't cancel or operate correctly...

Turn Signal Switch 1941-48 MoPar Cancel Springs.JPG

• Like 5

I have an issue with my turn signal unit as it will not stay in "neutral". it will default to the left, down or right, up position.  haven't really noticed if the self cancelling works as I really haven't driven it yet. am I right in thinking that I have to remove the steering wheel in order to get the unit off to work on it? and is this a fixable issue or is it an indicator of being worn out. thx 

If this is on a P15, then the turn signal unit is an external device.  (My car didn't have one - probably never did, so I cannot show any pictures.)  If it is self canceling, then it probably engages a wheel of some sort mounted to the underside of the steering wheel.  Maybe then you WOULD need to remove the steering wheel to get at it.  But it may have a removable cover that would allow you to get some white lithium lube in there, or see what the cause of the problem is.

My DeSoto has two tabs at the base of the steering wheel which engage the turn signal device and candel theturns. 

I presume that, for an aftermarket turn signal device of the time period, a sleeve with the two tabs could be pressed onto the steering wheel. 

Or maybe, the steering wheels came from the factory with the tabs in place,for future turn signal devices. 

Here's the best photo I have:

1301009946_steeringwheelrefinish122012002.JPG.7be77f20f771f7a85190f8dc0fee1fa6.JPG

• Like 1

You have to remove the steering wheel to access the T/signal assembly.

As shown above those two tangs are what cancel the switch on turns...tangs engage the roller wheels

To remove the plastic cover with the steering wheel removed you will find three chrome screws holding the cover to the switch assembly

Turn signal SW 1941-48 (4).JPG

Turn signal SW 1941-48 (3).JPG

Turn signal SW 1941-48 (1).JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

• 4 months later...

Thank you Dodgeb4ya, for the picture in #2. I have the same "Directional Signal Switch" on my '49 D30. I figured there had to be a spring or something for the two top forked arms to function with. My switch will not self cancel. Now, to find a suitable spring.

• Like 1